what are your opinions about the latest dream theater disc?

slaesh

Aug 5, 2003
sweden
so what are your opinions about the latest dream theater disc?
personally i think it's the best one since awake!!

Out of the cd's without Moore,it's the second best for me so far...after Scenes From A Memory.
It could really be the best easily,but a) sometimes LaBrie sounds really bad when he does those high-pitched vocals,plus it's sometimes hard to tell what he's singing without looking at the lyrics,too high again b) Petrucci (and Rudess/Muyng) really fucks up a few songs on this album with his solos. What the hell is the deal with the solo on In The Name Of God? I've had lots of discussions with people about this,and it seems that from a musician's standpoint it's complex as hell and they aren't that bothered if it doesn't fit the song. Of course me who can't play a note on guitar would kinda like more song structures and less soloing.
The awesome side on this album is that most of the heavy riffs sound very very good. In The Name Of God and As I Am really get me headbanging. Plus the lyrics for most of the songs are really good,great subjects.
Of course there's the typical LaBrie song that doesn't fit the rest of the album at all and is completely useless. At least Disappear was a good song.
I welcome the movie samples on Honor The Father too,but I wish they'd used more,on In The Name Of God for example.
I'll give it an 8,a point lost by Petrucci and his solos,and another by LaBrie's vocals and Vacant.

They've definitely done a good album since it keeps drawing me back to it,but I'm afraid the same thing will happen as with Six Degrees. I'll listen to it a lot and then realize that it's really bad,but then again there's a lesser chance for that cause I already knew not to expect much after Six Degrees.

no this is so muche heavier!
agree on the LaBrie vocals! what happened to the man! i miss the spark from Awake..

i really love petrucci's soloing on this album but i honestly dont like rudess stupid playing!
alot better than 6 degrees

slaesh said:
no this is so muche heavier!

What's your point and what are you trying to say?

slaesh said:
i really love petrucci's soloing on this album but i honestly dont like rudess stupid playing!
alot better than 6 degrees

Agreed,Six Degrees got annoying too fast...I like Rudess' playing mostly though,the piano parts in This Dying Soul and In The Name Of God rule,it's just that the synth stuff doesn't work so well.

TheFourthHorseman said:
Out of the cd's without Moore,it's the second best for me so far...after Scenes From A Memory.

That was pretty much my opinion. It doesn't suck like Six Degrees, but there's still nothing much on it that *really* stands out and makes me say "neat!" and play it over and over. It might grow on me, though, assuming I ever take Return of the King out of my player.

As I Am: 6/10 - one of the more nondescript songs I've heard from them

This Dying Soul: 7/10 - this has potential to be a good heavy songs, but the ideas seem thrown around carelessly and the Metallica ripoff doesn't help

Endless Sacrifice: 8/10 - much better than the first two, but that obnoxious riff in the chorus nearly ruins it

Honor Thy Father: 4/10 - terrible attempt at keeping up with the heavier mainstream crowd

Vacant: 7/10 - nice, but it doesn't do much

Stream Of Consciousness: 9/10 - excellent instrumental with Petrucci's best melodic playing on the album

In The Name Of God: 9/10 - tons of great instrumental work here, and James' best performance on the album

TOT is a cool album. Im a pretty big DT fan so i was excited. I think TOT is great to jam to and has some unique twists. However, i definitely dont think its one of their best. Its just a cool album to rock out to and hear the different styles they can mold together. As for 6 Degrees, i seem to be the only one who really likes that album. Oh well, other's opinions mean nothing to me.

I used to think Six Degrees was the best thing ever,but then I didn't listen to it for a long while and once I did after that it really came out bad...

Train Of Thought really makes me play it over and over again everyday though. :)

Oh and I was wrong by the way,Train Of Thought is the third best after Moore-era,since the song A Change Of Seasons is brilliant enough to kick the hell out of ToT. Plus the Elton John & Deep Purple covers are pretty cool.

It was only played live once or twice, to my knowledge; it's on the Subconscious bootleg, among others. The overall theme of the song is the same, but it was tweaked quite a bit for the EP - which, incidentally, was recorded and released after a mass petition to their record label.

I like the EP, but I'm partial to the original - there are so many little inside jokes tied to it from my years on the ytsejam list.

TheEdgeOfThorns said:
TOT is a cool album. Im a pretty big DT fan so i was excited. I think TOT is great to jam to and has some unique twists. However, i definitely dont think its one of their best. Its just a cool album to rock out to and hear the different styles they can mold together. As for 6 Degrees, i seem to be the only one who really likes that album. Oh well, other's opinions mean nothing to me.

I like 6 Degrees as well. I love the track "The Great Debate".

Anyways, I also really love the new album by Dream Theater too. My only complaint is, maybe they should lay off the over 3 minute long soloings! lol

TheEdgeOfThorns said:

Whatever. You're not the only one. I LOVE 6DOIT as well. I really, really love it!! ToT -- I really like too :) Dream Theater just rocks ... I can see how people can get bored with the long solos, but for me, I don't mind one bit.

A Change of Seasons with Kevin is my personal favorite song of all-time by Dream Theater. The "Please Don't Go" version, circa 1991. The lyrics and vocal lines James does I have never heard him do anything like that. He was singing more in falsetto than he ever did other than with Winter Rose I guess (I have not heard Winter Rose). I also really liked the placement of the sound samples from The Twilight Zone and a few other bits that were not ever used.

Kyle

I went to the DT-show two weeks ago.. Did an interview with Mister Petrucci first which was pretty cool.
But the show itself.. I'm sorry, but listening to DT for 3 hours is not for me.. By the second part i already slept for 20 minutes. And during the encore i went into a coma.. Yeah yeah, the guys can play.. But damnit.. It was boring as hell..

Train Of Thought has grown worse to my ears, just like I suspected. I grew to like This Dying Soul more though, but the solo(s) ruin the song. They could try doing a chorus just twice or thrice in a song too, not five or six times.