What happened to metal in the UK?

maestro_al

Who Dares Wins
Mar 26, 2002
Regardless of whether you like them or not, the following bands were revolutionary - and indeed inspirational to all bands around the world today:

Led Zepellin, The Beatles, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, Def Leppard, Sex Pistols, etc, etc.

So what went wrong? How did music die such a horrific death in the UK? What is the obsession with rave music - is it the drug scene? :p

Yes, there are bands still playing in the UK, but not significant enough to join the list above. Somehow the rest of the continent (particularly Germany and Sweden) have taken the throne. What a shame, because there is obviously talent hidden away in the UK - unfortunatley I assume everyone wants to be the next Blur or Oasis. :(

So how does the UK regain it's status held in the 70's and early 80's?!

You're right to a certain degree.

If you think about it, it was British bands like Diamond Head and Blitzkreig that kick-started bands like Exodus and Metallica into playing a heavier form of metal. And then in the late 80's Carcass redefined death metal and took it to an entirely new level, spawning a host of copycat acts.

But since then? I have to say that it's next to nothing. Paradise Lost started well, and bands like Anathema and MDB were quick to join the party, but they soon slipped into sub-Metallica bollocks.

I believe the problem, especially now, is entirely down to the UK's mainstream rock press. Kerrang and Metal Hammer are hugely influencial and all they cover is American bands. All the bands coming out of the UK today want to sound and look American becuase they know no better. There are a few exceptions of course, but not many.

Kerrang and Metal Hammer both have the power to change this, but the writers are far too cynical and anti-metal to do anything about it. Rock Hard mag in Germany would happily have Stratovarious on the cover of their mag. The same band would be lucky to have their album reviewed in Kerrang or MH. Even if they did they'd have the piss taken out of them. Even UK bands like Skyclad, Bal-Sagoth and Benediction, all of whom sell a huge amount of records in continental Europe, are ignored.

So, basically, the mainstream press here is resolutely anti-metal and great bands from the continent are cynically ignored or sneered at in a "we're-so-much-cooler-than-you" way (power metal fans are known as "Gumbies", etc..).

The UK metal scene is dead until the press decide that it's okay to like metal again... Sad but true.

Lee B

Good points - by the way, I forgot to mention Judas Priest as an influential band from the UK. Without doubt, several of todays Power Metal bands owe a debt of gratitude to Priest.

I used to live in the UK, and it got to a point where being a metal fan was almost unacceptable. I think the 'straw that broke the camels back' was seeing Manic Street Preachers and Stereophonics on the covers of Kerrang and Metal Hammer.

It's interesting because in the USA, there is such a huge metal following (compared to the UK) that there seems to be no 'shame' in admitting to Joe Bloggs that you are a heavy metal fan. It is much more accepted here. And likewise, the continent of Europe has no issues - Greece, Germany, Sweden etc LOVE true metal.

Every city in the USA has at least 2 to 3 rock radio stations (playing 24 hours) and although they won't play Gamma Ray or Iced Earth at 12 noon, it is a MUCH better situation to the radio stations in the UK (probably some of the worst radio stations in the world).

Whether you like the band or not, radio stations in the US have a three hour timeslot everyweek called "Mandatory Metallica" where they play nothing but Metallica all the way back to Kill em All era. I find that incredible. In 1998, the mayor of Philadelphia announced "Van Halen" day, and every year the radio stations in Phili play nothing but Van Halen on that day. Again, whether you like the bands or not, the concept of metal is not a taboo subject in the US.

Sorry to say, but I can't see the UK EVER getting back to where it was in the mid-80's and that is a real shame. It doesn't surprise me that people like Ozzy live in the USA - his OzzFest concerts are the largest selling concerts every year. And to think that Black Sabbath originated from Birmingham......:cry:

"And to think that Black Sabbath originated from Birmingham..."
As did Godflesh, Carcass, Napalm Death, etc. :)
Lee B.'s right on the money about the cynicism of the UK mainstream press. At least Terrorizer still do a decent job. Metal in the UK hasn't died as such though - it's just that the more impressionable bands are trying to sound American and the better ones are forced underground because they're not cool enough.

I was surprised when recently visiting the UK on vacation and checked into a used shop in Canterbury and found no Metal. They had a Metal section but it was full of KORN, SLIPKNOT and a slew of other bands in that vein but NO Metal albums.

For a country so close to Germany, Scandinavia, and Italy, the music scene seems a million miles away.

Queen Mother: RIP. (A good innings at 101).

Originally posted by maestro_al
For a country so close to Germany, Scandinavia, and Italy, the music scene seems a million miles away.

Queen Mother: RIP. (A good innings at 101).

Britain's becoming more like the 51st state of America each day... I wouldn't be suprised if we converted to the Dollar rather than the Euro!

And yeah, the Queen Mum did live to a ripe old age. A diet of Swan and Gin must be good for you :)

Lee

Originally posted by Lee_B

Britain's becoming more like the 51st state of America each day...

Lee

That position, I'm afraid, has been taken by Canada. :lol:

By the way, does the UK still have the Donnington Monsters of Rock festival each year? Those were the most awesome gigs - cannisters of piss and beer being thrown about, and some of the best line ups! Hilarious.

Did they ever top the line up of 1988? Iron Maiden, Kiss, GnR, Megadeth, Helloween....I'll always remember this concert because of the fans that died in the crush of 100,000 fans.

Would there even be a crush these days? How is Castle Donnington holding up?

It's not just the UK media that doesn't accept metal - it's the people too. Once upon a time, bands like Megadeth and Slayer would have filled Wembley Arena. Nowadays, they would be lucky to fill a pub somewhere in Cornwall. OK that's an exaggeration, but the last time Megadeth toured the UK, they could barely fill the London Astoria.

At the same time, these bands sell out the Budokan in Japan etc because people around the world still love metal. Generally speaking, the people in the UK just tend to like acid techno house music a bit more than metal.

P.S. Megadeth have split up now anyway.

Lee_B: My denim demon friend, I think that you being the only member in the "UK Metal" forum is a testament to how alone you may be in the UK metal scene!

How difficult is it for you to be constantly surrounded by spice girl fans, or ravers looking for the next warehouse rave and ecstasy fix?!

Keep the faith buddy - and remember that you are welcome wherever true metal exists! (Ever think about moving to the US, Sweden, or Germany..?) :)

I agree with you all - The UK metal scene is in it's most desperate hour.

Recent events, like the rise of Blaze, Iron Maiden's return to form (hey - a no.5 single in the UK charts!), and bands like Area 54 are contributing to a comeback.

Unfortunately, this does not look like it's going to happen anytime soon. You are very right about the press, also, maestro_al - I remember the day that Kerrang became Kerrapp, the day Raw magazine changed it's image, and featured Liam Gallagher on it's cover almost as much as the Daily Mail features Lady Diana (i.e. Every Issue they ever release).

It is a sad thing that the Country that unleashed Black Sabbath, Saxon, Deep Purple, and later, Iron Maiden - should be reduced to a country of car-tuning idiots, who listen to music that I could create on my Amiga 500 in five minutes.

Oh well - Keep an eye on Area 54 - they are due to sign a new deal very soon (several interested labels), and have steadily aquired a large(ish) fan-base.

Maybe then, Metal Hammer, Kerrang, Spin, and Raw will look up, and "See the Light".

No offence to anyone in the UK, but isn't part of the reason why so many people lean towards techno dance music is because of the huge drug culture? Yes, the press is very anti-metal, but it's a case of chicken or the egg. The press will go with the flow of what people are listening to, and the people will listen to what is being promoted in publications etc.

Traditionally, going out in the UK means going to the pub. So there is a strong alcohol induced social life but the drinking was always accompanied by great conversation. But now there seems to be an epidemic of ecstasy in the UK - I heard that it's so bad now that approximatley 1 million youths are taking 'e' every weekend and jumping around to acid and not actually engaging in any real interaction.

I think metal might have been killed off in the UK by class A drugs. I might be wrong but it's just a thought.

Personally, I blame the the junk of Nu-metal/pop punk... My school is fairly heavy into overall alt. I'm the only True fan in my year to my knowledge...

I guess the only answer is to start the conversion process... that, and try to get metal more heavily featured in the press

Originally posted by LucioArgento
No offence to anyone in the UK, but isn't part of the reason why so many people lean towards techno dance music is because of the huge drug culture? Yes, the press is very anti-metal, but it's a case of chicken or the egg. The press will go with the flow of what people are listening to, and the people will listen to what is being promoted in publications etc.

Traditionally, going out in the UK means going to the pub. So there is a strong alcohol induced social life but the drinking was always accompanied by great conversation. But now there seems to be an epidemic of ecstasy in the UK - I heard that it's so bad now that approximatley 1 million youths are taking 'e' every weekend and jumping around to acid and not actually engaging in any real interaction.

I think metal might have been killed off in the UK by class A drugs. I might be wrong but it's just a thought.

I agree.

It's quite sad that this is the way the music of the late 90's/early 00's will be looked back upon by future generations: a drug-fuelled, vicious, computer-generated, violent scene.

I agree that the popularity of drugs has a HUGE role to play in the uprising of more dance-y music and subsequently, the asphyxiation of the metal scene, but I also think that the media and increasing popularity of nu-metal has a lot to do with it to..

The tabloids have always slagged off Metal (as far as I can remember, anyway) but up until very recently havent *really* had any grounds to base their criticisms upon aside from the laughable "hidden messages" and unproved mindless violence they accused of happening at gigs. However, with nu-metals popularity brought a whole new breed of young kids who latched onto the music but totally forgot what metal was all about.

You overhear some of them going on about how many people they're supposidly going to hurt in the 'pits, or how "cool" the latest band is because of the amount of times they say "fuck you" in 23 seconds. They've created an increasingly bad name for metal with their mindless attitudes towards gigging, and this is shown by the amount of deaths occuring at bands' gigs such as Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Papa Roach, where they simply do not give a fuck who they hurt, or who they step on, and straight away, the media zooms in on this and has a fucking field day in the papers once again, about the "evils" and overall dangers of your child listening to metal music.

But do they focus their attention more-so on the increasing amount of drug related and influenced deaths at dance-clubs? No...they dont..

Sad but True.
:(

Reference to a character from a comic published in the UK - "Viz".

The strip which involves "Ravey Davey Gravey" shows said character hearing things like car alarms, door bells, telephones, and sirens, and thinking he is at a Club - so he starts dancing.

It's just a piss-take of the stupid nature of kids that listen to Amiga500/CuBase music, and think it's great.

Originally posted by MattBlack
I agree with you all - The UK metal scene is in it's most desperate hour.

Recent events, like the rise of Blaze, Iron Maiden's return to form (hey - a no.5 single in the UK charts!), and bands like Area 54 are contributing to a comeback.
Oh well - Keep an eye on Area 54 - and have steadily aquired a large(ish) fan-base.

Maybe then, Metal Hammer, Kerrang, Spin, and Raw will look up, and "See the Light".

couldnt have said it better meself matt.

54 are definately on their way up - finally- but UNFORTUNATELY it seems they are never going to reach the heights that they should cuz they arent getting the deserved recognition ... and all the kids know about these days are the rediculous depths and evils of trendy metal, not the cool stuff with real talent!!!!! which is what 54 are... apparently talent doesnt matter these days....

as u say - i could make a most interesting tune and get to number one - just using my mini keyboard with 15 keys! lol

grrrr