What have you all been liking this year?

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
This is a different crowd... somewhat... from the ProgPower forums and PM:X forums. So curious what people here have been listening to... and enjoying.

I've liked quite a bit from this year, actually, with many things I've yet to hear.

Lunar Aurora - Andacht
Necros Christos - Triune Impurity Rites
Graveland - Will Stronger Than Death
Inquisition - Nefarious Dismal Orations
Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum
Nominon - Terra Necrosis
Morrigan - The Damned
Pale Divine - Cemetery Earth
Obituary - Xecutioner's Return
Centurions Ghost - The Great Work
Darkthrone - F.O.A.D.
Atlantean Kodex - The Pnakotic Demos
Weird Light - Doomicvs Vobiscvm
Nunslaughter - Hex
Profanatica - Profanatitas De Demonatia
Doomsword - My Name Will Live On
Candlemass - King Of The Grey Islands
Stiny Plamenu - Odpadni Galerie
Deathevokation - The Chalice Of Ages
Mandatory - Where They Bleed...
Minotauri - II
Church Bizarre - Sinister Glorification
Witchtrap - No Anesthesia

Manes was interesting. I couldn't finish it though. Just wasn't doing enough for me at the time. But I enjoyed parts enough to give it a further listen. Thanks for the 'recommendation' though.

Manes might be the conservative American metalheads nightmare, given that they have a rap artist with a French accent on the album. :lol:
Actually, I think this album is really interesting, but honestly, this band has nowhere further to go within something like a 'heavy metal scene'. It's just beyond, so for their own benefit I would advise them to cut the connection and cater to the proper audiences for this type of music to somehow get gratification. Candlelight might not be the proper label either.

The new Manes was good, but Vilosophe was significantly better. The new Manes would do well to not sit on the metal fence anymore and drop all the 'distorted guitar' parts as they sound forced.

The new Candlemass was only a bit less weak than the last one. I'm very sad to say that Candlemass have not done anything that appealed to me since 'From the 13th Sun', which was pure Sabbath worship but still good. Abstract Algebra were significantly more interesting than the new Candlemass would ever be, it seems. Last good 'epic doom' record Candlemass made goes back to Chapter IV, heh.

Manes might be the conservative American metalheads nightmare, given that they have a rap artist with a French accent on the album. :lol:

Man, I fuckin' hated those parts and I consider myself pretty open-minded. I just don't like rap/hip-hop in my metal, though.

Occam's Razor said:
Actually, I think this album is really interesting, but honestly, this band has nowhere further to go within something like a 'heavy metal scene'. It's just beyond, so for their own benefit I would advise them to cut the connection and cater to the proper audiences for this type of music to somehow get gratification. Candlelight might not be the proper label either.

I find it strange that they're on Candlelight, too, when a better fit would be a more experimental label like Code666 (used to be with them), Hydra Head, etc.

Hydra Head is experimental? Anyway, I think you are right.

@ Helm: Have you heard the second Abstract Algebra in the original version that just got rereleased a couple of months ago?

No but werent Dactylis Glomerata basically it? If not I need to investigate!

Remember! Everybody hated Abstract Algebra back in the day and made it really difficult for Edling to put out non-Candlemass records. If only this wasn't so and today Edling wouldn't have been conditioned to make half-assed 'traditional doom' albums with 5 riffs each to please the steady fanbase.

Yes, it was Dactylis, but that very album got rereleased, and it has the original as a second cd in the package. There are additional songs an songs that are differently arranged. The singier is of course the original one as well, and I can't help but attest an utterly dark atmosphere to these recordings. I prefer that big time over anything with Messiah, whom I consider highly overrated anyway.

Messiah is my least favourite Candlemass singer easily. I will search for the second CD online, as I have Dactylis original and do not plan to buy it again, it's not one of their better disks.

Messiah is my least favourite Candlemass singer easily. I will search for the second CD online, as I have Dactylis original and do not plan to buy it again, it's not one of their better disks.

In Germany here, they'd beat you up for not liking Messiah, I can tell you. But you are oh so right. I always considered his singing to sound like German Schlager, which is bad folksy music for old people.

'From the 13th Sun' is my favorite Candlemass album by miles, and one of my favorite albums ever.

This year has been one disappointment after another as far as new releases. I liked Dark Tranquillity's 'Fiction', just getting into the Deathspell Omega, and nothing else is coming to mind. Witchtrap and Hellhound had good ones out, not sure whether that was this year though.

I've hardly heard anything from this year. The upcoming LotFPs really don't require "NOW" material, so I'll likely be catching up with a lot of it at the beginning of next year.

However, still in constant rotation is the latest Reverend Bizarre. Funny how their earlier work never really caught me (check the not-so-enthusiastic review I gave Harbinger of Metal in the 5th Anny issue) but the last two albums have me going insane.

So Long Suckers feels like a monumental, "Alltime Best List" kind of album but of course with only a month or so of listening, it's too early to say for sure.

Centurion's Ghost, Agent Steel, Candlemass, Sigh, Runemagick, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Winds, Virgin Black, Witchcraft, Nightingale, Doomsword, Deathspell Omega, Upwards of Endtime, Ignitor, Moonspell (the Under Satanae thing - I love their old stuff and I'm curious) and Jex Thoth have released/will release things this year that I want to get. And I haven't dug down deeper unfortunately, because there's no reason to tempt myself with things I can't yet buy.

Oh, Root released something this year, right? I'll be off to see them next month. It's not like they'll be back anytime soon...

Plus now that I'm at the point where buying XL shirts isn't just being hopelessly optimistic anymore, I need to expand my wardrobe.

ggaaaah.

What else am I going to need from this year?

You don't really need the Candlemass unless it's just for curiosity's sake. The last one before it was bad, this is a bit better because of Lowe, but still... not purchase-worthy. IT PAINS ME TO SAY THIS.

The new winds sounded semi-interesting on the internet. You're not serious on the Moonspell. They've lost it like, 5 records ago.

GET THE SACRED OATH. It consistently gives me heavy metal boners.

I think that you would do well to check out Atlantean Kodex and Minotauri from this year.