What are some books worth owning?

The phonebook and the bible... :loco:

Anyway.. yeah.. I have the two books by Dawkins Dead_Lioness mentioned, haven't read The greatest show on earth yet... Too lazy.. And I have Calvin & Hobbes collection on my wishlist on amazon. Great stuff.
The other day I ordered National geographic DVD rom, magazines from the year 1888-2008.. Yummy! Quite expensive for me. 2/3 of the cost were shipping and tax...

Anyway.. handbooks, travelbooks, books that spur critical thinking are always welcome in my collection..

According to peeplz on earth...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books

I received a somewhat healthy Border's gift card for Christmas.

And though I've walked into Border's at least six times since receiving it, I've always walked out empty handed, with the thought that anything I really wanted to read could be found at my local library.

What makes a book worth owning?

What are some books that have made an important addition to your shelf?

You would enjoy Twilight and the rest of the series, as you like things that sparkle :)

1269960817387.jpg

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Four-Agreements-Practical-Personal-Freedom/dp/1878424319"]The Four Agreements[/ame] by Don Miguel Ruiz

1. Be Impeccable with your word - Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don't take anything personally - Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don't make assumptions - Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. Always do your best - Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.

Excellent, excellent book.

It get's a lot of shit (understandably so), but I second Karen's reccomendation of The God Delusion.

I also think the "Song of Ice and Fire" series is a must read weather you like traditional fantasy or not.

Agreed, I've read the series almost 5 times now, just working through 'A Feast for Crows' again and I'm still not bored. But then again I'm a little bias as a massive fanboi... I mean fuck I got Longclaw and the Stark coat of arms tattooed on my arm :lol:

Also, pretty much anything from Tom Clancy or Robert Ludlum. I'm a huge fan of spy/military/political espionage books.

Andy McNab's 'Bravo Two Zero' is pretty much a must read for anyone into military literature imo.

My "Must-Have" Recommendations:

1. 1984 by George Orwell
2. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
3. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
4. Animal Farm by George Orwell (You really cannot read too much Orwell ;))
5. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

And this additional recommendations if these subjects interest you:

God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything - Christopher Hitchens
Consciousness Explained - Daniel Dennett (VERY interesting)