What headphones are good for metal guitars?

electricred

Jan 2, 2012
I need some noise-cancelling headphones to monitor changes in mic position when reamping. I record at relatively low volumes, not too much about a loud room conversation with a 50w amplifier. I have some Sony MDR7506 and have used a couple random cheap headphones that all sound horribly nasal, to the point that they are unusable for checking high-gain guitars. I'm on a budget, around 150, maybe as high as 200 if they are really nice, but since these are only for checking mic positioning and not mixing, I'm wanting to spend as little as possible. What's out there?

I have a refurbished pair of ATM-M40fs that I got off ebay relatively cheap and am pretty happy with them.

I use the Direct Sound Extreme Isolation EX-25. I think they work great, and they isolate well. At least for distorted guitar recording, what I hear in the set usually translates very well to different systems also. The stock headbands tend to break easily, but they have an upgrade headband on the website for cheap and that's never given me problems.

I use the Direct Sound Extreme Isolation EX-25. I think they work great, and they isolate well. At least for distorted guitar recording, what I hear in the set usually translates very well to different systems also. The stock headbands tend to break easily, but they have an upgrade headband on the website for cheap and that's never given me problems.
These are a good price and I like that it's not a coiled cord, because the cord on my Sonys is irritating. I can't seem to find the headband upgrade on the website though. The EX-29 isn't much more expensive either, and compact size isn't important if they get the sound I need, so I'll look around for reviews/comparisons on them. Thanks!

I like that it's not a coiled cord, because the cord on my Sonys is irritating.

Pretty sure I used to have those Sonys and why in the HECK anyone would use coiled cord on headphones is beyond me.....same with phone chargers. "Lets make the cord pretty long, then restrict the user by having it coiled up."

I really can't add much here, except I bought a cheap pair of $60 Shure headphones just for drum tracking purposes/sending the click to drummer. For mixing, I can't stand them...but then again, I haven't had much to compare to. They are thin and harsh sounding with no low end. But.....something with those characteristics may actually be ok for an application like checking sweet spots in reamping. Though I'm sure the other posts above blow away the Shures.

Yeah, I was thinking some cheaper headphones that are meant to sound "good" rather the accurate might be better for this purpose. The cheaper I can get some headphones the better, because there's plenty of more important equipment I could put putting money into.

I have ATH-M50's and HD280's

M50 - too much bass
280 - no bass

I also have 1st gen Extreme Isolation headphones as well. They definitely help cut out the ambient sound. I give them to drummers and turn the click up real loud to reduce fuck-ups.

/thread

marshall-headphones-xl.jpg

Can't think of the model number, but audio technica have a pair of noise cancelling headphones that have a small mic built in which captures the sound outside them, and then it phase reverses it so you can't hear the outside noise. Don't know how well it'll work with a loud guitar amp, but it may be worth a shot

Edit: Actually this might be a bad idea seeing as you'll be hearing this same guitar amp inside the headphones as well as outside

Can't think of the model number, but audio technica have a pair of noise cancelling headphones that have a small mic built in which captures the sound outside them, and then it phase reverses it so you can't hear the outside noise. Don't know how well it'll work with a loud guitar amp, but it may be worth a shot

Edit: Actually this might be a bad idea seeing as you'll be hearing this same guitar amp inside the headphones as well as outside
Yeah, that wouldn't be what I need, but those headphones sound very cool. I wonder what the purpose of them are, or why someone would choose them over open backs?