What a mess of a mix! (first go at Nick Crow 8505 sim!)

Lowberg

Aug 26, 2004
Rochester, NY
Here's my first attempt at using the new 8505 amp sim!

UPDATED MIX:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1024616/Following The Winds of Destiny.mp3

Original Mix:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7552849

The song isn't complete, still missing some leads and solos and some vocals.

I need some help with this mix, I always have trouble when I start adding keyboards and vocals. Everything becomes a big undefined blob of sound.

I tried sucking some of the mids out of the vocals and the keyboards but it's not helping much.

Sorry about vocals being real pansy, I'm not a very good growler and my voice lost it's grit by the second verse :lol:..... :(

Let me know what you think of the mix and any suggestions are welcome!

The vocals sound like they could use a bit less bass and some more high end. They sound pretty muddy.
Try sucking out some 200hz.

I need some help with this mix, I always have trouble when I start adding keyboards and vocals. Everything becomes a big undefined blob of sound.

is this quad tracked?

maybe try rhythm guitar goes left, keyboards right.
could be very interesting and helps the whole thing become more focused.

one of the greatest rock guitar sounds i ever heard was on U2's vertigo.
and this guitar is only singletracked and only on the right side :-D
awesome. sometimes less is more.

btw. could you upload a version without the keys? love
to hear more of the new 8505.

is this quad tracked?

maybe try rhythm guitar goes left, keyboards right.
could be very interesting and helps the whole thing become more focused.

one of the greatest rock guitar sounds i ever heard was on U2's vertigo.
and this guitar is only singletracked and only on the right side :-D
awesome. sometimes less is more.

btw. could you upload a version without the keys? love
to hear more of the new 8505.

Oh yeah tht song haha
HELLO HELLO
IM IN A PLACE VERTIGOOOO or some shit

youtubing. one min...

well, that sounds overwhelmingly unbalanced. great sound though.

For a pad that wide I usually end up high passing way up past 150Hz and sometimes bring in the pan faders a bit on the stereo track to say, 75 per side maybe even 50. It sound's great though but I think probably what you're hearing is just the pad filling out out your entire stereo field which in my experience tends to create some rubbing with the other instruments. It also sounds a bit like the pad has a bit of a long decay on it, which means maybe as the chords change there's some overlap of notes so you don't get really crisp chord changes and maybe some conflicts in the harmonic stucture. On a pad with a long decay, I usually drag the tails of the MIDI notes back just a tad until there's no real apparent bleeding over.

But seriously, sounds great! Great guitar and drum tone to my ears!

The vocals sound like they could use a bit less bass and some more high end. They sound pretty muddy.
Try sucking out some 200hz.
+1

Rhythm guitars could use some low-end compression, less 250-300Hz and a little more 6000-8000Hz...
I would try to adjust the level of kick and snare, cause the kick is dominating a bit too much while the snare sometimes gets buried...
Work on the hi-hat velocity during the fast parts (like at 2:33), sounds a bit fake...

Great song, reminds me of Kalmah.

Good work overall!

Sounds awesome man!

I can't give too much information on getting the mix to sound a little more open. I've never worked with keyboards before and I've never had this many layers in a mix.

The guitars do sound great though, as do the drums. How much processing was on the drums in the DAW after the settings in AD?

Thanks for all the input guys! I will post an updated mix once I finish lead guitars and stuff, trying out some of your suggestions!

I cut some of the 200hz of the vocals, and it seems to help!

And some info about the guitars and drums.

Guitars were just TSS>NickCrow 8505> catharsis's impulses
lead guitar melodies and bass are just gearbox

Drums were just Addictive drums, with the kick replaced and a snare sample blended in almost all the way, about 85%

Vocals were a SM7B but like I said, I'm not much of a growler so that's another reason why they probably sound weird.

it sounds really great:headbang:
i'm happy with new 8505.;)
but i've a common problem when i record my guitars and bass.:(
how do you get wide sound in guitars??? when i record my DI and i use 8505, revalver or some amp sim, my guitars are hard panned (100/100) and they sound together...:(
how could i get more wide sound?

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Here's an updated mix! With some EQ work and automation the vocals and some C4 on the guitar tracks to control some of the boomyness. I still have finish the guitar solo though :zombie:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1024616/Following The Winds of Destiny.mp3

I decided to get on the dropbox bandwagon, I didn't realize exactly what it was! Really awesome and easy for uploading stuff!

it sounds really great:headbang:
i'm happy with new 8505.;)
but i've a common problem when i record my guitars and bass.:(
how do you get wide sound in guitars??? when i record my DI and i use 8505, revalver or some amp sim, my guitars are hard panned (100/100) and they sound together...:(
how could i get more wide sound?

hmmm, I'm not too sure, I just have 2 rhythm tracks panned hard left and right with the same 8505 settings, with a pretty wide mid boost centered around 2k

I just tried out the 8505 VST and for some reason I can only hear it if it's panned C or L, panning R cuts all the sound? o_O