What mic to get for my interface?

Well, I got the sm58 finally. And input level is indeed low. I have to add a compressor and stuff in the chain to get a reasonable level or daisy-chain it (preamp 1 > line out > preamp 2 > out). Both of this methods add noise so I have to use noise gates and shit. I will try it for some days and if I can't get a reasonable level I will sell it and get a high-output microphone. If so, which should I get for vocals? AT2020?

I was also thinking on moving to another interface. I've had nothing but problems since I got my firebox. First I had dropoups. After trying thousands of things with drivers and firmware they are now gone (at least for now). Now I am facing it's shitt preamps. If I was to move to another interface, what should I get? I am only planning on recording guitars, bass and vocals, so I don't need a lot of inputs. I just want something stable, with good preamps and that doesn't cost a lot

The 58 isn't that quiet. I honestly think your issue is elsewhere. I certainly wouldn't buy a different mic if you can't get the 58 loud enough.
You are using the XLR in and not an XLR -->1/4" or something right? What are the peaks at in (in dB) your DAW?

The 58 isn't that quiet. I honestly think your issue is elsewhere. I certainly wouldn't buy a different mic if you can't get the 58 loud enough.
You are using the XLR in and not an XLR -->1/4" or something right? What are the peaks at in (in dB) your DAW?
I am using a male-to-female XLR cable. It's the shitty preamps of my interface, not the mic, for sure. Peaks without compressor are so low I almost can't hear what I recorded. I'll record some words tomorrow to show it to you

I am using a male-to-female XLR cable. It's the shitty preamps of my interface, not the mic, for sure. Peaks without compressor are so low I almost can't hear what I recorded. I'll record some words tomorrow to show it to you
Hey Dexter, have you tried the +12dB boost in the hardware settings (via software)? Really though the firebox has 45dB of gain which isn't a ton but it should be enough. Then again, you are looking at it and I'm not.
If it is in fact an interface issue I would definitely replace that rather than the mic.

he said he has an xlr to trs cable, leading me to believe he is going into the instrument input which explains the low signal.

get an xlr to xlr cable, and you will be golden bra.
No, I said I have a XLR male-to-female cable, that is: XLR (male) to XLR (female)
Hey Dexter, have you tried the +12dB boost in the hardware settings (via software)? Really though the firebox has 45dB of gain which isn't a ton but it should be enough. Then again, you are looking at it and I'm not.
If it is in fact an interface issue I would definitely replace that rather than the mic.
Yeah, I tried it. It does boost but it adds shitloads of noise. I think it works as a software boost, maybe a limiter or something like that :/
If I was to move from the Firebox (which I will do sometime because I am not pleased at all with it), what should I get?

No, I said I have a XLR male-to-female cable, that is: XLR (male) to XLR (female)

Yeah, I tried it. It does boost but it adds shitloads of noise. I think it works as a software boost, maybe a limiter or something like that :/
If I was to move from the Firebox (which I will do sometime because I am not pleased at all with it), what should I get?

Profire 2626 or Fireface 400

I had already read that thread, but it's just info (useful info, of course) and no examples of what to get. I also considered getting a preamp, but I read a thread here in which people said that good preamps are really expensive and cheaper preamps are just not worth it. Is that really it?

Better to get a good mic (or a couple of good mics) than a good preamp IMO! (or rather, a good preamp will be wasted on a bad mic) But if you do want a preamp, then give this a read! ;)

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/508810-i-need-preamp-vocals-guitars-options-inside.html
But if my interface's preamps suck, getting good mics wouldn't be a waste of money? I just checked that thread and I don't think I will be able to get one of those any time soon, they are too expensive. Is something like the Presonus TubePre useful? Or is it a piece of shit? Maybe something that can work as a mic and guitar preamp... I might be able to get something as expensive as 175-200usd for a preamp. Or maybe I should sell my Firebox and add those 200usd to get a better interface?

Better to get a good mic (or a couple of good mics) than a good preamp IMO! (or rather, a good preamp will be wasted on a bad mic) But if you do want a preamp, then give this a read! ;)

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/508810-i-need-preamp-vocals-guitars-options-inside.html

Hey Marcus, the reason why I'm pushing him towards a new interface is that if the firebox is truly unusable with an SM58 (which is what he is describing) then it is going to be horrible with any mic. TO be clear though, assuming his description are correct then I would definitely ditch the whole interface and not just run something nicer into it.

Oh yeah, I totally agree dude, tbh I hadn't read most of the thread :D However, I also find it hard to believe the Firebox is at fault!

Hmm those 2 interfaces are too expensive. Anything closer to the firebox's price?

None that will be any real improvement over the Firebox. Anything else will be either a tiny increase in quality that isn't really worth the hassle of getting a new interface, or a sidestep in quality with a few cheap toys to play with.

A used Profire 2626 can be found for around $400-500 used, which is a killer deal for 8 good preamps and good converters.