What effect is this?

Aceshighhhh

Jun 4, 2010
I'm doing a cover of this song and I can't figure out what type of effect is used to get this sound.

It starts at about 0:21 through 0:24

I know it's a sort of glitchy phaser effect, but I was wondering if there's a plugin that could achieve this? Or if done by hand, what sort of effects need to be used to get a sound closest to this effect?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Misha did this and I bet he has his own way of doing it, but I would hi pass the guitar and manually cut the guitar to make it "glitch".

Love this band, btw.

yea prolly a high pass on that guitar part then stutter it i guess u could use the vst dblue Glitch for the stutter effect if u dont wanna do it manually.

I think guitar rig has a gate that you can 'program' to gate at intervals and achieve this effect, but honestly it probably was done manually during mastering.

Yeah I figured I'd have to manually chop it up, but it sounds like there's something else going on besides the glitching. Sounds almost like a weird water effect, which seems like it's panned center.

If that makes any sense haha

If you cant achieve it by hand/manually cutting them up/pitching sections etc, then try "Stutter Edit" from Izotope. I would never buy it, because it´s just so much more fun doing it by hand. But, try it out! I think it would achieve the effect you are after.

Try KillerGate from Novakill there is pretty much this effect as preset i think you have to edit the preset to actually gate it.
and then add a phaser or something that sweeps up fast down up or something like that :D Think waves has something in this way programmable.

http://www.novakill.com/killerz.htm