What do you have in your CD case right now?

tedvanfrehley said:
Cd's can be replaced...it may take a few bucks, but over time...if you really want them...you can get 'em back or get a burn from a buddy...they just don't hold that sacred "ooh and ah" for me anymore.

I understand your point TVF, but for me the matter is different.

1. I'm a very anal collector. I will never have CD-R or MP3 as part of my collection. I believe only in original CDs
  2. Some of my CDs are IRREPLACEABLE, rare oop that I managed to get via e-Bay or so (eg. "Blaze Of Obscurity", "The Back To Black Collection", "Beyond The Crimson Horizon")
So basically getting them out of the house is like comitting suicide. I'm on the other hand ready to burn them or tape them any time for my use or a friend.

Wyvern said:
Rule #1: NEVER EVER carry CDs out of the house.

I tape all my CDs al carry them in the car, walkman, etc. Usually I need only one tape to conmute to the job, so it'll around 1.5-2 CDs :D

Agreed. I dupe all my originals before they get to the car. Anyway, i have a 10-disc visor sleeve out there:

Nevermore: Godless Endeavor
Judas Priest: Angel of Retribution
Grave: Soulless
Audioslave: Out of Exile <-- gotta have one mellow disc
Slipknot: compilation of all 3 records
Headbangers Ball (Vol.2) (2 discs)
Overkill: The Years of Decay
Hypocrisy: The Arrival (advance)
Death: The Sound Of Perseverance

what?!? - no SLAYER??!!?! I'm just as surprised as you are......

Greeno said:
:lo:
Maybe that's where it comes from, having grown up with vinyl.

Indeed it is. When I used to have vinyls it was like:
  1. open
  2. clean it
  3. record it on tape
  4. store it
And I basically doing the same with CDs :lol:, except that I do play the CDs on my computer or stereo.

I never use CD cases. Don't trust them. A few CDs have been fucked up because of them, so i usually take 6-10 CDs with me in my bag or something. Here's what's in my bag right now:

Symphony X-The Odyssey
Quiet Riot-Metal Health
Black Sabbath-Tyr
Overkill-Necroshine
Rainbow-Long Live Rock n' Roll
Dead Kennedys-Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Sepultura-Schizophrenia
Helstar-Nosferatu

I've got a six disc shuttle in the car and I normally change them once every two weeks cause I drive alot, they are mostly copies of originals, this week's are as follows:

Sepultura - Arise
Demons and Wizards - Touched by the Crimson King - This one is on it's fith week! Just can't get enough! :headbang:
Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Jimi Hendrix - Experience
Hexx - No Escape
Jon Oliva's Pain - Tage Mahal

In the car (6 CD ):
Iron Maiden-Brave New World
Danzig-Lucifuge
Dreamscape...can't remember the title
Dream Theater-Train of thought
Shadows Fall-last one... (getting alzeimers)
Steel Propert-Book of the dead

In the CD case :D for work purposes:

Iron Maiden-S/T
Iron Maiden-Killers
Nevermore-This Godless Endeavor
Tygers of pang tang-Spellbound
Raven-All for one
Bruce-Tyranny of souls
Alice Cooper-Billion Dollar Babies
Hammerfall-Chapter V
Yngwie-Marching Out
Symphorce-Phorcefull Ahead
Iron Maiden-TNOTB
Eric Clapton-Pilgrim
Dio-The very best of
Dokken-Tooth and Nail
Angel Dust-Of Human Bondage
Nightingale-Invisible
Cans-Beyond the fates
Iron Maiden-Powerslave
Charon-Tearstained
Nevermore-Single
God Dethroned-The lair of the white worm
Dream Theater-Images and words
Foreigner-Mr. Moonlight
Kansas-The best of
Dream Theater-Octavarium
Riot-Fire down under
Iron Maiden-Fear of the dark

:wave:

Wyvern said:
When I used to have vinyls it was like:
  1. open
  2. clean it
  3. record it on tape
  4. store it
And I basically doing the same with CDs :lol:, except that I do play the CDs on my computer or stereo.
Fully seconded! I also agree that some CDs are very hard to replace, e.g. I guess it would be very difficult to find another copy of Fear Of God´s "Within The Veil" or Hexenhaus´ "A Tribute To Insanity" (though I still have got the latter also on vinyl).

Burkhard said:
Hexenhaus´ "A Tribute To Insanity" (though I still have got the latter also on vinyl).

Damn I was looking for that one :erk:

Wyvern said:
Indeed it is. When I used to have vinyls it was like:
  1. open
  2. clean it
  3. record it on tape
  4. store it

Yup. Exactly the same with me. Now it's open, rip to MP3, while downloading to MP3 player store it. The MP3 player has taken the place of tapes.

Great replies guys and gals! I see alot of the same bands and titles with a some odd stuff thrown in. Pretty much what I expected, but still interesting to see what y'all are listening to.

As for taking care of CD's...I used to be a fanatic about them. Now, I pretty much abuse them :erk: . I think having them all backed up has something to do with it. I am definitely looking for a portable MP3 player myself. The ipod is nice, but they are about $100 more than anything else. I am still researching it.

I just got an Ipod yesterday from my wife for my birthday!!! :hotjump: Looks like I will be messing around with that for next few days. :D

SavaRon said:
I just got an Ipod yesterday from my wife for my birthday!!! :hotjump: Looks like I will be messing around with that for next few days. :D

:headbang: Cool! I'm pretty sure you're going to like it. A lot.

If you're going to be listening to a lot of metal the iRiver H10 is a great choice. The sound quality a little better than an iPod's.

Wheezer said:
Yup. Exactly the same with me. Now it's open, rip to MP3, while downloading to MP3 player store it. The MP3 player has taken the place of tapes.

Don't like MP3s they are soulless, for me is either vinyl, CD or tape.

Wyvern said:

I'm not crazy about them either. I can usually tell the difference between a mp3 or CD. But tapes? I can't stand those fuckers with the hiss and fast forwarding and rewinding. :yuk: I use the mp3's at work and now probably the car. There is so much background noise in either case I can't really tell the difference. Very, very easy to manage alot of songs. By the way, I already filled up mine! :D I think this is definately the wave of the future. No moving parts, so no skipping which is nice also.

I have my stereo system at home if I really want to "listen" to something.

Wyvern said:

I guess I don't know what you mean by "soulless". Since you included CD I assume it's not an analog/digital thing. Yeah, MP3 is not a lossless conversion but considering the equipment I play them on it doesn't matter a whole lot. That and the fact that my ears are shot from years of abuse. :)

SavaRon said:
I think this is definately the wave of the future. No moving parts, so no skipping which is nice also.

Unless your player is one gig or less then it does have moving parts. The one gig and less use flash memory while the bigger ones use a hard drive. They're making some pretty decent advances in flash memory that will hopefully allow them to bump the capacity of the flash type players.

Wyvern said:

Motherfucker! I just typed out a great long reply to this and the fucker didnt post it Grrrrrrrrr.! that pisses me off .... anyways I essentually agree with you dude and know exzactly what you mean but at the same time I can see the advantages of owning an ipod or anything similar, but I am not going to type it all out again!

Wheezer said:
Unless your player is one gig or less then it does have moving parts. The one gig and less use flash memory while the bigger ones use a hard drive. They're making some pretty decent advances in flash memory that will hopefully allow them to bump the capacity of the flash type players.

I know it is basically a hard drive and there are moving parts inside. I believe the song that is playing is not playing off of the disc itself therefore it doesn't skip. Does that even make sense?????????? :loco: The song is loaded or booted up and then plays from some type of memory inside the device. I'm not to much of a tech guy. I don't even know what the hell I'm talking about....nevermind!?!?! :Spin:

I do like my Ipod though. Should be great for my vacation later this month.