What albums are your biggest disappointments of 2003?

ScottG

Apr 29, 2001
Long Island
Opeth - Damnation
Andromeda - II = I

These two are the biggest because one is one of my favorite bands and the other had such a brilliant debut.

Arch Enemy - Anthems of Rebellion
Entombed - Inferno

Haven't really found myself listening to these very often.

Kamelot - Epica

This isn't really that much of a disappointment because I realize Kamelot was never one of my favorite bands.

Angra - Live In Sao Paulo

Not the best sounding live album I've ever heard.

My biggest disappointment would be Enchant's "Tug of War"... even though there are two absolutely outstanding tracks on that album...

Nevermore - "Enemies of Reality" bad songs, poor singing, awful production

others:

Opeth - "Damnation" I was really expecting much more from this

Andromeda - "II = I" At first I liked it... but I grew tired of it... and the glaring weaknesses really started to annoy me

Labyrinth - same thing as Andromeda... really enjoyed it at first... but now I can only listen to about 2 songs... not the rebound from "Sons of Thunder" I was expecting

Iron Maiden - "Dance of Death" Might not count as a "disappointment"... because I wasn't expecting much... and I don't really like Maiden all that much anymore... but it's a turd.

I wouldn't put "Epica" in the disappointment category, even though it's not as good as "Karma"... it's got some good tunes... but the non-song tracks are annoying... why do bands do that?

there's probably more... but I can't think of any right now... 2003 has been a horrible year... and I didn't think it could get worse after 2002

I'd agree Chris, only the Angra live in Sao Paulo is great, the production could be better, but i still like it alot.

Hehe, funny... Enchant´s "Tug of War" is my definite favourite album of 2003. :D
I haven´t bought any new albums this year that somehow disappointed me, and I don´t think those that are still to be bought will do so. Rage´s "Soundchaser" and Dream Theater´s "Train of Thought" should all be great! (Although I hope "ToT" will be better than "6DoiT"...)

my biggest disappointment (and biggest waste of money, but i have to complete the set) is metallica's st anger... what a pile of crap that is!!!! i listened to it when i first bought it and now its just sitting there collecting dust. definitely wont be playing it again.

Oh man, there's a ton of em. This has been a pretty shitty year so far.

Opeth - Damnation: I don't care if it's not progressive, I don't care if it's not heavy, I just wanted some good songs and 80% of them put me to sleep. I listened to it last night hoping that a couple of months away from it would help, it didn't. In fact, it was downright painful. Mikael, please keep that Porcupine Tree dude away from Opeth!!!

Enchant - Tug Of War: The album opens with one of their best songs ever, and then immiedately goes to shit. The songs that follow are really bad, and it doesn't help that the lyrics are laughable. I am told that the last song is great, but I don't even care enough at this point to put the album on.

Gordion Knot - Emergent: All the boys from Cynic back together for the first time, plus a bunch of other brilliant musicians. I didn't expect another Cynic, but I did expect something that would keep my attention. I already got rid of this album.

King Crimson - The Power To Believe: I actually like this album, sort of, it's really good sometimes, and then other days it's horrible. Losing the electronic drums would be a big step in the right direction.

Janes Addiction - Strays: The return of one of my favorite bands sounds like an attempt at gaining fans from the nu-metal audience, yet the whole album sounds surprisingly dated. There's some good songs, and Navarro kicks some serious ass on this album, but overall, it's just too little, too late.

more to come...

Katatonia - Viva Emptiness: This album is finally starting to grow on me, but I still find it to be a very cold and bitter album which the sound I want from this band. It seems like they fealt required to be "heavy" again, and they forced it into songs that just didn't need it. Overall, I think the heaviness gets in the way of most of the songs.

As for Andromeda and the Flower Kings, I listened to those promos when I first got them, but never bought the albums because I thought they were horrible.

The only ablums I've truly loved this year are:

John Arch - A Simple Twist Of Fate
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death
Labyrinth - s/t
Nightingale - Alive Again
Green Carnation - A Blessing In Disguise
Enslaved - Below The Lights
Queensryche - Tribe
Anthrax - We've Come For You All
Dark Fortress - Profane Genocidal Creations

Opeth-Damnation
I was hoping for a great prog rock/metal album but instead got a whole bunch of extremely slow generic rock sounding stuff. I'd take Porcupine Tree over this CD any day.

Metallica-St.Anger
I wasn't expected a definitive metal CD but was hoping for something more in the vein of classic Metallica. Every song on this CD is marred with at least one part I simply cannot stand, mostly when Hetfield tries to sing. Don't even get me started on the production (bangin' on a trashcan)

Queensryche-Tribe
This made me sad, I really wanted to like this album. Sadly I only found the opening song to be the only thing worth listening to, mainly for its great chorus.
The rest of the album tried too hard to do different things, and that one song with the nu-metal sounding rap part made me cringe.

Nevermore-Enemies of Reality
I really dig Nevermore but the production on this CD was so muddy I couldn't really enjoy it at all.

I'd say 2003 has been a fairly low key year concerning really good releases, but alot of the newer announced projects and stuff in the works has me intrigued, I think 2004 will be good for metal.

ProgMetalFan said:
Nevermore - "Enemies of Reality" bad songs, poor singing, awful production
Enemies of Reality showcases Loomis' abilities more so than any other album, BAR NONE. I'm sorry, you're just an idiot.

Hey hey hey, not cool calling people idiots. I don't agree with PMF either, but come on now.

Anyway, my disappointments would have to be.... i'll go with kamelot as well. Good songs, but i havent listened to it much. I really do think the non song tracks take so much away because they are really the reason that i don't listen to it.

I thought despite production, nevermore's EoR is one of the better albums put out this year... very satisfying.

Yeah the Nevermore was a real bummer for me too, screw anyone who doesn't accept others opinions. You like it, I don't, who cares.

Kamelot- Epica was a MAJOR bummer for me, because I absolutely loved Karma, and this one just was...blah I guess. I don't know...their next one better slay.

As for Opeth-Damnation, I loved it. It took a long while to get into it, but I really like it. Of course, I absolutely dig their heavy stuff WAY more, and their next one also better slay. When I saw them on the Damnation tour I was so tempted to scream out DEATH METAL!! But I was too shy.

Disappointed with is much different than hating, so these are the albums I have been disappointed by:

Dead Soul Tribe - A Murder of Crows - lacks the feeling of the first disc, but still very good

Andromeda - II=I - Truly awesome music but the lyrics are mind numbing. A decent disc

Green Carnation - A Blessing in Disguise - a few amazing songs a few crappy ones and a few okay songs. A decent disc

Nevermore - Enemies of Reality - Caught up in its own angst. It has a lack of diversity, the production is poopy, and Warrel does not sound as good as he should. Many killer individual songs but put together just leaves with a tired feeling to the disc. Better than average, but not up to their standard of quality.

Sevendust - Seasons - To me this band has been going downhill since their second album sounding more and more commercial leaves me with anger because I know their potential because of their first two efforts. This has a few good songs, one amazing song, and the rest are shitty. Below average