What exactly is pumping?

allplaydead

Nov 6, 2009
I understand it has to do with the volume going up and down from bad settings on a master compressor. But whenever someone comments that a mix is pumping on the forums I really cannot hear what they are talking about for the life of me.

Could anyone explain a bit more in depth about what exactly it is, or maybe post some extreme examples of pumping?

I understand it has to do with the volume going up and down from bad settings on a master compressor. But whenever someone comments that a mix is pumping on the forums I really cannot hear what they are talking about for the life of me.

Could anyone explain a bit more in depth about what exactly it is, or maybe post some extreme examples of pumping?

If something like a snare or guitar chug peaks alot due to a frequency buildup, it will cause 'ducking' or what you're calling pumping from the master limiter, it's just kicking in too hard for those peaks causing the whole mix to sound like it's going in and out of a wall of blankets. This is usually because the person hasn't taken care of those frequency buildups on the individual channels before touching their master bus.

The album "Planetary Duality" from the band The Faceless, is a well known example of an album with pumping problems.
I can tolerate it because I love the music of that album, and it's okay when you don't listen to it too loud, but albums that pump hard are just horrible to listen to at high volumes, it makes me feel nauseous.

Ah, I got it now. So the sound is not changing in volume per se, just kinda waving in and out.

Ah, I got it now. So the sound is not changing in volume per se, just kinda waving in and out.

Yeah, what happens normally is this:

• The constant sounds (open guitars, bass, vocals) play at a fairly consistent level

• Some percussive element (normally the kick, but sometimes the snare or palm-muted guitars) is significantly louder than the constant sounds.

• When you run the whole thing through a compressor, the peaks from that percussive element get squeezed down in volume - and all the constant sounds get reduced with it. The more gain reduction on the compressor, and the higher the ratio, the more noticeable it is.

So when you listen to it, that percussive element sounds the same volume the whole time, but everything else is one volume most of the time, then gets noticeably reduced when the percussive element plays, then goes back afterwards - giving the sense of someone rhythmically pulling down the volume then pushing it back up.

In music lacking dynamics, it can be used to give a sense of groove and intensity (normally referred to as "breathing") - hence being popular in dance music where there's very little actually going on musically. You have to be careful if you try to use it as an effect though, as it's very easy to over do, and it's really tiring to listen to.

Steve

Pumping is usually caused by a very quick attack followed by a med/long release on a compressor/limiter when set to extreme gain reduction.

The quick attack sucks the sound down and the release lets the sound rise up giving the "pump" sound.

A heavy sound like a kick drum can yank the gain reduction down followed by the rise of a cymbal after it. You hear that a lot on Ringos stuff.

Here is an example in the song "Tell 'em" at about 30 sec in:
http://www.myspace.com/sleighbellsmusic

The overheads are usually what gives it away, they sound super wavey. On mixes that pump really badly, the cymbals sound like they're playing backwards :lol:

Mnemic's new album Sons of The System is a good example of tolerable pumping. It's super squished and super loud, but to get like that it's a touch on the brick-walled side. But fuck it, it suits their music and sounds super crushing.

Example (listen to the overheads, especially in the chorus)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMHvveTdhEQ&playnext_from=TL&videos=h1WyQ1I1t9Y[/ame]