Nile - kinda mainstream dm, but touring with Arch Enemy and Origin
Arch Enemy
Origin
Amon Amarth - Awesome classic
avulsed
Napalm Death - love these guys
Belphegor- good black
--------------------------------------
now the things that you should listen to to know what shit is...
Mortician
SLIPKNOT
Ghoul
Macabre - dont care if they're legends, they suck ass
dimmu borgir - they have some good stuff but the rest is shit... try stormblast

Here are some of what I listen to:
Cradle of Filth: Cruelty and the Beast, From the Cradle..., Midian

Slayer: Reign in Blood, Divine Intervention

Manowar: Louder Than Hell, Kings of Metal, Fighting the World, Triumph of Steel, Warriors of the World United

Hammerfall: Glory to the Brave, Legacy of Kings, Renegade

Testament: All of them

Sepultura: Chaos A.D.

Dio: The Very Beast of Dio

Nail Bomb: Point Blank

Royal Hunt: The Watchers

Helloween: Keeper of the 7 Keys Pt. 1

Summoning: Stronghold

Morbid Angel; Sinister; Dimmu Borgir; Emperor; Power Symphony; In Flames; DragonLord; Annihlilator; Tristania, Borkanager(sp?); Deicide; Cannibal Corpse; Blind Guardian; Iron Maiden

TESTAMENT,judas priest, black sabbath, dio, ozzy, iron maiden, saxon, running wild, helloween, sacred steel, tygers of pan tang, grim reaper, dark star, diamond head, twisted sister, holocaust, armored saint, pretty maids, coroner, flotsam&jetsam, metallica(old times), megadeth(except risk), coroner, konkhra, morbid angel, athesit, sanctuary, scorpions, kiss, venom, kreator, destruction, pestilence, nuclear assoult, napalm death, artillery...

annihilator, dark angel, death angel, running wild, savatage, w.a.s.p., vendetta, at the gates, in flames, six feet under, anthrax, exodus(rust in peace, baloff), death (we miss u so much, chuck..), control denied, sodom, anvil, algol, benediction, metal church, paradise lost(old times), agent steel, sinner, falconer, nevermore, forbidden...

abbatoir, brimstone, overkill, sepultura(old times), rainbow, angra, angel dust, steel prophet, motörhead, rotting christ, xentrix, sadus, fight, helstar, malice, deicide, skid row, slayer, manowar, iron saviour, accept, u.d.o., primal fear, pantera, iced earth...

chastain, kenziner, asia, S.O.D., M.O.D., suicidal tendencies, pro-pain, tankard(cheers!), thin lizzy, lizzy borden, def leppard, king diamond, warlock(dorooo!!), queensryche, voivod, rush, asphyx, brujeria, candlemass, carcass, possessed, morbid angel, celtic frost, cancer, loudness, savage, stratovarius...

OPETH!!!!!!!!!! These guys will blow you away! Mikael Akerfeldt is amazing! He writes the most intricate crazy music you've ever heard!

And people....if you are any kind of Testament fan ya better know who Dragonlord is. It's your duty as a Testament fan to BUY IT!!! I love ya Eric!

Night falls again, taking what's left of me. -Ackerfeldt

I saw Opeth at the Key club and didn't think they were that good. Every song started out the same, ended the same. Just too repetitious for my tastes.
I just wanted to give the big thumbs up to Testacat for some of his picks. I did not think that anyone here would have the nads to state that he was into Loudness and Lizzy Borden. So many bastards come on this site and only post the so called heaviest shit they're into. However, these two band in particular don't get the credit that they deserve. When they first came out in the 80's, they were much heavier than they're counterparts at the time. And Akira Takasaki is one of the greatest guitarist of all time. With regards to Lizzy Borden, Alex Nelson is a great guitarist, and Lizzy is one of the greatest metal vocalist bar none. Their Deal With The Devil cd is incredible. Great fuckin production, vocals, guitar, songs.
So, I just wanted to say thanks Testacat, for your honesty.

:) Opeth is thinking man's metal. There's a lot to it...ya just have to sit back and listen. I don't think the metal mags :worship: bow down to them, praising the day the band was formed because they suck....that's just my opinion, besides..I didn't see anyone else's bands getting cut on...is it because I'm new?? HMMMM...........

Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater park~Opeth

Originally posted by testacat
TESTAMENT,judas priest, black sabbath, dio, ozzy, iron maiden, saxon, running wild, helloween, sacred steel, tygers of pan tang, grim reaper, dark star, diamond head, twisted sister, holocaust, armored saint, pretty maids, coroner, flotsam&jetsam, metallica(old times), megadeth(except risk), coroner, konkhra, morbid angel, athesit, sanctuary, scorpions, kiss, venom, kreator, destruction, pestilence, nuclear assoult, napalm death, artillery...

hehhe
to forget to black sabbath?? it's impossible
look at top of the list;)

opeth...
I don't know
but I don't wanna call as metal
it's hard to explain, just my feelings

for example Nightwish, music may be good but I couldn't see metal inside..
metal doesn't mean to me only guitar, drum, distortion bla bla bla..
look at 80's, especially early years
I call them metal
and I already said, just my opinion...

and
you said "opeth is thinkin man's metal"

I think thrash is thinkin man's metal
look at testament's P.C. lyrics
or "peace sells but who's buying?"

and of course I love classical music
bach, mozart, carl orff...

hmmmm
I like lacy underwears but I don't wanna see them on my daddy!!
could I tell?

Yeah, its hard to forget about the forefathers of heavy metal - BLACK SABBATH!!!! My favorite 4 SABBATH albums are HEAVEN AND HELL, MOB RULES, BORN AGAIN and DEHUMANIZER!
Yes, I do like most of the OZZY era SABBATH, but I MUCH prefer DIO's voice and those songs as well as the Ian Gillan record.
My god, the Dehumanizer reunion tour 10 years ago kicked some major fucking ass!

I guess the correct label...(if you like putting labels on music) for Opeth is, doom metal. The question that was posted asked, "what are some good bands" not what are some good metal bands. I personally think Opeth is a metal band, I also think Katatonia is a metal band (that'll probably open up a whole new can of worms). Metal is not restricted to the 80's thrash scene. There are plenty of great metal bands right now, you just have to look a little harder for the talented ones then you did in the '80's . Trust me..up until a few months ago I was one of those people that was completely stuck in the '80's thrash scene. As far as I was concerned there was no good metal coming out in the present...THEN...I was turned on to NEVERMORE (this didn't take too much convincing since I'm an avid Sanctuary fan). I then saw them with In Flames...then I bought Blackwater park by Opeth, started listening to Iced Earth, Death, Spiral Architect, Hypocracy, Dimmu Borgier, Cradle of Filth, Soilwork, The list goes on....:headbang:

I've still got all my old faves too..

Fear Factory, Anthrax~w/Joey, Megadeth (old, the new stuff blows), TESTAMENT, Slayer, Sepultura~w/Max, Obituary, Kreator, Queensryche, Sanctuary, Overkill, Suicidal Tendencies, Judas Priest, D.R.I, Flotsam and Jetsam, Exodus, Death Angel, Metal Church, Metallica (pre black album).......lots more.