What cellphone do you use, and what carrier

J-Man

Old as Yoda
Jan 11, 2005
Texas
Thought this would be interesting.

I am using a Nokia/Microsoft Lumia 640XL, and to be honest this is the best phone I have ever owned, it is easy to use, nice looking, big screen, and well just a great phone and I actually love the Windows operating system, it is so stable.

My carrier is T-Mobile, we had been with Sprint for 15 years and had a good plan(2 Years at a time) then we started experiencing problems with dropped calls, text message arriving an hour or two after being sent, no service(especially for my wife at work, all other carriers had service) getting charged international roaming when we were to close to the border, and then the straw that broke the camels back, they wanted us to change lans, because as they said they could not support our plan anymore. Say What? So, when Nightwish played El Paso I had to take one of management to the T-Mobile store to activate his new Blackberry and I got talked into considering T-Mobile, well to make a long story short we changed. No contract our plan is $50 a month(3 phones with a discount) plus phone lease $28 for 3 phones( I bought my Nokia outright) $24 for insurance on all 3 phones, and $30 for unlimited data. Plus we have wifi calling so it can be used worldwide with no roaming charges, 611 customer service number, in 6 months you can change phones if you want. But the real kicker was we got $325 credit for turning in our old phones, plus they covered our $675 early termination fee. I know they are not perfect, but to be honest todate I have had no problem with customer service on line, on the phone or at any of their stores. Plus coverage is way better than before.

We switched to T Mobile from Verizon about a year ago, the fact that Verizon would only let us keep our unlimited plan if we gave up subsidized phones was what sent us away. If you are going to make me pay for a phone to keep my plan, I'll just go somewhere else and let them have my money. We've been happy with T Mobile, the coverage isn't quite as good, but I am okay with it. My wife has a Galaxy 5 and I have a T Mobile specific Galaxy Light.

I have Verizon and use the Samsung Galaxy S5. It's a solid phone and have recommended it to several people.

I've been a Verizon customer since 2002 when they came out with the first nationwide cell plan of any carrier. Only had one billing problem with them which they corrected in relatively short order.

Of course, thanks to T-Mobile's "unplan", Verizon followed suit just recently and dropped their plans. :)

I'm also a T-Mobile guy and have generally been happy with it even with the spotty coverage at times. I use an LG F6, which isn't the greatest phone in the world (lacks internal memory), but is 4G and was cheap. Given that I can't use a phone at work, it fits my purpose very well.

I live in a very rural area. My choice is AT&T towers or Verizon towers. Those are the only two I get at home. I am with AT&T prepaid at the moment and have a Galaxy S4. I am happy with the phone and the carrier. I will be changing shifts at work soon and am going to have to purchase another phone. Will probably be another Galaxy that is set up for Verizon towers and give Net 10 a try.

Galaxy S4 with Verizon. We probably pay way too much, but we have the 'family plan' with 4 phones, data, etc. We seem to live in a cellular 'hole' where our cell service is horrible, but great everywhere else.

inherited iPhone 4S on Virgin Mobile.

I was actually on my family's line with a dumbphone for about seven years because I hate to talk on the phone, and I refused to get stuck paying $50-60+ for a smartphone with a data plan.

Virgin Mobile, on the other hand, turned out to be a good deal. My uncle had already tested them out to see what the coverage was like vs AT&T (not as good, especially in remote areas around mountains, but fine for local use), and when I did some research, I found they had a plan with 3 hours of talk, unlimited text, and unlimited data (2.5gb of 3g) for $35. Set up autopay through Paypal, and that knocked it down to $30. Just recently, they upped the plan to unlimited talk, although that's useless to me - I've used less than six hours in eight months.

The two catches: because there's no contract, you don't get the phone for free or low cost, and VM is CDMA like Verizon and US Cellular.

AT&T on a Samsung Galaxy S4. I'm happy with the service as we were on Sprint before this. I like Sprint, but in my job, I was without signal if far too many places - including my own house. Never had that problem on AT&T.

The phone is good. However, recently, I have started to plug the phone into a receiver in my garage to listen to music. Apparently, Samsung cheaped out on the amplifier for headphones and bluetooth. So the volume is really, really low. I have to turn my amp up 100% to just get it at a listenable level (never mind trying to out annoying my neighbors when the start playing music loud in their garage - I used to always win BTW). I hear the S6 is better, but they dropped a bunch of stuff from the S4 (like NFC support), so I don't know what my next phone will be.

Nexus 5 on Sprint. Coverage is so-so, but quality is pretty great. I actually get horrible coverage in my house because the coverage map lied a little, but I don't care that much. It's less incentive for people to call my cell. I've had the Nexus 5 since release, so coming up on 2 years and I feel no impulse to replace it at all, which is awesome...particularly because I paid full freight for an unlocked one straight from Google.

We switched to T Mobile from Verizon about a year ago, the fact that Verizon would only let us keep our unlimited plan if we gave up subsidized phones was what sent us away.

That's funny...I left T-Mobile and went to Verizon this year for the exact same reason! I had been with T-Mobile for years, but when I needed a new phone, it was going to cost full price. I talked to their "loyalty" department, and all they had to offer was splitting the payments over 24 months. I told them I didn't want to leave, but would have to over the price of the phone. They said, "sorry to see you go." What really fried me was that at the exact same time, they were buying out contracts to get people to leave other carriers!

I have Verizon and use the Samsung Galaxy S5. It's a solid phone and have recommended it to several people.

Good recommendation on the phone! I've had some frustrations with Verizon - particularly that they lost about half my contacts when transferring data over from the old phone and the fact that I was burning up my data really quickly. So far, their customer service people have been helpful. The data issue is better now after making sure I close all apps every night and changing that stupid setting on Facebook that automatically plays all videos.

Well, I have had my Microsoft/Nokia phone for almost 2 weeks, and I have to say that it has not disappointed, battery life is unbelievable, I put it in the charger yesterday for the first time, battery power had gone down to 83% so what they say is true:
Battery Life
•Up to 26.5 hours talk time
•Up to 36 days standby time

Plus it takes some of the most amazing pictures and videos, awesome phone. Also right now with T-Mobile you can get the Microsoft/Nokia for Lumia 640 for $129 full price or get it from Microsoft (T-Mobile version) Lumia 640 for $79 or the 640XL for $249 only difference is screen size and camera pixels.