What does "Lethe" mean?

Lethe was the river in Greek mythology whose waters, when drunk, caused the dead soul to forget the past.

So, where´s that FAQ when it´s needy? (Yeah, I know... But I am to lazy, not as productive and filled with energy as you guys... So come on! Do it now... I most certainly gotta sleep...:)

And Yeah...
@ Melancholia... That fanzine where you are writing... There´s nothing about DT in there! Do something! NOW DAMNIT!(All this said with a Cartmanish voice)

Mmmmm...anywhy?

-phyros, over and out-

Ahhh! I nearly forgot!

There are five rivers in Hades ( the home of the dead in greek mythology ) These are:

1. Styx (the border river, you have to cross it with the ferryman Charon, or else you will walk around at the beach for all eternity)

2. Acheron ( a black and somber river)

3. Phlegeton (the burning river)

4. Cocytus ( a river filled with tears )

5. Lethe ( the river of forgetfullness, the water erases all memory of the earthly life)

There´s more after that, just to frekkin´tired, and you can look it up yourselves...:)

mmmmkay...I´m out.

At river Styx, Charon sing "Mr Roboto" to you on the way over, its rumored some even stay on the beach for eternity in order to avoid Charons terrible singing.

Hey, these ppl tried to deceive ya! Lethe is a spanish word that means you're quite sexy, and all women around ya can smell your macho-man essence. A Lethe can eat without problems of weight and can establish the democracy in Cuba. If you're Lethe, you're the #1!!!

Phyros seems to have read much greek mythology! :)

as for the zine....a Cartmanish voice??????what kind of voice is this?? are you shouting at me??:mad: :p
oh,well,I'll do my best about that in the future...I want to write about soooo many things :) thanks for checking the page!!!

@ Melancholia... Yeah, I have...:) Love mythology/religion/history in most forms... Anyway... Cartmanish? You havn´t seen saouthpark? Hmmmm... If so, Do....:)
Arrrwwww... I´m so frekkin tired and I sound like a besserwisser, sorry folks ARGGHHAGHAGHT!!
I´m out. Really. I am.

Originally posted by Phyros
There are five rivers in Hades ( the home of the dead in greek mythology ) These are:

1. Styx (the border river, you have to cross it with the ferryman Charon, or else you will walk around at the beach for all eternity)

2. Acheron ( a black and somber river)

3. Phlegeton (the burning river)

4. Cocytus ( a river filled with tears )

5. Lethe ( the river of forgetfullness, the water erases all memory of the earthly life)
Mhn..good on you guy, usually non-latins(greek) people do not know anything about southern mythology.
Now you have to show us that you can write it correctly (in greek), though, then conjugate the verb "leipo", make 30 push ups and read aloud the Divine Comedy with a strong XIII century accent!

:D

Damn.. Do I feel embarassed or what? :) I didn't know a thing about the rivers.. I've just heard about Acheron, which btw passes by my mother's birthplace, and how it is related to Hades.. but nothing about the rest!

About Lethe.. I've read something about an oracle in ancient Greece (the Trofoniou's oracle.. it's mythology anyway).. whoever was seeking for an answer .. first they had to drink from the waters of oblivion (nice job there Melancholia.. I didn't know the english word for lethe... "lithi" in greek), and then from the waters of forgetfulness ("mnimosyni" in greek)...

"give me to drink of the fluid that disintegrates"
"and lend me the sweet balm and blessing
of forgetfulness, empty and strong"
hmmm.. makes sense huh? :)

here.. the whole sentence as I found it.. in plain greek..
"osoi zhtousan apanthsh apo to manteio tou Trofoniou epinan apo to nero ths lithis prota kai meta ths mnimosynis"
hope it helps.. c'ya :)

I didn't know the english word for lethe... "lithi" in greek), and then from the waters of forgetfulness ("mnimosyni" in greek)...

hoohohohoho he're in Spain we have a cloth softener called Mimosín heheheheehe don't think they took the name after that XD
ooops I'm acting instinctively (like animals 'cause I can't really thing) loudly....

Originally posted by TheMindzI

here.. the whole sentence as I found it.. in plain greek..
"osoi zhtousan apanthsh apo to manteio tou Trofoniou epinan apo to nero ths lithis prota kai meta ths mnimosynis"

In case of misunderstanding.. THAT was in greeklish (greek with latin characters)

THIS is greek :)

" 'Ïóïé æçôïýóáí áðÜíôçóç áðü ôï ìáíôåßï ôïõ Ôñïöïíßïõ Ýðéíáí áðü ôï íåñü ôçò ëÞèçò ðñþôá êáé ìåôÜ ôçò ìíçìïóýíçò. "

oracle = ìáíôåßï
lethe = ëÞèç
forgetfulness = ìíçìïóýíç
water = íåñü

ok this was free.. u'll have to pay for the next lesson :p

Originally posted by FatherVic

hoohohohoho he're in Spain we have a cloth softener called Mimosín heheheheehe don't think they took the name after that

hehe... here in Chile we have baby diapers called Mimosín..

Originally posted by FatherVic
I don't think my PC (or may be it's UltimateMetal) which supports Greek alphabet so you won't see a coin from me :D

for internet explorer.. go to view/encoding.. and select Greek (ISO).. hope it works :)

@tlantis (I´m joining the trend..:)...

Now you have to show us that you can write it correctly (in greek), though, then conjugate the verb "leipo", make 30 push ups and read aloud the Divine Comedy with a strong XIII century accent!

Well, I just did 30 push-ups for you, and I´ve allready read The Divine Comedy (though not with an accent, actually in 1960´s english:) But that conjugation of the verb... Well... Let´s just all be happy that I won´t try...:)

-Me Be Out!-