What gothic is...

Mariner

all the way
Dec 30, 2001
Belgium
Previous post of Medhi: (didn't want to answer in the other subject, because it's another subject)

man, who could you call antimatter 'gothic'? do you know what 'gothic' is? did you ever hear to 'saviour' from the first song to the last one? i don't see any link between antimatter and the cure or fucking sisters of mercy.

peace,
mehdi

OK, Sisters is gothic.Totally agreed. BUT you have something in metal what they call also gothic. Bands like Tiamat, Type O Negative and Theatre of Tragedy (the old one). Or how do you call them???

Originally posted by Mariner

BUT you have something in metal what they call also gothic. Bands like Tiamat, Type O Negative and Theatre of Tragedy (the old one). Or how do you call them???

Can you please explain me what Antimatter and (old) ToT have in common... Except female vocals? *gg*

well, i have no idea what you guys are talking about, but i'll blurt this out anyway, and i might be on the same topic as you guys are...antimatter definitely has a gothic touch to them (lyrics, tunes...) Eos - entwine is wonderful!

Originally posted by Don Corleone
well, i have no idea what you guys are talking about, but i'll blurt this out anyway, and i might be on the same topic as you guys are...antimatter definitely has a gothic touch to them (lyrics, tunes...)

Ok, there maybe is a gothic touch.. But I wouldn't say that Antimatter are "gothic" just because of that...

Eos - entwine is wonderful!

Yes, they are :D Can't wait to see them live (fiiinaalyyy!!!!)!!! :worship: :lol:

i don't see anything gothic in antimatter. you guys should know that dark is different than gothic. some radiohead's music is dark, will any of you dare to call it 'gothic'? the same for nick cave, tori amos or mogwai...

antimatter has obviously nothing to do with gothic, metal or even rock.

take it easy,
mehdi

Originally posted by LoboUivante
gothic music developed from pop, its easily confused with Doom Metal wich was the reaction to death metal. Goth has along with Doom melancholic parts, but cant be compared with tecnhical expertise.

Doom Metal is one of the origninal metal styles (Black Sabbath being the first true "metal" band) and was not a reaction to death metal (maybe Doomdeath...).

Originally posted by hornblow555
Doom Metal is one of the origninal metal styles (Black Sabbath being the first true "metal" band) and was not a reaction to death metal (maybe Doomdeath...).

are black sabbath gothic? haha :D

nick cave is damn gothic, and very aptly deserves the label "goth rock". and i still think that antimatter has that gothic feelin to it, though i woudlnt necessarily call them truly goth band. and yeah, doom metal has never been a reaction to death metal either. oh, all these talks about genres...

nick cave is damn gothic, and very aptly deserves the label "goth rock". and i still think that antimatter has that gothic feelin to it, though i woudlnt necessarily call them truly goth band.

i think you should see the difference between playing 'gothic' music and 'dark' music. nick cave plays dark music for sure, but he's 1.000.000.000km away from The Cure, Sisters Of Mercy or fucking Siouxie & The Banshee.

cheers,
mehdi

mehdi, don't you know that guys from sister of mercy hate calling them gothic band?
anyway, i think this thread doesn't make sense anymore. labels are for magazines and newspapers. real music doesn't know labels (if you know what I mean).

Well, as hard as i try, i can't find no damn "gothic touch" in Antimatter's music!! I don't know, maybe i'm a little confused with all those music labels, but a "gothic touch"????
I mean just think about, could anyone find any kind of similarity between Antimatter, and classic gothic bands such as Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Joy Division, Fields of the Nephilim, Clan of Xymox etc????
You can't have say that a band is "gothic" just because it has female vocals!!!
In that case, are the Gathering gothic as well???? :0

OK, I must admit that ambient or dark metal is better than call it gothic. But there are a lot of people calling it gothic metal (and yes, the gathering was gothic for me), from now on I will call it ambient. And now there are probably people that are saying that house is ambient music. :p