What improvements need to be done with PCs?

xenophobe

May 17, 2002
SF Bay Area
Personally, I'm still amazed that 3.5" floppy disks still only currently write 1.44mb... there used to be a program that would double the tracks and reading on them to get 2.88, but nothing has made any jump in standards.... Sure there are different formats of storage, CDR and USB drives (like my keychain that holds 256mb)...

But computers still ship with the 3.5" floppy who's last upgrade (from 720 to 1.44 was over a decade ago).

Is there anything that bugs you?

yeah the floppy thing really sucks. i dont even have a floppy drive installed, its somewhere in a closet or something. but it seems i absolutely HAVE to use floppy's for BIOS upgrades :loco:

other stuff that bothers me: i'll come back when i can think of something..

thumbdrive1.gif
USB Drive.

I like ZIP drives, but the media is still rather expensive, especially compared to CD-Rs.

One thing that really bothers me about PCs is that sound seems so incompatible. No matter what PC I use it seems that I always run into certain sound issues, like certain files just won't work or a headphone jack never works as it should, or some other crap.

I've never used the floppy drive in this machine since I got it about 6 months ago, but it's there just in case. (I can flash my BIOS from Windows :))

CD-RW is far too slow, but I think USB media is definitely the way forward - when your middle aged, female English teacher has one, you know it's widely used :p

I would like to have operating systems load up faster.

ahh i got one..... video problems and codecs, etc.... it seems like 9 out of 10 movies or DVD rips I download I can never get to work.... no matter how many codecs and new players I try.... that is so frustrating, waiting all that time for a movie to download and i can't fucking play it....

so those USB stick things basically just plug into a USB port and you can transfer data to them? How do you transfer the data? They sound pretty handy.

SunlapseVertigo said:
ahh i got one..... video problems and codecs, etc.... it seems like 9 out of 10 movies or DVD rips I download I can never get to work.... no matter how many codecs and new players I try.... that is so frustrating, waiting all that time for a movie to download and i can't fucking play it....
The only real way to do this is to uninstall EVERY codec you have... when this happens, from what I understand, you have several codecs that can actually decode but they conflict. Either that, or format and reinstall.

I had this problem on my last XP Pro installation, which overwrote a W2K Pro setup...

I see the main restriction of USB keys that you can't just give it to someone else like you can a floppy. If someone needs a file you can give them a floppy but not your USB key... until they are battery powered and have a port on them too so they can be broken by teenagers making obscene motions with them instead of actually transferring data (the idea of the mini data transfer isn't feasable anyway)

NAD said:
One thing that really bothers me about PCs is that sound seems so incompatible. No matter what PC I use it seems that I always run into certain sound issues, like certain files just won't work or a headphone jack never works as it should, or some other crap.
Good call, I just installed Linux Redhat and it hates my soundcard..... Very annoying! :yell:

Hmm... I generally never had sound issues... At one time I was running two soundcards in the same system... a SB16 and a Ensoniq Soundscape Elitie w/daughterboard. Ran just fine :loco:

I think I've been rather lucky with PCs, in all the years I've been using them I don't think I've had a serious problem, except trying to install my USB ADSL modem under Linux :)