What´s wrong? I feel my SM57 fuller and tigher than my MD421...what the f*ck?!!

acappa

Alex Cappa TMF Studios
A few months ago I took a good offer on some MD421 and I picked them.
I used them mainly in toms, guitar&bass cabinet. The fact is when I solo my guitar tracks and compare my 57 and 421 that are both in the same position I find the 421 weaker, with more highs and less body, it´s just I expected a different colour as is 3 times more expensive than SM57....
The bass roll off is set to M that is supposed to be the flattest setting, I tried various speaker with the same results....any experience, input or idea????

I see producers as Andy, Collin and many other swear by them and use them in every production...please some one shed some light!

Considering the 421 is generally considered a more "scooped" mic than the 57, it makes total sense the 57 sounds fuller.

421's are odd sounding mics.
A lot of the time, I think they sound better off axis. and i HATE off axis!

Is it a 421-II or an older one? The MkII's have a bit of a bump around 3k compared to the older ones, and that coupled with the scooped character of the 421 could mean it ends up sounding not as full as the 57.

Yeah I heard the same thing, seems there's quite a bit of 421 talk on here just now, probably explains why a whole bunch I was watching on ebay disappeared :lol:

Never heard of fake 421's either. Might be a new thing though...

Try a different position. Just because the SM57 sounds good in one place doesn't mean the 421 will sound good in the same place!!

I ended up using a 421 and 57 on my guitar and our 2nd guitarists guitar-tracks for our new album. I ended up settling on the 421 for my stuff, and the 57 for his stuff. Just depends where you put them is all.