Well this is a shame....

NvmbrsDoom5

Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota's StarTribune.com reports that after one last, fast and furious hurrah, Star Central of Columbia Heights has closed its back-room concert hall, one of few venues in the Twin Cities metro area that catered to heavy metal head-bangers.

The bar, in a strip mall just off Central Avenue, most recently hosted the third annual Minneapolis Mayhem festival, then local favorites AMERICAN HEAD CHARGE gave the final farewell.

Star Central manager Ken Kautz said it just didn't pay to book local metal any longer.

"That room was shut down four or five days out of seven," he said. "The first two years it was fine. The last year it just petered out. No one was really supporting the scene."

Star Central will remain open, with a smaller stage, and Kautz said he will stick to booking cover bands.

"It's really a shame that it went down that way," said Earl Root, a local musician who hosts a metal show on KFAI Radio (90.3 and 106.7). "I said on the air last week ... 'Yep, another metal memory is actually born,' because I've seen a lot of them come and go in my time."

Read more at StarTribune.com.

That's a shame, the couple of times we played there, I really liked the place. Good stage, good sound, nice layout, etc. What I'm a bit curious about, is why they didn't manage to book more national acts in there in order to make it a bit more worthwhile to keep open? I know they've hosted the metalfests (like Heathen Crusade and Minneapolis Mayhem) and I've seen it listed that they've had some occasional national tours come through there, but considering the size of the room and that it's all ages accessible, I would think it'd be a good host to more national tours.

It's really hard to find good venues for underground music, especially festivals, that aren't dumps or just too small, etc. So yet another good one bites the dust. Oh well.:mad:

Novembers Paul said:
That venue was very cool. Great size, a cool pool room to get away from the noise, and crowd, a cool seperate spot to eat... What a shame.

It would've kicked ass if ND played the last show..
:kickass: