what is a good hi gain bedroom combo amp?

Incognito Man

Jan 27, 2009
looking for a small (1X10) combo practice amp that has good sound for $100-200 usd.

so far the only thing i have found is the dean dime 20w blacktooth.

any other options?

solid state is fine.

Vypyr on the cheap. They sound pretty tits for the price. Even the 15 watt sounds pretty nice considering it has an 8" speaker.

I vote for the peavey as well.
I remember one time I helped my friend pick out a guitar and amp for his nephew at guitar center and when we compared the sound between the line 6 and peavey I was amazed that even my non musician friend could tell how much better than peavey sounded.

went to gc and played them all. got a dime blacktooth on clearence. sounds great and sounds even better through a 4X12.

thanks guys.

I hate my vypyr 30 and wish I never sold my cube 30, put it that way.

I just use X50 or 8505 now.

the orange sounded good too but it was more $.

this dime sounds great with a boss hm-2 into a palmer pdi-03. dark recolections city over here!

update for anyone in the same boat reading this thread.

after playing with the dime at home for a week i decided to return it and go back to the drawing board and now i have ended up with a roland cube 60 and i must say this thing sounds really good for hi gain tones and has a nice full sound and it will power a 4X12. anyone in the market should check one of these out!

VHT Special 6 with a TS/DS pedal in front (Combo or 2x12 cab)

Blackstar HT-1 through a 2x12 cab

If you have bit more cash get a H&K Tubemeister 18 and a 2x12.

Fuck da police, and the roland cube.

Love my Cube 30, been my steadfast companion since '07 even as everything else I had then has since gotten cycled out at one point or another - never really messed with the Vypyr's that much, though they always seemed kinda digital to me, in a Line 6 kinda way - I always loved how much my Cube sounds and responds like an SS amp, even though it's all modeled.

Glad you're liking it too dude! (bet the 60 watt is even better)

I own a Vypyr 30.

Personally, I hate it. I think it's way too bright/harsh/scratchy-sounding (even with the treble all the way down) on pretty much any high-gain setting. :/

Don't recommend it.