Fucking hell are Forums dying out?

AussieTerry84

\m/ Scanner Scrag \m/
Jun 22, 2008
There's just shy of 140,000 people registered on UM and only 22 online!

Majority of the sub forums newest posts are weeks old and this is for Official band forums!

Is it just UM or is there any other metal forums you guys can recommend? Its not the same since Dave Mustaine fucked up Total Anarchy!

Forums are either getting shit or im just growing up which it cant be because i have an Indiana Jones Kermit the Frog.

P.s. Southy the new Entombed A.D is sp fucking good been listening to it all week!

We give people a nudge towards ours all the time but its way too much effort to sign up for another account when they can just reply on Facebook or Twitter.

Shame really, forums are a lot easier to have a proper conversation on that you can refer back to.

Fucking hell thought id sign up on the official Maiden forums because they were huge when forums were at their peak but you need to pay a membership fee of £25!

Thats so wrong, forums should always remain outside of that area and free to build your base further!

EDIT

Geez even the Megadeth forum now has a paywall! That place use to be huge and my home 2001-2007.

Its interesting to note In Flames has their forum login set to facebook but its only got like 800 or so posts lol.

Deron is upgrading the forum software at the moment and there was talk of it using OpenAuth which will let you logon with Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc. - I think that'll help somewhat but it'll never be like it was between 2003 - 2006. Shame, really.

I think people using mobile devices as their main way to access the internet doesn't help matters either.

Discussion is way better on forums. Much more sustained and less fleeting.

Facebook groups have sucked a lot of traffic away - which I hope in time will flip the other way.

I am on a bunch of groups there, but I don't really post much because I hate the experience. It's not easy to go through older (even days old) posts, etc. - just a mess. I get the convenience of it, and once the upgrade happens - I'm going to try and mimic some of that (example, having an easier navigation to different areas so it's easier to jump around).

Plus, bands are pushing their traffic to social sites like that which baffles me. I have a page for Ultimate Metal - and when I post on there I'll "reach" anywhere from teens (what a joke) to maybe 350-400 people. I'd say 250 average - even though there are 1500+ people who liked the page. It's laughable. Again, I get the convenience for bands to do that - but you are not going to reach all those people that you spend all that time getting to "like" your page.

Plus, a lot of people are consumed with family and work these days. Tougher to make ends meet everywhere - so less time on forums etc.

Keep the faith, I'll be ramping things up after the upgrade (long overdue) :)

I hate posting on Facebook groups, especially if they're public ones because the comments will sometimes show up in my feed. I don't want people I'm friends with seeing stuff which I don't expressly post on Facebook for people to see.

I have faith, that's why I have always hung around and made the place smell a little.

As for Facebook groups, I don't know if I am involved in any, I think there is one for the Brisbane Metal or something, but that shows how much attention I even pay to it

I did wonder what the smell was!

I don't paste in facebook groups either for the same reason as Spiffo. I just don't want that shit appearing in people's feeds unless they're in the same group.

Keep us posted, Deron!