What is a Power conditioner?

Guitardude98

New Metal Member
Jan 25, 2012
Hey guys! A total newbie question. Ive heard people using power conditioners for their Axe-Fx and POD HD Pro and Eleven Rack. What is this power conditioner ,so to speak of? Thanks. :)

The term gets used pretty generally. In it's lowest form it's just a surge protector. Better ones offer some filtering to prevent noise from entering the system. Some (but very few) offer voltage regulation which will float voltage to prevent your gear from seeing sags or spikes.

A good power conditioner will not only keep the voltage constant, but will also give you a nice, clean sine wave - just 50/60hz free of any additional frequency dirt.
This will take care of random clicks that sometimes appear in your recordings when a thunderstorm comes or when some heavy electrical equipment gets turned on and off in your neighborhood and also will remove any alien frequencies that could creep in from the grid to make your noise floor smooth which is very important for recording DI guitar signal meant to be heavily amplified.

I see lots of dudes using them live. Does anyone use them in there studio? Also, what is considered a good one? Like the difference between a $300 one and a $100 one? Or is it like the difference between a $100 one and a $2000 one?

I see lots of dudes using them live. Does anyone use them in there studio? Also, what is considered a good one? Like the difference between a $300 one and a $100 one? Or is it like the difference between a $100 one and a $2000 one?

at a lot of studios you seen one at the top of every one of their racks.. these are the ones I like.. Furman PL8C. I use them in my home studio and at the radio station I work for, studios A and B. Cleans power up quite nicely.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PL8C

The $100 one is probably a surge protector with a 15amp circuit breaker and a resistor across the ground to eliminate noise.

The variations from $100-300 normally add more complex filtering as well as voltage/amperage monitoring (but not regulation) and lights. Sometimes you'll see 20amp models. I think there are a few voltage regulators that pop into this price range but not many.

Beyond that you get into true voltage regulation, UPS's and filtering which goes further to provides pure sine waves. I won't pretend that I know what all goes into that but needless to say you can spend as much as you want in pursuit of clean power.

but needless to say you can spend as much as you want in pursuit of clean power.

Culminating in this (and that's actually the cheapest of 3 in the range)

PS Audio's Power Plant P3 AC regenerator takes the power you're given from the utility, converts it to DC, and then with patented PS Audio technology, regenerates and amplifies new sine-wave-perfect, high current AC power. New high current, ultra low distortion AC power created by Power Plant technology delivers stunning performance from your audio and video components.

:worship: Wonder if lolzgreg still has his...

I own a Furman PL-8 Series II (I think thats the one) and have no complaints.

Really want to sell it off and get at least one with a digital voltage read-out or LEDs indicating good bad voltage.

I use a Furman PL Plus (it's the one with the glowing LEDS so you can see them on stage) in my home studio and with my recording equipment.

I highly suggest turning on your equipment after turning on the power conditioner and allowing it a little time to stabilize. I know people that have had major issues with their equipment by allowing the power conditioner to act as an on/off control for all their equipment.

I use a Furman PL Plus (it's the one with the glowing LEDS so you can see them on stage) in my home studio and with my recording equipment.

I highly suggest turning on your equipment after turning on the power conditioner and allowing it a little time to stabilize. I know people that have had major issues with their equipment by allowing the power conditioner to act as an on/off control for all their equipment.

Hmmm I had wondered about this!

I manually turn on/off my tube amp every time, but I do let the power conditioner act as on/off for my tuner in my rack. I have a sonic maximizer and 31-band eq in there that I never use so those are always turned off.

I have a monster pro 2500 for my studio and a basic rocktron conditioner for my guitar rig. The cool thing about the rocktron unit is it has dc style inputs so if you get the right cable you get rid of bulky transformers from your rack units.

Just for the record, the PL plus doesn't regulate voltage. The reason to turn on gear separately (or use a power sequencer) is to avoid a current rush.