What can I do about a short ceiling?

visceral

Sep 22, 2009
I dont have the luxury of owning a studio. Im doing it all in my basement. The room Im tracking in is about 156 sq feet (12' x 13'), but the damn ceiling is only 7 feet! It is finished with sheetrock, but Im not opposed to removing that and starting over. I have found a ton of info on room treatment, but I've yet to find a solution to dealing with a short ceiling. Any ideas? Im sure at least one of you has had to address this problem. I dont want to spend a ton of $$$. Maybe $200-$300 if possible.

Great! Thanks for the link!

I dont mind if the ceiling is slightly shorter as long as it helps. This room is used strictly for music. I plan on treating at least a couple of the walls as well since the frame is aleady exposed. The ceiling had me stumped....but the gearslutz thread might have the answer. Time to read!

Ethan Winer video including a short ceiling

Here they filled the unfinished ceiling with fiberglass and used cloth to cover it.

Gearslutz thread about short ceilings

yup it works - thats exactly what i done to temple bar recording studios in dublin - there were 6 rehearsal rooms, 3 studio's, 2 large empty rooms and the studio across the road which was 3 stories tall.

it works a treat as a cheap way of sound isolation - the only thing i dont like about it is ... well 2 things - its itchy work (all the fiberglass) and its very easily burnt (well our stuff was) so just in case bring a fire extinguisher down to the studio and keep it there

with all that flammable material on the roof you'd never get out of there if god forbid there was a fire