What if we could influence the market according to e.g. CD prices?

abyssofdreams

knows what you think.
Sep 30, 2002
Germany
www.abyssofdreams.com
How much would you pay for it? And also, do you think that a petition (for example against too high cd prices) or something similar to it could influence any label and general marketing policies?

Afaik, for each CD sale there is (of course, depending on the contract the band has and/or which public status the band enjoys) a very low percentage of the income that ends up at the bands pockets, so what if we could like change the prices and suggest a new scheme for them?

So if CD prices would be lower there would definately be more sales on each item and therefore there wouldn't be any loss within the participating instances...for example, if a new CD would only cost like $7 and one third of the income would go directly to the band (which would be far more than what it is now) and the rest for the label and so on, wouldn't it be a better situation for all of us?

abyssofdreams said:
How much would you pay for it? And also, do you think that a petition (for example against too high cd prices) or something similar to it could influence any label and general marketing policies?

Afaik, for each CD sale there is (of course, depending on the contract the band has and/or which public status the band enjoys) a very low percentage of the income that ends up at the bands pockets, so what if we could like change the prices and suggest a new scheme for them?

So if CD prices would be lower there would definately be more sales on each item and therefore there wouldn't be any loss within the participating instances...for example, if a new CD would only cost like $7 and one third of the income would go directly to the band (which would be far more than what it is now) and the rest for the label and so on, wouldn't it be a better situation for all of us?

You'd think a small label would help their sales lots by selling CDs for $7 retail, right?

Think... why do no labels do this?

Are they ALL moneygrubbing fucks?

Or are CDs expensive to manufacture and albums difficult to break even on?

Small labels who print CDs in batches of 1000 can pay up to $3 each in manufacturing costs alone PER CD if the packaging is decent (booklet, etc).

$7 is more like the wholesale prices small labels charge...

Most of the CD price accounts for distribution, you will find that 25% of the price is required to pay for the delivery to the retailer, then the retailer takes another 35% chunk out of it for profit, the labels only make 4% on each CD sale, its the retailers who are the moneygrabbing slimes.

LiB said:
Most of the CD price accounts for distribution, you will find that 25% of the price is required to pay for the delivery to the retailer, then the retailer takes another 35% chunk out of it for profit, the labels only make 4% on each CD sale, its the retailers who are the moneygrabbing slimes.

Some of the labels send me combined press/retailer-sales sheets with promos...

Usually, it's $11.98 wholesale price (presumably AFTER the distributor gets hold of it) targeted for a $17.98 suggested retail price... so your figures seem to be right on the mark (although I think you meant 40%, not 4%...)

The only thing ill say, is that i wish cd prices had some sort of correlation to the quality of work, or effort involved in the work. Not a straight "if you make at least 40 minutes of any noise, then give it this price" kind of thing.

*dreams*

cds...hmm well thats intresting, i think they would be the same price for any cd and for any band..and fuck those oh so expensive 3 track "rare" singles that are only printed in japan

I support Yayo on this one
But I kind of dislike those cds that are 30 minute long and tho they are good they are the same price as a 70 minute one

YaYo said:
The only thing ill say, is that i wish cd prices had some sort of correlation to the quality of work, or effort involved in the work. Not a straight "if you make at least 40 minutes of any noise, then give it this price" kind of thing.
*dreams*

This would create a situation where a band and label has to openly admit that they're releasing less-than-masterpiece items, which is stupid to ask THEM to admit.

And I think after about 45 minutes, each additional minute of music makes a CD *less* valuable. It's just too much.

Jim LotFP said:
This would create a situation where a band and label has to openly admit that they're releasing less-than-masterpiece items, which is stupid to ask THEM to admit.

And I think after about 45 minutes, each additional minute of music makes a CD *less* valuable. It's just too much.
Completely and utterly depends on the style. 40 minutes is perfect length for some albums, while 60 is perfect for others, even shorter for some faster paced albums.

Of course your taste may be for shorter albums,but not mine :p

Anyway, the point. People pay full price nowadays because thats the norm. If it became normal to pay a different price depending on the quality of a product, then people would complain when a shitty product was sold for a unjustifiably large price. There are problems with the current system, there would be problems with the system i suggest.. but i think with time it would be better.

To add to it. i think it increases the artistic freedom of an artist, if a 'complete' album is only 20 minutes then so be it. If you just wanna have fun and release some cover songs or a live album, then so be it, the effort is less so drop the price.

No way it would be a perfect system, the popular artists would charge full price every time no matter what (since it would be a label decision, and why would they decide to make less money?). I dont know whether it realyl (grr) would work or not.