What do I want?

jons

New Metal Member
Jun 8, 2002
gothenburg
Visit site
Hi there, I'm mostly into black/goth/doom but I love all music that's good, and I want some tips on what older records to get, so can you please tell me a few favourites that I might check up. I spent my early years listening to my sisters records (guns n' roses, wasp, def leppard). Later I was cought up in the big Dance wave (popular in sweden anyway) and got back into havier music with Metallica's Load. Nowadays I mostly buy music from bands in the black and goth genre but I really would like to update on the older 80's (maybe 70's aswell) hard rock and heavy metal.

I've got some wasp, guns n' roses, metallica, doro/warlock and slayer, but I want more great albums like maybe dio, priest helloween or whatever you think I might like. What bands and what records should I get to make my collection more complete?

thanks in advance

Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time

here's some more i forgot:
cynic - focus
kreator - coma of souls
Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Death - Symbolic

yes I read that thread, but I just don't want trash/death, and I would like to get "musthave" records to get, all types of metal, not just good groups but their best albums. I know everyone's got their fovourite records but there's just so much out there...

Hmm... some stuff to start out with...

Isis - Oceanic
Mastodon - Remission
Converge - Jane Doe
Today is the Day - Sadness Will Prevail
.hopesfall. - The Satellite Years
Opeth - Morningrise
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
Symphony X - The Odyssey
Evergrey - Recreation Day
The Devin Townsend Band - Accelerated Evolution

There are of course more, but I've got a bit of a headache. :)

Mercyful Fate- Don't break the oath
Judas Priest- painkiller
Forbidden- forbidden evil
possessed- seven churches
exodus- bonded by blood
destruction- eternal devestation
sodom- persecution mania
Kreator- endless pain
Venom- Black metal

Celtic Frost- maybe a little venom- old deth is great, dark angel, old slayer- you may like Queensryche- mindcrime and rage for order are classics

Savatage - Sirens
Priest - Stained Glass; Hell Bent For Leather & Sad Wings of Destiny
At The Gates - Slaughter of Souls
The Haunted - The Haunted Made me Do It
Helloween (try their new one) - Rabbits Don't Come Easy
Death Angel - The Ultra Violence
Overkill - Horrorscope
Coroner - Mental Vortex
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Accept - Restless and Wild
Soilwork - A Preditor's Portrait
Sodom - Agent Orange

Hope this helps :)

Masterplan - Masterplan
Dream Evil - Evilized
Symphorce - Phorceful Ahead
Savatage - Ghost In The Ruins
Sonata Arctica - Winterhearts Guild
Zandelle - Twilight On Humanity
Gamma Ray - Blast From The Past
Kamelot - Epica

For old Iron Maiden, the best bet is the live album 'Live After Death' (1985). It slays, and has a good selection from all their (at the time 5) albums, so it's a good guide as to what to check out next (assuming you like it ;)). I could name 3 of the first 5 as classics, so the live album is the best bet :D
Early Def Leppard is also really good, Pyromania(1984 I think) is probably the best, it's where they started to really develop their polished commercial sound, but it still has some balls to it and doesn't over-do the cheese. I also really like their first album, On Through The Night (1981??), has several underrated classics like 'Overture' and 'Answer To The Master'(groovy song ;)).

most(but not all) of this stuff is before your time but I don't think it'll dissapoint ya

Flotsam and Jetsam - Cuatro
Motorhead - Iron Fist, Another Perfect Day, No Remorse(this one would be a good collector starting point if you could find the LP with the leather cover)
Girlschool - Hit and Run
Corrosion of Conformity - Deliverance
Down - NOLA
Extreme - Waiting For the Punchline
Saxon - Denim and Leather
Doctor Butcher

70's
Frank Zappa - Weasels Rip My Flesh, Apostrophe' (if ya want something a little different)
Mountain - Flowers of Evil, Climbing
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Little Feet - Waiting for Columbus (this isn't metal but I think it's one of the best live albums ever produced)