What has the world come to?

Adoney

Infant Member
Oct 1, 2012
When musicians struggle to raise enough for producing their music, many labels are shrinking and many losing their capability to fully fund bands, and yet people will give ($40,000 so far) to THIS!? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad

At first, it made me laugh. But it wasn't long until reality set in. I feel happy for the creator of this project, but at the same time it's depressing that people would dump money into it...

Bravo, potato salad guy.

Anyways, how does it make you (especially those of you who have done kickstarters, like I have) feel? :ill:

What in the fuck? I'm quitting my job and I'm just going to make plain old salad.

This impossible bullshit is/did making a bunch of money: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/solar-roadways

Seconded! After watching thunderf00t's series on solar roadways I couldn't believe it. But, potato salad is still more practical than solar roadways, I must say.

It looks like it's the age of "make the dumbest idea imaginable, and ask people for money"

I thought this would fall under the "fund my life" category of prohibited campaigns but maybe not? Either way based on some of the reward tiers and project updates I do not think it will be completed despite the money. It's like the various kickstarters to fund a Deathstar that get shut down right before the end. I would be surprised if there was any other result. Plus one backer was tracking the funding in real time and saw jumps in the thousands as if one person was dumping several k at a time.

Not everyone's stupid idea gets funded. TBH though it pisses me off that some asshole can ask people to fund his potato salad making escapade and actually receive enough funding.

My buddies band asked for $9k to go to Europe and just barely fucking made the goal. Some asshole is making potato salad and has over $7k with more than 20 days to go? Fuck humans.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/katienotopoulos/37-saddest-failed-kickstarters

the real sad thing is, there are way more people we can even start to imagine who spend that money on a daily basis on anything. Some people pay a bottle of champain worth that every time they go to club. Happens daily in southeast of france with the new rich russians. People buy a million dollar watch every day as well. Lil wayne owns a ton of expensive cars, including a veyron that is, alone, worth your whole life's earnings even if you have a good job. This alone is sad.

What would be awesome, at least, is if this potato salad transforms in a big party with no profit except the fun. At least it would have been useful in its own way.

the real sad thing is, there are way more people we can even start to imagine who spend that money on a daily basis on anything. Some people pay a bottle of champain worth that every time they go to club. Happens daily in southeast of france with the new rich russians. People buy a million dollar watch every day as well. Lil wayne owns a ton of expensive cars, including a veyron that is, alone, worth your whole life's earnings even if you have a good job. This alone is sad.

What would be awesome, at least, is if this potato salad transforms in a big party with no profit except the fun. At least it would have been useful in its own way.

I'm kinda drunk but that's some pretty deep shit man. The world is a fucked up sad place sometimes, maybe we need more potato salad parties.

Valuation is completely skewed with our present day economy. Music is not a hot commodity. It's everywhere, it's undervalued, and when people have no need to fund something, they won't. It's why none of your CDs are selling. It's why most of my clients are struggling. It's why most of us are, in turn, struggling to turn around enough profits to stay afloat doing engineering as a day job.

You want money? Get into oil or stock broking. Usually selling people resources which are common-heritage to all mankind, or contributing absolutely nothing tangible to the world are the best ways to enrich yourself financially.

this is beyond ridiculous, I almost have no words. As I said before, if it was for some solid reason as a cancer cirurgy or something related with health for people who really need and dont have conditions to do it, probably most of the people wouldnt give a fuck.

After seeing this, that guy asking money for bass strings and studio equipment doesnt sound so ridiculous as before! :zombie:

Does anyone really think people will actually donate the money? I mean, isn't it just a "Promise" to donate, but when it comes down to shelling out the bucks these donators are nowhere to be found?

There is probably a way to back out however the "promise" involves going through a full checkout including giving them your credit card number and billing. So while they charge your card when it's over, you've already given them all of your info and agreed to pay.
I admit to finding this annoying considering how many legitimate projects struggle to get funded but this is just a matter of something silly going viral.
The moral of the story is whatever you're doing, try to get it to the front page of reddit.