What amp/modeler was used on Moontower?

Mark_Palangio

On The Fields Of Life
Jul 12, 2005
Greensburg, PA
I think I remember seeing it mentioned here before, but I can't remember what it was. Anyone know? Also, anyone know what guitars Dan used?

A hot rocking setup of Marshall JCM800 lead with 1972 Marshall Vintage Cab miked with an AKGC1000 a bit away to get the room a bit aswell, I compressed it thru a TC Finalizer to even out the very different playingstyles. Sometimes singlestring, sometimes full blast barré chords with tons of distortion. This guitarsound is kind of nice..Which that amp was still around. It had only one sound, but with a different distortionpedal before it sounded classy. It was also used on The Somberlain and Orchid and Morningrise...sold it to a deaf guy :)

Dan

Dan Swanö said:
A hot rocking setup of Marshall JCM800 lead with 1972 Marshall Vintage Cab miked with an AKGC1000 a bit away to get the room a bit aswell, I compressed it thru a TC Finalizer to even out the very different playingstyles. Sometimes singlestring, sometimes full blast barré chords with tons of distortion. This guitarsound is kind of nice..Which that amp was still around. It had only one sound, but with a different distortionpedal before it sounded classy. It was also used on The Somberlain and Orchid and Morningrise...sold it to a deaf guy :)

Dan

Straight from the man himself. :headbang:

For some reason I thought it was a modeler of some kind, but I guess that was for another one of your bands? Either way, that tone is great, and so is the album.

if that sound was to achieve from a modeller, I´d have a container full!!!
the best modelling yet is the free JCM900 from guitarsuite. I use this from time to time and I am always amazed of how alike the real thing it is...

try it. www.simulanalog.org

Dan Swanö said:
if that sound was to achieve from a modeller, I´d have a container full!!!
the best modelling yet is the free JCM900 from guitarsuite. I use this from time to time and I am always amazed of how alike the real thing it is...

try it. www.simulanalog.org

Hmm, I've never heard of that, I'll have to check it out. I hate how the Line 6 POD's and the Behringer V-Amp's sound for metal. They're cool for clean tones and lower gain stuff, but they just sound like crap for metal to me. Thanks for the link!

i think the guitar sound on moontower is very fuzzy. i've heard people complain about it, but to me.... it souns kinda ok. not very standard, more unique, original. moontower to me is very emotional, it's about putting up a fight against your own rage and despair, it's about not giving up (at least, that's the emotions it calls up in me). the tone is brutal, but not sterile like on a lot of death metal albums (like Crimson II for example). those tones are without character and hence not very emotional, that's why i like the moontower tone more for that album :)

i doubt it would work well for faster stuff though, all the riffs on moontower are quite slow.

because of the guitar sound I LOVE the way they come in at the acoustic interlude at Creating Illusions.

Mark_Palangio said:
How exactly does it work? I've never used anything like that before. Could someone explain it to my dumbass? :)

If you have Cubase or something similar. Just copy the guitarsuite dll in your "VST Plugings"-folder
Then open a project and put it into your insert effect chain.
Plug your guitar into your soundcard and play.
That's all

For better results, you can put the virtual tubescreamer infront of the JCM Plugin
So you get more distortion.
Chanel B is the distorted one

Unicorn said:
If you have Cubase or something similar. Just copy the guitarsuite dll in your "VST Plugings"-folder
Then open a project and put it into your insert effect chain.
Plug your guitar into your soundcard and play.
That's all

For better results, you can put the virtual tubescreamer infront of the JCM Plugin
So you get more distortion.
Chanel B is the distorted one

I have Pro Tools, would that work as well?

Mark_Palangio said:
Straight from the man himself. :headbang:

For some reason I thought it was a modeler of some kind, but I guess that was for another one of your bands? Either way, that tone is great, and so is the album.

That has to be Crimson 2, I think that one was recorded with a POD XT (and alot of equalizing afterwards).

Hey Dan, what albums have you used the real JCM 900 on, and what model was it, the dual reverbs, mKIII, or the SL-X? Did you use a pedal to achieve the distortion? Also, what kind of speakers do you prefer, greenbacks, vintage 30s, 75s, ???, thanks.