What do you all recommend for a lead guitar boost?

Shredder69

New Metal Member
Mar 3, 2003
I'm having a little trouble with my leads being heard above everyone else at my band's shows, just wondering what anyone recommends as a lead guitar volume pedal/lead boost? i've been told the Tube Screamer is probably the best bet, just wondering what anyone else thought. I play a Peavey V-Type Limited Edition with an EMG 81/85 combo through a 5150.

Shredder69 said:
I'm having a little trouble with my leads being heard above everyone else at my band's shows, just wondering what anyone recommends as a lead guitar volume pedal/lead boost? i've been told the Tube Screamer is probably the best bet, just wondering what anyone else thought. I play a Peavey V-Type Limited Edition with an EMG 81/85 combo through a 5150.

You have a GREAT setup !! The V-type is almost identical to the quality of the very limited edition Vandenbergs. I wouldn't color my sound too much if I were you due to the pickup/amp combo you have, but still you need an effects pedal. You will need things like a chorus (if you ever play clean) and things like that. Find an effects pedal you like and you can get the boost out of it that you need.

Bryant

I see a lot of people use overdrive pedals (mostly the Boss OD-pedals) for boosting leads.
if you want to add effects like chorus or stuff like that, you'll need more than a simple overdrive of course

i have a boss me-50 that i run to my clean channel...for a lead boost, i switch amp channels over to my drive channel....which is cranked into tube saturation, so i get a nice, deep, and dynamic lead channel...

i used to just use a tubescreamer though....the ts-9...which i now hate. i'm looking at getting an 808 chip.

Well, I have to bands and to different solutions:
With my brutal death metal band I go direct into the input of my ENGL Fireball without any effects, and when I need the solo boost I just switch to the second master volume of the Fireball (without switching channels). That's actually a very neat feature of the Fireball and one of the main reasons I got this amp (apart from that it sounds great, of course :) ).

With my melodic death metal band I use a Boss GT-5 to get the effects I need. I go guitar into GT-5 and direct to the effect return of the Fireball to only use its power amp. For the solo boost I just switch to a different patch on the GT-5 which is louder and has different equalizing.

Fifth_Horseman said:
With my melodic death metal band I use a Boss GT-5 to get the effects I need. I go guitar into GT-5 and direct to the effect return of the Fireball to only use its power amp. For the solo boost I just switch to a different patch on the GT-5 which is louder and has different equalizing.

Yea thats pretty much what i was saying, although the GT-8 is the newest one with a lot more features

thanks everyone for all the input so far, my friend let me use a boss OD-1, but it really didn't do anything, just made it more distorted and thin, but i will look into the multi-effect pedal types. does anyone know of a volume pedal that actually increases volume? i bought an ernie ball volume pedal a while back and when i used it, i pushed the pedal into the highest position and all it did was raise my volume to what my amp was set to originally instead of actually increasing the volume for a boost, i hope that made some sort of sense.