What do you think is Mikale Stanne's greatest vocal performance?

HarmonyDies....

Semi-True
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
Since noone has been making much threads about Dark Tranquillity's music, I made this thread. Well anyways, I would have to say Lethe, especially when he screams "Kill Me Again and Again", sends chills down my spine every time. I also like the chorus in Hours Passed in exile.:)

i'd say the very beginning to "the sun fired blanks". the upon our evening / when the sun fired blanks part is one of the most astonishing vocal performances i've ever heard. also the screaming halfway through nether novas sends shivers down my spine.

rahvin.

Ooh... good thread.

Gotta agree on Lethe, his voice is downright phenomenal there. I love Hedon from a vocal point of view as well... Punish my Heaven is just brilliant. Silence and the firmanent withdrew, particularly in the last bit of the song, and the Emptiness from which I felt... "the confines representing a timeless sacrifice - no eye can of silence tell lie"

Also agree with Sun fired blanks, and Nether Novas shows some of his best clean, shriekier and growled vocals... Day to End for best clean, and...

I'll stop there. Suffice to say I love Stanne's voice, love the way he uses it, and would give a lot to be in possession of one comparable.

In Punish my Heaven, when he screams Punish my Heaven, that is fucking cool, there is alot of emotion behind his voice.

Also in Doberman, when he starts with "like a ghost in day light" that also is very cool.

Nick(I love this fucking band)

Lethe without a question in my mind, hes sings with soooo much passion and emotion in that song its amazing. The exact part that Harmony mentions is really amazing.

Clean vocals id say Auctioned, the whole song screams "I am emotional, I rule" or something along those lines :D

F_V (back for possibly more than 1 post? :D )

definitely the clean vox from "On Your Time". That song fleshes out an even similar to somthing I went through in my life (involving love, go figure :rolleyes: ). I only wish I could write lyrics half as good as Stanne, he's definitely my favorite singer, if only for the emotional spike he puts into every song.

I love the "My soul bears all the weight, of mountains" part in Punish My Heaven and the "We look at you afraid, to see what we really are" in Hedon, pretty emotional stuff

@huevo: i second that. that song really strikes a chord, he painted a familiar scenery and managed to fit it into a very emotional song. love when the music rises to meet the vox on i could never tell if your touch was deeper than skin.

rahvin.

His voice is just so stunningly amazing on "Monochromatic Stains". But get shivers down the spine every time I hear the growl on "Emptier Still". I also like his voice on "Haven" and "ThereIn". The part where he sings "As there were no witnesses, there was nothing to be told" or something in that way.

Apart from much of the stuff mentioned, I´d like to add: Away, delight, away !

The whole song totaly rules but esp. the "Fill me with sound, fill me with hatred, let my life bring life to the soil -The soil beneath my feet! Messanger of pain, sailing silence, commander of my sorrow, riding rage, infinity is eternal, never born, so it may never die!" and from the "my broken body is dripping with sin" part until the "they build me once more again" with the highligt at "for they are my blood, they are my saviours!"

Argh, good song indeed!

-phyros

Some rambling on the topic...

Projector has some great growling, although Haven might be technically better. I think his voice is deeper and more gritty than on Haven, but that could have more to do with how it's mixed at the fore, or because Projector sounds less "deep" than Haven, due to the absence of electronica, which brings out Mikael's voice better.

Lethe, Punish my Heaven and Alone '94 feature his "weeping growls" that have an effect similar to his voice breaking down into weeping, something absolutely unique, and very powerful since they are used so sparingly.

Mikael also puts on a great display on Skydancer, with his clean voice sounding quite a bit less contrived and pretentious, which unfortunately plagues some moments of Projector (Dobermann).

Away Delight Away is indeed a great show of his voice, featuring both his deeper bass growling (now the only mode) and the shrieking, Gothenburg style voice. In the part where Phyros mentions, he changes from whispered growls to shrieking and then into deep growling when the guitar melody kicks in, a classic moment without doubt.

I think The Gallery features his least excellent display of vocals. The multisampling of his voice (so it sounds there are two growlers, overlapping very often) is a bit too obvious and overdone, his later efforts have shown that Mikael's voice is strong enough by itself.

As for Damaged Done, I'm fearing that the album will start to sound monotonous because of the lack of variety in the vocal departement. Although TMI had excellent growling moments, I find myself tired when listening to the album from beginning to end. Haven just sounded monotonous throughout (musically), so I'm not sure if the vocals are to blame.