UM Top 25 of 2007

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/reviews/358234-staff-picks-2007-a.html

Welcome to UltimateMetal.com’s Staff Picks of 2007! It’s been a great year for metal, and we have plenty to say about it. Below you will find our individual staff picks – organized alphabetically by first name – with links to the corresponding reviews and commentaries underneath. Also, while some staff members chose to compile a Top 25, others opted for a Top 10 and a few even decided to remain silent.

Agree with our choices? Disagree? What’s on your Best of 2007 list? We want to know what you think!

George Grant

This is the first time I get to compile a list of favorite albums for UltimateMetal.com. Overall, 2007 was a fine year with many strong releases. Some band's listed here are groups that I have just been introduced to as well as other long established bands. Unlike other writers here I offer a list with no particular order. My reason for this is simply that I cannot offer a solid list for the best albums of the year. Over time my tastes and opinions could change, however, this should in no way lessen the distinction I have given to these albums. These albums are pure works of art that I will cherish for years to come.

Abigor - Fractal Possession
This is a cold and calculated release by the newly re-activated group. I usually do not enjoy such spastic music, but the overall feeling is so dark and fits perfectly with my vision of black metal. The new vocalist is the best since the Silenius period and fits perfectly with the new direction Abigor is headed in. I'm glad the band has formed back together and look forward to the more twisted releases they will create in the future.

Darkthrone - F.O.A.D.
If I was to rank the albums in order, as it stands this newest offering by Darkthrone would be my top pick. This is such an enjoyable release that I can't help but headbang to it every time songs like 'Fuck off and Die' and 'Raised on Rock' come on. Many do not like the current direction that Darkthrone is heading in, and they seem to forget or possibly do not even know that this is still a black metal release. Everyone is caught up in the second wave influence and do not recall the first wave and the sounds connected to it. For those who complain that Darkthrone have lost their black metal sound only need to read the album's title for the band's response.

Deathspell Omega – Fas -- Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum
This is an album that I'm sure will be on many writers' lists. It's such an immense and complex album that we have come to expect from Deathspell Omega. The band further proves why they are the front runners of modern black metal. It's surprising the direction Deathspell Omega has taken after the highly acclaimed Kénôse EP where many predicted more groove sections. However, what the band has offered is an aggressive work that leaves little rest for the listener. With the trilogy close to completion the future of Deathspell Omega will be highly watched.

Eviscerated - Rituals of Reanimation
Another great release from the Swedish label Blood Harvest. Like much of their label mates, Eviscerated play old-school death metal as it should be: dark and filthy. Eviscerated have a great ability of creating very sick and memorable riffs, as well as a drummer that knows exactly what beats and fills are needed to propel the songs. I look forward to the upcoming EP by Eviscerated and hope that they as well as the rest of the young bands on Blood Harvest have a very rich future.

Graveland - Will Stronger than Death
Rob Darken continues his brilliance with this release. I wasn't very impressed with Fire Chariot of Destruction, but Will Stronger than Death is a great album. The heavy riffs remind me very much of the later Bathory albums. Also, the choirs only help to build the atmosphere on this album. The pride that Darken places into these songs is immense. The clips offered by Darken for the new album due in 2008 are of equal quality and the chances of that album being on my list for next year is quite high.

Ignivimous - Path of Attrition
This debut demo from Australia's Ignivimous is a dark and crushing release. The band follows very much in the deep, down tuned tones from early Incantation. The atmosphere built in this release is very dark and very professional sounding, especially for a demo. As more and more bands play the older style of death metal the question of sincerity needs to be addressed, but be rest assured that Ignivimous is the real deal.

Mortuus - De Contemplanda Morte
Mortuus is a bit of an obscure band from Sweden. Having only released an EP a few years back the band has appeared with a great debut full-length this year. The sound follows mostly within the "Orthodox" style found on the rosters of NED and Ajna labels. However, Mortuus offers a more doomy touch to the music. The slow rhythms are what really help the album's progression. Even though there are moments of speed the relatively slow approach is very fitting to the album's theme of praising death. This is the perfect record to play on a dark night to be engulfed.

Nocturnal Graves - Satan's Cross
Very rarely do I get a chance to anticipate an album release. It seems more often than not new bands only become aware to me when an album has been released. However, in Nocturnal Graves case I received word of their album well before the release. After hearing a few samples the anticipation only grew and the album has lived up to the hype I have built. Nocturnal Graves play a thrashing style of death metal very much in the vein of Morbid Angel's debut album. You'll headbang throughout this album's release. For those who do not own a record player, Nuclear War Now! Productions will release the CD version in early 2008.

Peste Noire - Folkfuck Folie
This is a very sick, filthy and perverted release by French black metal group Peste Noire. Following the high acclaim of their previous release, La Sanie des siècles - Panégyrique de la dégénérescence, the band adopted the more raw sound found on this new album. This change in sound did cause a few fans to dismiss this release, but I find it to be just as powerful. The raw production fits perfectly with the theme of the album, AIDS, and the signature sound is still there. In fact, I found that the writing has taken a step up especially with regards to the bass guitar.

Watain - Sworn to the Dark
Many have cried sell out with the refined release from the popular Swedish group. I find this to be a very powerful work from the band that still retains the dark image they have been projecting. Seeing these tracks performed live in a way that only Watain can has only solidified my view on the album. The veil has been lifted a bit through the production and lyrics but this offers a clear look at the essence of Watain: a dark abyss.

Still to investigate:
Darkestra - Epos
Lunar Aurora - Andatch
Neurosis - Given to the Rising
Nifelheim - Envoy of Lucifer
Primordial - To the Nameless Dead
And a few more...

Jack Deming a.k.a. SILENT(_)SCREAM

1. Anaal Nathrakh – Hell is Empty, and All the Devils are Here
Sheer bombastic fury. One of the most original, straight to the point, pure fucking metal releases in years. Nothing this year even comes close in my opinion.

2. Moonsorrow - V: Hävitetty
This is a truly epic piece of music with two mammoth tracks that are musical journeys in themselves. Moonsorrow keeps on getting better and better with each release.

3. Finntroll – Ur Jordens Djup
Newcomer Vreth’s outstanding vocals fuel Finntroll’s return to their more blackened roots, while still incorporating folky melodies so catchy they’ll make your loins tingle.

4. Alcest- Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde
I first heard this album’s title track on a podcast while walking in Munich, and it captured my attention so fully that I literally forgot where I was going for a few minutes.

5. Devin Townsend – Ziltoid the Omniscient
Who said metal had to be serious? Or even have a shred of artistic credibility or reason behind the music? No one!

6. Turisas – The Varangian Way
Yes it's pretentious, yes it's gaudy, but it's also a damn fine piece of music. Some people really need to slide the rusty pole out of their pooper and enjoy this music for what it is. Entertainment.

7. Ensiferum – Victory Songs
I was relieved to see Ensiferum rebound back from the loss of key member Jari Mäenpää and the less than stellar Dragonheads EP to deliver this gem of heroic folk metal, owing to the superb songwriting of Markus Toivonen and vast improvement of vocalist Petri Lindroos.

8. T3h Shred Boiz – wtf
Probably the best unsigned project I’ve heard this year. Flawless musicianship, superb production, and completely off the wall musically. What's more, the album is available for free download at their myspace.

9. Ulver – Shadows of the Sun
Elegant, unrefined, ambient goodness. Ulver prove yet again how eclectic and multifaceted they can be musically.

10. Riverside – Rapid Eye Movement
Some of the freshest sounding and most listenable prog I’ve heard in a long, long time. Riverside never fail to impress me.

Jason Jordan a.k.a. circus_brimstone

This year was different because there was no release that bowled me over to the point that I knew I had to bestow my top spot to it. Still, like previous years, 2007 had its fair share of quality metal, and I find it interesting that my year-end list consists mainly of veterans – bands with several installments to their names, even. At the time of publication I had listened to 131 albums released in 2007, and of course considered them all for inclusion in this best-of list. One change this time, though. Instead of relying on European release dates as I have in the past, I switched to the North American schedule so that I could include the latest from Melechesh and Moonsorrow.

1. The Pax Cecilia – Blessed Are the Bonds
What can I say that hasn’t already been said in my review? The first four tracks of Blessed Are the Bonds are phenomenal, and quite emotionally moving. I don’t think the last half of the album lives up to the first, but it’s still excellent all-around. In addition, the fact the band gave this away for free shows they’re willing to do whatever it takes to get their music out there. This group needs a record deal.

2. Wolves in the Throne Room – Two Hunters
Diadem of 12 Stars is great – Wolves in the Throne Room sure capitalized on the Weakling comparison – but Two Hunters is, I feel, more raw, aggressive, and sinister than its predecessor. Thus far, they’ve done no wrong. I wanted a longer record, though.

3. Deathspell Omega – Fas – Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum
France’s hottest export – well, one of ‘em anyway – has delivered a monstrous, punishing album in the form of Fas – Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum. Describable as experimental, post-black metal, the latest from Deathspell Omega is dense and intense. It takes work to digest this, but it’s worth it in the end. Their best album? I’d say so….

4. The Ocean – Precambrian
The 84-minute, double disc Precambrian is easily this German collective’s finest effort yet. The Ocean’s ambition paid off here.

5. Benighted – Icon
Identisick was/is great, but Icon ups the ante with its blend of brutal death metal-cum-grindcore. Fast, aggressive, and relentless, France’s Benighted are certainly one of the most underappreciated, underrated bands of the 2000s.

6. Pig Destroyer – Phantom Limb
In my second Relapse roundup, I called Phantom Limb a “ferocious, eviscerating release” that is “delivered at breakneck speed.” And that sums up these lauded grinders from the nation’s capital. Like Watchmaker, this is one band that’s absolutely relentless.

7. Novembre – The Blue
Consistency. There are only a few bands that follow quality with quality time and time again, and Italy’s Novembre are certainly one of them. I was disappointed with Materia, though I like it, but The Blue is their best since 2001’s Novembrine Waltz.

8. Moonsorrow – V: Hävitetty
I regretted not hearing Verisäkeet before the end of 2005, so I knew I’d have to pick up V: Hävitetty as soon as I could. While the material is stellar, I think Moonsorrow shot themselves in the foot by making the two tracks incredibly lengthy, because, as a result, I hardly reach for this when I’ve a hankering for their brand of metal. It requires a significant chunk of time to fully appreciate.

9. Melechesh – Emissaries
Emissaries is another fantastic outing from Israel’s Melechesh. You had to lament the replacement of Proscriptor, but Xul performs admirably here. The Middle Eastern vibes remain a selling point, even if the replay value isn’t as high as I’d prefer.

10. Winds – Prominence and Demise
Andy Winter and co. return with Prominence and Demise – Winds’s heaviest, most compelling installment. The guest vocals from Dan Swanö (Edge of Sanity, Nightingale) are a special treat, in addition to those of Lars Nedland (Age of Silence, Borknagar, Solefald), along with the regular cast of characters who all prove talented beyond belief.

11. Amorphis – Silent Waters
12. Vintersorg – Solens Rötter
13. Novembers Doom – The Novella Reservoir
14. Vehementer Nos – Self-Titled
15. Alcest – Souvenirs d’un Autre Monde
16. Virgin Black – Requiem – Mezzo Forte
17. Odious Mortem – Cryptic Implosion
18. Evile – Enter the Grave
19. Oakhelm – Betwixt and Between
20. Mithras – Behind the Shadows Lie Madness
21. Dark Tranquillity – Fiction
22. Sickening Horror – When Landscapes Bled Backwards
23. Shining – V: Halmstad
24. Canvas Solaris – Cortical Tectonics
25. Sigh – Hangman’s Hymn

J.R. a.k.a. Wayward_Son

2007 had many faces. Having found, lost, and found again some classic material from previous years, it was difficult to find current music that could push those essentials from the playlist. Ultimately, some special albums emerged from the mediocrity, disappointments, and banality of the majority. Like the year itself, these albums have different faces and sounds. So, after a year of self-discovery built from triumph and tragedy, this humble servant gives you his 2007 defining releases.

1. Lunar Aurora – Andacht
In the review from April, it was stated “you will not find a more potent black metal release this year.” Those prophetic words rang true. No band, black metal or not, was able to surpass nor even equal Andacht. Lunar Aurora’s possible final album is as close as you will get to metallic perfection in the arcane black art.

2. Funeral – From These Wounds
Leaving behind the desolate land of funeral doom and joining the ranks of melodic death/doom metal, From These Wounds took everyone by surprise. As punishing as ever, yet with the smooth, soaring vocals of Frode Forsmo, Funeral took us to the brink, and left us there to our fate.

3. Amorphis – Silent Waters
No album made yours truly smile more than Silent Waters during the year. Just knowing that Amorphis can write songs like this after the mediocrity they unleashed for so many years is enough to make even the most jaded musical listener jump for joy. Faith reaffirming stuff.

4. Graveland – Will Stronger Than Death
This band is probably the best band you’ve never heard. It is amazing how many people write this band off for the most ludicrous of reasons. Will Stronger Than Death is hardly Darken’s strongest, yet it is still one of the year’s best. That is a testament to the strength of this metal institution.

5. Jesu – Conqueror
With no less than five releases in 2007, it would be safe to say Justin Broadrick owned the year. A crucial album expanding upon the Silver sound, Conqueror is certainly the most upbeat album to make this exclusive list.

6. Alcest – Souvenirs d’un autre monde
The backlash began before the album was even released. So it is not black metal. Accept it and move on. It is an album full of lush sound and a special innocence. Forget the fact that your mom will probably like the record.

7. Reverend Bizarre – III: So Long Suckers
Over two hours of material finish off Reverend Bizarre’s career in near perfect fashion. This is just one of those bands everyone should hear. After this album, traditional doom does not mean much, and perhaps the band is right, doom metal is dead.

8. Neurosis – Given to the Rising
Coming back to their bloody roots, Neurosis gave us an album that will be studied by future bands. Given to the Rising is nothing short of amazing, and is another worthy release from this entirely original and trailblazing band.

9. Keen of the Crow – Hyborea
Talk about coming out of left field. Out of Morgion’s ashes rises Keen of the Crow. Based entirely on the classic movie Conan the Barbarian, Keen of the Crow race through epic death/doom songs of battle, loss, and victory.

10. Novembers Doom – The Novella Reservoir
This is one of those re-discoveries. Having lost touch with the band years ago, The Novella Reservoir reignited interest. Since then, the entire discography has been found and is in constant rotation.

Nathan Pearce a.k.a. Nate The Great

1. Mayhem – Ordo Ad Chao
Despite a certain UM reviewer being drunk while listening to this, Mayhem has finally created something worthy of their legacy. Is it as good as De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas? Don't be stupid. But it's still better than pretty much everything their followers are pumping out.

2. Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum
In any other year, this would have been about as good as modern black metal can get.

3. Funeral – From These Wounds
This is just sad, depressing, and . . . well . . . beautiful. Probably the best melodic doom album in quite a few years.

4. Blut Aus Nord – Odinist – The Destruction of Reason By Illumination
What a year! It's nice to hear Blut Aus Nord write songs again. The result is easily one of their best.

5. Neurosis – Given To The Rising
It's getting so hard to judge a Neurosis album. Like their last few, this one is a grower.

6. Amorphis – Silent Waters
Probably the biggest surprise this year. I wasn't expecting something this good. Easily the best they've done in about 10 years.

7. Portal – Outre
What a sick piece of work! Death metal with the spirit of early 90's black metal.

8. Electric Wizard – Witchcult Today
Another huge surprise. I'd all but given up on EW. This album can be put alongside Dopethrone, and the like, without any embarrassment.

9. Dirge – Wings of Lead Over Dormant Seas
Remember when Old Man Gloom was a novelty? Dirge takes a similar approach, but with more seriousness.

10. Fall of the Leafe – Aerolithe
The most underrated band alive. The album's use of aggression mixed with their trademark melody makes for a top notch collection of songs from start to finish.

11. Jesu - Conqueror
12. Antimatter – Leaving Eden
13. Cobalt – Eater of Birds
14. Drudkh – Estrangement
15. Helcaraxe – Triumph And Revenge
16. Lunar Aurora – Andacht
17. Rotting Christ – Theogonia
18. Sigh – Hangman’s Hymn
19. Dillinger Escape Plan – Ire Works
20. Witchcraft – The Alchemist
21. Centurions Ghost – The Great Work
22. Ghost Brigade – Guided By Fire
23. The Great Deceiver – Life is Wasted on the Living
24. Today is the Day – Axis of Eden
25. Entombed – Serpent Saints

Honorable Mention:

Machine Head – The Blackening
Orthodox - Amancer En Puerta Oscura
Wijlen Wij – s/t
Xasthur – Defective Epitath
Shining – V: Halmstad
Paradise Lost – In Requiem
Moonsorrow - V: Hävitetty
Blood Tsunami – Thrash Metal

Couldn't get the links to paste with this one.

Russell Garwood

2007 was an incredibly busy year – there has been an awful lot of stuff out, and two or three hundred albums have passed through my hands. As ever, a lot of it was so appallingly bad that it was spoiling my brain, and made me feel both intellectually and physically violated (not in the good way). But amongst the trash, there were some very solid CDs. This is where the being swamped with work – both journalistic and otherwise – has kicked in, because there are relatively few of these good releases that I feel I’ve spent enough time with to justify a top – whatever – position in 2007. Hence I’ve only chosen ten releases, but there are quite a few CDs that undoubtedly deserve more of my time, and given more listens could be in the list.

1. Ulver – Shadows Of The Sun
Another album and another subtle transformation for Ulver. While the shape-shifting has been less explicit since Perdition City it’s still there, and Shadows Of The Sun sees the trio provide some low key, ambient, autumnal goodness. Another great release from the Norwegian lyncanthropes.

2. Cybercide - Adrenaline
Technically speaking a 2006 release, Adrenaline was so low key I only found it this year. With their debut, the UK’s Cybercide have created one of the best future pop / EBM releases I’ve found in recent years – anthemic, emotive, and above all, well written.

3. Devin Townsend – Ziltoid
I was treated to a puppet show for the London release party of this fine CD, and ever since I recoil in fear from the mighty Ziltoid. Great fun, great music, and an Alien with an insatiable desire for coffee. What more could you want?

4. Every Time I Die – The Big Dirty
ETID’s albums, while always good, never really clicked with me until I started blasting The Big Dirty this summer. In-your-face, rockin’ metalcore, with an acerbic sense of humour.

5. Thunderstorm – As We Die Alone
Classic (in every sense of the word) doom. Memorable song after memorable song, all with an epic tinge and excellent performances make this one of the most enjoyable doom releases this year for me. Excellent stuff.

6. Alcest - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde
This was my introduction to Alcest, so while I’ve missed out on the band’s black metal stuff, I’ve always been a fan of good shoegaze, and its great to see this French project flying the flag. Ethereal.

7. Hangman’s Chair – (A Lament For) The Addicts
Some more fantastic doom, this time from France. Hangman’s Chair is the kind of dirty metal that doesn’t feel right if it’s not heard in a dingy basement through a haze of smoke, while inebriated. And while I haven’t listened to in such a setting as yet, it’s still pretty damn good.

8. Murcof – Cosmos
Murcof (the work of Mexico’s Fernando Corona) plays the kind of disquieting, sparse, minimalist, stripped-back ambient I dearly wish I could find more of. Orchestral elements are cut-up, processed, manipulated, disembodied and combined with electronics to create bleak, dark soundscapes. I want more please.

9. Primordial - To The Nameless Dead
I must admit it’s an educated guess that this deserves to be on the list. Since its release a month back To The Nameless Dead has not had time to sink in properly, but I can’t help but feel Primordial have done it again.

10. Middian – Age Eternal
Age Eternal was vying with the two honourable mentions for this spot, but has a slight edge, as I have owned the release longer. A very solid doom debut, with a psychedelic edge and sludgey feel, continuing in the vein of YOB. The album suggests a very promising future indeed for Middian, but this is currently in severe jeopardy. Please help them if you can.

Honourable mentions:
Novembers Doom - The Novella Reservoir
Novembre - The Blue

Other releases which I haven’t had enough time to absorb, or haven’t heard, but may belong here:
65daysofstatic - The Destruction of Small Ideas
Anaal Nathrakh – Hell is Empty, and All the Devils are Here
Between The Buried And Me – Colors
Dark Tranquility – Fiction
Elend - A World in Their Screams
Farmakon – Robin
Funeral – From These Wounds
King Diamond - Give Me Your Soul... Please
Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
Shining – V: Halmstad
Sigh – Hangman’s Hymn
The Ocean – Precambrian
Throbbing Gristle – Part Two
Vintersorg – Solens Rötter
Voltaire – Ooky Spooky

Ryan Starr a.k.a. genocide roach

What an amazing year for metal. There were a lot of albums I was looking forward to, and very few disappointed. But there were still bands that came out of nowhere and surprised me. And that says more about this year than anything else. You expect certain bands to release great albums, but when a band you’ve never heard of sneaks up and knocks your socks off, that’s something special.

1 Turisas - The Varangian Way
Even though it got an official bad review on here, I love it and I love Turisas. Certainly they aren’t for everyone, but for my money it’s the best release of 2007.

2 Deathspell Omega – Fas -- Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum
A haunting work of genius. This isn’t a pleasant listen, but it’s an enlightening one. They’re simply in a different league. A cut above the rest.

3 Moonsorrow - V: Hävitetty
EPIC! Sure the songs are incredibly long, but it works. Scratch that, it doesn’t just work, it's PERFECT.

4 Immolation – Shadows of the Light
Wow! This one kind of took me by surprise. I’ve always been into Immolation, but I need to be in a certain mood for them. This is an album for all moods.

5 Ensiferum - Victory Songs
I don't know why I waited so long to get this. It's killer! Complements the new Turisas and Moonsorrow albums very well.

6 Widow – Nightlife
This one came out of nowhere, and I’m glad I picked it up. While I love the new 3 Inches of Blood, this is just a step above them. And that’s saying something, because 3 Inches of Blood are next on my list!

7 3 Inches of Blood – Fire Up the Blades
Awesome! An album for the ages. Sure, Widow has them beat on technicality, but this is a memorable release.

8 Sigh - Hangman's Hymn
Evil but playful.

9 Impaled – The Last Gasp
SICK!

10 Hardingrock – Grimen
Different, but in a good way. What a unique blend of styles.

Honorable mentions:
Vital Remains – Icons of Evil
Gorefest – Rise to Ruin
The County Medical Examiners – Olidous Operettas
Naglfar – Harvest
Cephalic Carnage – Xenosapien
Marduk - Rom 5:13

Melechesh is a summer '06 release.

Thunderstorm released an album this year? How did I miss that.

Seeing those lists doesn't make 2007 look very appealing really....lots of 'better-than-average' or '7/10' releases in those lists.

OK... OK... I'll listen to the new Deathspell Omega again. Sheesh.

Zod

Seeing those lists doesn't make 2007 look very appealing really.

Those were my thoughts while looking over those lists. I've not heard much this year but from what I have heard, there has certainly been some good stuff but nothing that really wowed me. I guess I need to relisten to some and I'll surely end up finding some 2007 gems down the road but for now....meh.

Are you guys serious? I have 34 albums I listened to this year and liked. Also, I have about 20 that I never got around to checking out...

I thought it was an amazing year.

1. The Pax Cecilia – Blessed Are the Bonds
What can I say that hasn’t already been said in my review? The first four tracks of Blessed Are the Bonds are phenomenal, and quite emotionally moving. I don’t think the last half of the album lives up to the first, but it’s still excellent all-around. In addition, the fact the band gave this away for free shows they’re willing to do whatever it takes to get their music out there. This group needs a record deal.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/reviews/302979-blood-tsunami-thrash-metal.html

u got me interested.

:zzz:

Are you guys serious? I have 34 albums I listened to this year and liked. Also, I have about 20 that I never got around to checking out...

I thought it was an amazing year.

I'm actually looking forward to the RC top whatever lists because I need to see what I missed throughout the year.

I can probably come up with 10 releases no problem, but aside from possibly 2 of them, not one would score higher than an 8/10.

A good year is when your entire top 10 list is made up of 9/10 type albums [recognizing that only approx. 30 albums ever have attained 10/10 status]

EDIT: judging from recent years, where is this year's August Engine, Mabool, Watching from a Distance, Autumn Aurora, Verisakeet, Panopticon etc?

EDIT: judging from recent years, where is this year's August Engine, Mabool, Watching from a Distance, Autumn Aurora, Verisakeet, Panopticon etc?

dsocover450.jpg

i thought it was a pretty damn good year, although i'm just now getting around to some of it

Was the DsO their best release yet? I'll probably come to appreciate it in about 4 years. It's waaay too 'complex' for my lazy ears.

See I'm hoping for a surprise. I've yet to hear anything that takes me by surprise with any significant wow factor.

Primordial is excellent BUT it's every bit as good as I was expecting. Not more not less.
Morrigan is great, BUT they've done better.
In Vain is fantastic, BUT it's a hodge podge montage of all things Arcturus, Borknagar, and Disillusion.
Darkestrah is phenomenal, and it succeeds where Drudkh tend to fail, BUT it is Drudkh/Hate Forest-like worship.
October Falls is great, BUT it's a nice little tribute to all things Bergtatt.

See all this is great stuff, worth buying, keeping.....but I'm still looking for a 10/10 release. Each year produces that one golden nugget and I'm not sure if I've heard any real magic yet.

See all this is great stuff, worth buying, keeping.....but I'm still looking for a 10/10 release. Each year produces that one golden nugget and I'm not sure if I've heard any real magic yet.
I'm not sure the quality of a given year should be based on whether or not a 10/10 disc was produced in that year. I'm happy with any year that produces a solid amount of 8/10s and 9/10s.

Zod