What does it take for a Metal album to make a difference ?

G1

Dec 8, 2008
What im talking about here is...

Say a band decides THEY want to be the reason that underground metal is looked at differently, with a new side of respect. What do you think it would take from said band to do so.

The reason why im asking is because my own band where talking amongst ourselves about what we thought it would take to change how metal is heading and place it onto a different track and bring the quality of music back around.

Do you think its possible to pre determine an albums course out right till the end with a soul goal and aim without deviating from the course ?

Is it possible for one band to still make that difference with one album ?

If so, how ?

Maybe every metal band makes a difference with each album. If an album comes out, someone, somewhere is probably going to like it, and in their mind it has changed the course/sound of metal music. Now if that album happens to be very popular then a lot of people will draw influence from it and future music will sound more similar to it, hence changing the course of metal music.

As for quality, its all about bringing musicianship and good songwriting back to the table. Personally I'd say a band like Sylosis are a cut above the rest, with quality songs, excellent playing and a purely professional mindset, but again this is only subjective, they may have changed modern metal for people like me but there are bound to be people who label them as a shit metalcore band.

i see quite a lot new bands saying they are "the next best thing". I tried to rationalize for a long time all the elements to make a perfect band/music, and i couldn't come up with anything. It ranges from the simplicity of Ramones to crazyness of Necrophagist.

So you either sell-out, or try to come up with something new, or play with your heart and be forever broke.

What really makes an impact to me is when a band makes every note count and makes every last second of their music memorable.

You have to just make the best music you can make. The only real decisions you can make are ones of dedication and perseverance and of course who you work with (band personnel and producers and less directly artistically important --labels and managers).
I'd suggest against self-producing. Some people can do it but most of us benefit from outside help.

just write honest music, don't try to be something you're not

people will recognize honesty in music and appreciate it more for longer than a glossy production with nothing under the surface

Play from the heart brother. Can't force anything when it comes to creativity.

This is literally it.
Everyone is completely unique and if everyone just played from the heart we'd never ever be short of unique music with something to say in every single genre.