What do you think of this guitar sound?

muckypup1

Sinister Haven \m/
Jul 13, 2009
UK, Islington
What do you think of this guitar sound?

Its just a short clip of a song I have been working on. Its very scooped I know but seeming as there are lots of people with lots of experience with music, I though it would be best to ask in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think for this genre its very well suited. I want to hear it without drumkit from hell, though. Context is everything.

lol i second that, try going to multiouts and blend the snare, kicks etc on bus tracks with other samples, and in superior open up x-drum and take in a different snare & process it accordingly (like the nashville standard if you have it - its a very nice snare)

Am I the only one that things this tone sounds like shit? All fizz, no clarity, no chunk.

No offense dude, but I don't think that's a particularly good tone at all.
It's okay to have a tone that doesn't have heaps of mids, in fact it's preferable in most cases, but you've sucked out so many that the percussive attack, the chunk factor basically, is just gone from the tone.
If it ain't chunking, you've removed too many mids

I wanted no mids at all, Meshuggah have no mids. I was trying to get a Meshuggah'ry style sound, its why it was detuned so low. Anyway, it will have chunk once the bass is added and the song is finished.

I wanted no mids at all, Meshuggah have no mids. I was trying to get a Meshuggah'ry style sound, its why it was detuned so low. Anyway, it will have chunk once the bass is added and the song is finished.

Meshuggah's tone has a TON more mids, and is way less fizzy. Listen to Obzen at 3:00. Its tight as. The mids aren't in the same place as normal guitars, but that's cos they're an octave lower.

I'm feeling like a cunt so I think I'm going to direct my frustrations at you.

Okay, so, you post up a topic saying "what do you think of this guitar sound?"
Presumably this is because you want people's opinions from BOTH sides of the fucking coin so you can improve your guitar tone, but no, because you're a bit of a cock and you just want a fucking ego boost.

A) Your hearing is fucking broken. Meshuggah is all fucking mids, cunt.
B) A Meshuggah-esque sound is not detuning what appears to be a 6 string (but I cannot be bothered to examine your grainy fucking webcam video for more than 5 seconds to check whether it's a 6 or 7 string) down a fucking octave and proceeding to mash on the frets like you're having an epileptic seizure.
C) It will not have chunk when the bass is added because you can't dial in a tone that is of anything more than abysmal quality to save your fucking life.

You asked for my opinion, you got it, and you subsequently ignored it and proceeded to reply to everyone elses posts going OH THANX DOOD because they were compliments.
This leads me to believe you don't want to improve as an engineer, you just want to boost your fucking ego.

How about we try it my way? You pay some fucking attention to your critics and take on board everything they have to fucking say rather than just sweeping them under the carpet and pretending they don't fucking exist.
You take compliments with a grain of salt.
You be more critical of your own recordings.
You listen to a fucking Meshuggah record again and realise that you're a clueless wanker who has no idea what mids sound like.

Perhaps I've not been the most constructive in my criticism, but you do NOT ask for people's opinion and then ignore the fucking criticism, because the criticism is what helps you grow as an engineer.

Yes, I'm on my man period, fuck you.

EDIT: You know what? I'm not finished.
I have no idea how the fuck you can be so deluded about your talent (or mind-boggling lack thereof) for dialling in guitar tones.
You go around offering re-amping saying you can get tones that better the fucking Black Album (not that I like that album or it's production because I think the songs are shit and that the mix is shit but it's hugely respected and a metal production benchmark and I'm just a cunt who listens to subbass rumbles 90% of the time,) subsequently get called out on how fucking pathetic your tones sound, then you come back a month later posting up a guitar tone that sounds like someone taking a massive shit the morning after a night on the town mixed with bees in a tin can. Your older tones were abysmal but this is something else man. This sounds like my first fucking no-name practice amp. This sounds like the kids at college who think Korn are a good band and think Zoom pedals are the shit.
You have fucking REGRESSED, not PROgressed. How this is possible is completely and utterly beyond me. We all have our off days but this takes the fucking piss.
Next, you're using ezdrummer? JESUS FUCKING CHRIST ON A DINOSAUR. Do you have any idea how fucking dated EzDrummer sounds already? Or have you just somehow missed the fucking boat on that one?
Using EZDrummer is pretty much a death sentence waiting to happen.
Maybe it's just me, but I long ago grew fucking sick of that disgusting, obnoxious sounding snare drum that every cunt on a guitar forum has cracked and uses for their shitty demos that will never be enjoyed by anyone with a working set of ears and any sort of taste in music. But I'm damn sure I'm not alone on that one.

Seriously man. WHAT THE FUCK?!

Also, is that you doing vocals?
You might actually make me cry. It cannot be fucking possible to make that noise. IT SOUNDS LIKE A CAT WITH A THROAT INFECTION.

886.jpg

Gareth basically typed what I was gonna type, but in FAR less restrained terms:lol:

<3 you so much Gareth

Wow Gareth, can you say "excoriating lambaste"? :lol:

in the OP's defense i'll say he did point out that the tone was very scooped, and that this was what he was looking for an opinion on... not the snare tone or vox. hey... I use EzDrummer for quick 'sketch-pad" writing purposes too. that point was totally irrelevant. so was your attack on the vocals, especially as the annotations in the vid point out that it was a female doing those.

i did get a smile out of your reply though, and you made some valid points, couched in the blistering rhetoric of "ihaven'thadmydailycofeefix-ism" though they may have been.

as for the OP, i'll simply leave it at pointing out that this thread belongs in the the Rate My Tone/Mix sub-forum.