What can YOU tell me about Katatonia?? (Read!)

Pierced Spirit

New Metal Member
Sep 1, 2001
San Antonio, Tx
Visit site
Ive heard of them bieng compared to Opeth (probably my favorite group) and I would love to hear some of Katatonias songs and really get into this group.

But what can you guys tell me about them? Do they sing like Opeth, a mix of clean and death vocals? Or basically, how are they like Opeth?

And can anyone here name a CD and or songs I should look for to help me get into this group?

Also does anyone know of a good sight with maybe full songs of theirs to download or an official site or something.

Thanks to all who help out.

Welcome :)
Here you'll find some full length mp3s!
www.mp3.com/katatoniadotcom

Sorry, I'm feeling lazy right now, so I'll add an excerpt from forlorn soul's post at Opeth's forum in an earlier Katatonia thread. :loco:

"[...] It is a shame that they always are compared to Opeth, considering that (a) Katatonia's been around for much longer and (b) they don't sound similar (except some melodies on Orchid sound like Dance of December Souls).

Secondly, anyone looking for progressive and technical music should _BY ALL MEANS_ steer clear of Katatonia. This is not the goal or result of the music. It's minimalistic, intensely personal music. If you are one of those listeners with a short 'attention span', then you will HATE Katatonia. However if you are one to sit back and give it your full attention, let it sink in, they could easily become a band you worship.

[...]
The newer albums are perfectly played and have incredible production - and also have differnet styles than the earlier albums. The latest album "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" is easily compared in parts to TOOL and A Perfect Circle, yet some songs are similar to "Disintigration"-era The Cure.

In conclusion I'll just say this: PLEASE, for fucks sake, do NOT buy Katatonia if you are searching out similar to Opeth. Do NOT buy Katatonia if you want a progressive or musical technical band. You WILL be disappointed. Buy Katatonia if you want a 'downer' album (sad doesn't cover it all) that will grow on you and infest you like cancer. I strongly recommend "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" and "Discouraged Ones" to start off. I agree "Brave Murder Day" is an incredible album (my favorite of all time) but it's in its own little world.. so special, so unique, and so precious to me. But then again, so are those newer two albums I mentioned - just in a different kind of way. Good luck."

Originally posted by Demonspell
If you're looking for an Opeth clone, there aren't any. But Brave Murder Day may be the next best thing, and should satisfy your desires...

yeah its got Mikael on vocals, and the later katatonia stuff has clean vocals like the clean vocal parts in Opeth, but that doesn't give Katatonia justice. both are great in their own way. and i dont know which i like more :confused: , i thought it was Katatonia but they're both excellent.

Don't get your hopes up for another Opeth. I love both, prefer Katatonia, but the music's very different: especially the last three albums.

mmm im feeling im loosing something, whats Opeth all about? i know they play black, but how? does it has something to do with classic black? the "im evil ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah cof cof cof ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah"

Originally posted by LoboUivante
mmm im feeling im loosing something, whats Opeth all about? i know they play black, but how? does it has something to do with classic black? the "im evil ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah cof cof cof ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ahah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah"

Are you alright man? You seem a little neurotic.

to Requiem: i was not being neurotic! its just that my stomach hurted :)

Originally posted by _Transparent_

:lol: but in answer to your original question Lobo... i say you should listen to Harvest, Credance and d/l the drapery falls video of bootleg mania.

:confused: mmm i asked if Opeth were worthy to give a listen, i went to the Opeth forum and for whats going on there they are the blackish perfection... i was just wondering if they play "Im Evvvvviiiiilllll (evil laughs)" all worn out thread.