What are some books worth owning?

Brooks

Eyes Wide Open
Nov 15, 2001
Bay Area, California
skloid.blogspot.com
I received a somewhat healthy Border's gift card for Christmas.

And though I've walked into Border's at least six times since receiving it, I've always walked out empty handed, with the thought that anything I really wanted to read could be found at my local library.

What makes a book worth owning?

What are some books that have made an important addition to your shelf?

well that is a tough question to answer. Most of the books that I think are worth owning probably aren't the same ones you might think are worth owning. And those books probably aren't though worth owning by others.

So, What are your interests reading wise?
Fantasy?
Biography?
Horror?
Learning?

Clive Barker's Weaveworld would be my first investment, for sure.

Yeah, but why own these books, when you can rent em at the library for free?

Do you need to trumpet to the world (or everyone that enters your house) that you've read Weaveworld? Is it such an incredible book that you've read it more than thrice?

The only real purpose I see in owning most books is for reference, for multiple readings, or to give it away to curious friends.

DUNE (a must in any library) Good Omens & American Gods (by Gaiman), or ANYTHING by Terry Pratchett (seriously, its worth owning because I read them over and over within several years)
The Catcher in the Rye, Edgar Allan Poe - collection of his stories, Lewis carrol- the full book (with all of his stories)
The God Delusion & Greatest Show On Earth (both by Dawkins),
I also own tones of art history books but I'm an art history nerd,
I have all of Clive Barker books, and Dan Simmons, and Robert Jordan and King, and gosh I am sure I forget a tone more books that I own right now
but there are so many worth owning! How can you possibly leave a book store empty handed??? I always find myself buying too much.

I have 2 books that I go back to time and time again - "The Power of Now" and "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle. I guess some may call it "new age psycho-babble", but his insight into the human condition has helped me gain a unique perspective of life and they have helped me through some tough times. My copies have notes, marks and highlights that I've made over the course of multiple readings and they are always on my nightstand or in my backpack.

DUNE (a must in any library) Good Omens & American Gods (by Gaiman), or ANYTHING by Terry Pratchett (seriously, its worth owning because I read them over and over within several years)
The Catcher in the Rye, Edgar Allan Poe - collection of his stories, Lewis carrol- the full book (with all of his stories)
I have all of Clive Barker books, and Dan Simmons, and Robert Jordan and King, and gosh I am sure I forget a tone more books that I own right now
but there are so many worth owning!

How can you possibly leave a book store empty handed??? I always find myself buying too much.

How are we not married yet.

1) Books on mythology (make your pick: Japanese, Chinese, Norse, Celtic, Indian etc)
2)The Magus-John Fowles
3) One hundred years of solitude- G.G. Marquez
4) ???
5) Profit

(some reading prior to the second and third is required)

It get's a lot of shit (understandably so), but I second Karen's reccomendation of The God Delusion.

I also think the "Song of Ice and Fire" series is a must read weather you like traditional fantasy or not.

I also think the "Song of Ice and Fire" series is a must read weather you like traditional fantasy or not.
^this, though it's a fucking investment to read. lots of characters, lots going on, but it's basically the pinnacle of the genre. other must-read fantasy is Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora, and R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy. in order, that's gritty-as-fuck subversion of every fantasy trope ever, incredibly entertaining caper/swashbuckler fantasy, and a seriously heavy, apocalyptic piece of work that asks questions about humanity that no other speculative fiction does.

Michael Chabon is one of the best writers working today, try The Yiddish Policeman's Union or The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay for...well, one of the best writers working today.

Christopher Moore is hilarious, but everyone should know that already. If you haven't read Lamb, get the fuck off the internet and go buy it.

Non-fiction! Anyone who has any interest in medieval history should read Eleanor of Aquataine and the Four Kings, by Amy Kelly. Between Eleanor and Henry Plantaganet, those two basically invented the middle ages. Super well-written, makes the infodumps seem not at all like infodumps.

Read Team of Rivals. (Doris Kearns Goodwin). Abraham Lincoln was a bad motherfucker. I have an excellent FDR biography lying somewhere around that I can't remember the name of - will dig it up and get back to this.

Oh, and back to fiction, comic book writer Mike Carey finished his run on Hellblazer with a ton of ideas left, so he created a character with some similarities to John Constantine and started writing novels about him. The first is The Devil You Know, and it's the best urban fantasy I've read since American Gods. Check it out.

1. Are you going to read this book many times - is it something that speaks to you strongly enough to have a copy on hand to read whenever the mood takes you?

2. Is this author someone who you'd like to support financially and provide an incentive to continue to produce more books?

When the answer to both questions is yes, I purchase the book in hardcover (because they stand up to time and use much better).

I made this into a thread on reddit. Has topped 150 comments already, with some fantastic suggestions, too.

Not just because it's the top choice, but I am leaning towards that Calvin & Hobbes box set. It's collectible, worth owning, and is quite simply one of the greatest bits of modern English language literature ever written. And is something that is worth buying new. Most of this other stuff is perfectly acceptable to buy used.

Good to hear about all the books ya'll love!

Cuz someone else already did for ya! :loco:

Half Price Books ftw! There's one in Berkeley, apparently. If it's a big store then it's totally worth the trip. If it's just one of their smaller stores then, ehh.

but there are so many worth owning! How can you possibly leave a book store empty handed??? I always find myself buying too much.

I have the old, old Dune paperbacks from my uncles when they were younger at my grandmother's house. I should raid that shit.

I just ordered the two Eve novels...I'm in a sci-fi period these days. I'll let you know if they suck or if they're worth it.

Also, pretty much anything from Tom Clancy or Robert Ludlum. I'm a huge fan of spy/military/political espionage books.