What are some good bands?

TrueBeliever

michael
Jun 8, 2002
london
There are a lot of bands I have not heard yet, and was wondering which ones were worth listening to. Here is a list of bands I have heard of or listen to now, if you think of any other good bands i should be listening to say them.

Absu
American Head Charge
Anthrax
A Perfect Circle
Armored Saint
Biohazard
Bleak December
Brujeria
Cold
Crossbreed
Dark Disciple
Darkthrone
Deadloch
Deicide
Dimmu Borgir
Disturbed
Dyssolve
Fear Factory
Hatebreed
Iced Earth
Machine Head
Megadeth
Metallica
Morbid Angel
Mudvayne
Pantera
Pitchshifter
Powerman 5000
Rob Zombie
Sepultura
Skid Row
Slayer
Slipknot
Soulfly
Spineshank
Static X
Testament
White Zombie

These were left out, but you need them all!
All Albums by:
EXODUS
VIO-LENCE
STUCK MOJO
DEATH ANGEL
ARCH ENEMY
SOILWORK
THE HAUNTED
IN FLAMES

FORBIDDEN 1st two albums
SKINLAB
SEVENDUST
NEVERMORE
TOOL

You have an incredibly varied list of bands there...so I'm not too sure what exactly you're looking for. You also have been defending Slipknot on another thread here, so one might think your taste in music leaves something to be desired...

It seems as if you started listening to quite a bit of crap (no offense) and then began branching out to hear some actual metal (not that Static X or Disturbed shit). But I'll go ahead and make MY recommendations for you to do with what you want.

BLACK METAL (or related): Abigor, Aborym, Agalloch, Bathory, Behemoth, Bloodthorn, Celtic Frost, Dark Funeral, Dawn, Dissection, Dragonlord, Einherjer, Emperor, Enslaved, Falkenbach, Finntroll, Graveworm, Haggard, Hecate Enthroned, Immortal, Kampfar, Moonsorrow, Naglfar, Noctes, Old Man's Child, Opeth, Soilwork, Svartahrid, Thy Primordial, Thyrfing, Tidfall, Venom

DEATH METAL (or related): Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, At The Gates, Bolt Thrower, Callenish Circle, Children of Bodom, The Crown, Dark Tranquillity, Death, Dimension Zero, Edge of Sanity, Entombed, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, The Haunted, Hollenthon, Hypocrisy, In Flames, Kalmah, Love History, Malevolent Creation, Meshuggah, Nile, Runemagick, Shadows Fall, Skyfire, Susperia, Usurper, Witchery

SPEED/THRASH/POWER (TRADITIONAL) METAL (or related): Agent Steel, Angel Dust, Angra, Annihilator, Blind Guardian, Brainstorm, Chinchilla, Concerto Moon, Crimson Glory, Demons & Wizards, Domine, Drakkar, Edguy, Elvenking, Falconer, Freedom Call, Gamma Ray, Grave Digger, Hammerfall, Heavenly, Helloween, Iron Maiden, Jacobs Dream, Kamelot, King Diamond, Kreator, Labyrinth, Manowar, Metal Church, Montany, Nevermore, Nocturnal Rites, Overkill, Rhapsody, Running Wild, Savatage, Sodom, Steel Prophet, Vanden Plas, Virgin Steele, White Skull

I tried to break 'em down into their most logical metal 'genres,' though I hate to categorize like that. Best way to start is to read reviews on places like Amazon. Good luck.

Notice i never said i listened to stuff like Static X or Disturbed. I said heard of, so you wouldn't repeat stuff I knew of but didn't listen to.

Deadly Embrace actually had useful points, I've been meaning to listen to some Exodus. Have you heard anything about Dragonlord, its all the current guys of Testament, so I'm assuming it can't be bad. And I can't believe I forgot Skinlab. I also left out Primus, which doesn't fit into any category. I also like Tool, and I forgot Iron Maiden too.
Hmmm, Markgugs, if you're finished mocking my taste in music, can you narrow that down a little?

DARK ANGEL's "Darkness Descends" and "Leave Scars" are MUST -HAVES for ANY fan of extreme / speed / thrash metal.
If you dont own these, then you need to get them ASAP!
(that goes for EVERYONE) >: )
"Darkness Descends" in my opinion IS speed / thrash metal to a "T" It just doesnt get any better than this record....well maybe Reign in Blood, Bonded By Blood and Eternal Nightmare are as good.
MAKGUGS made a pretty impressive list. I would add a few of my favorite bands to it.
POSSESSED - arguably the first death metal band with the "Seven Churches" album and "Beyond the Gates" is an absolute classic thrash record.
SOLITUDE AETURNUS - classic doom metal in a Sabbath sort of way but much heavier with amazing vocals.
ARCANE - power metal, killer vocals.
FORCED ENTRY - "Uncertain Future" killer thrash with Chuck Billy sounding vocals.
EXODUS - "Bonded By Blood" arguably one of the top 5 thrash speed / records ever
KREATOR - "Pleasure to Kill" "Terrible Certainty" more classic thrash! Their other stuff is good, but these are their best (IMO)
NUCLEAR ASSAULT - "Game Over" "Survive" even more classic thrash!
DEATH - "Leprosy" death metal vocals with straight forward thrashing riffs. "Human" same vocal style but the music is much more intricate, intense and deep.
CORONER - these guys were WAY underrated and one of, if not the best live band to hear. "Punishment For Decadence" "No More Color" and "Mental Vortex" all put these guys WAY ahead of the competition. Its melodic speed and thrash and their guitarist was probably the best there was as far as metal goes.
DESTRUCTION - another of Germanys thrash metal gods. Pick up "Sentence of Death" "Infernal Overkill" and "Eternal Devastation" and you wont be dissapointed. In the past 2 years they reformed and have released 2 more killer thrash records - "All Hell Breaks Loose" and "The Antichrist"
2 summers ago they came back to the states and annhilated us!
(TestAmenT / Destruction US tour?? That would KILL!!!!!)
SODOM - I know MARKGUGS mentioned these guys and cheers to him for doing so. These guys are with a doubt the most amazing aggressive metal band ever, as in the past 19 years they have never ever disbanded or compromised their style in any way in an attempt to reach a larger audience. They arent my favorite, but I have the most respect for what Tom Angelripper has accomplished. Pick up any SODOM album and you are sure to be pleased.
Of courseby being here you know TestAmenT is one of the very best killer metal bands ever. Their first album "The Legacy" still sounds as brutal today as it did when it first came out. Chuck Billy has the best vocals in metal...PERIOD!
There's tons more, but these are most of my alltime favorites.
(Im not sure youre ready for VENOM hehehehe!)

Originally posted by HUNGER OF THE UNDEAD
DEATH - "Leprosy" death metal vocals with straight forward thrashing riffs. "Human" same vocal style but the music is much more intricate, intense and deep.

Woot? No "Scream Bloody Gore"? I think that's their best album, it's same time very simple and complex, and of course, fucking brutal... I like "Leprosy" and newrw albums too, but "SBG"... Hell yeah!
These bands I want to recommend also:
STORMTROOPERS OF DEATH (S.O.D): "Speak English or Die" is one big moshfest...
DISMEMBER: Good ol' death metal from Sweden. Unfortunately too often overshadowed by Entombed, but still very crushing...
VOMITORY: More Swedish old skool death, grindparts make my day always...
THE BERZERKER: Grind/industrial/death/simply extreme...
And also bands like RED HARVEST, GOD MACABRE, AUTOPSY, ELECTRIC WIZARD etc. are great. Be openminded.

And 'cause I'm still selfish bastard: checkout our webzine Metalhel in address:

http://metalhel.cjb.net

There are interviews from The Berzerker and Vomitory among other brutal stuff...

I downloaded the song they had at the website and it fucking kicks ass
The instrument's rule, and Peterson's vocals are great

A few bands I would definitely reccomend:

Vio-Lence
Possessed
Exhumed
Severed Savior
Dragonlord
Dreams of Damnation
Dark Angel
Control Denied
Malevolent Creation
Immolation
Suffocation
Nile
Cryptopsy
Iniquity

That would be good for starters

Originally posted by Dickfaceputo
No B.S., If any of you guys haven't listened to Extol's "UNDECEIVED" album, then get it. It's great. Check them out at undeceived.net
I can't say enough about this band.

except that they are Christian.....call me closeminded, but...