What is wrong with Yngwie Malmsteen?

Bryant said:
No offense (this is not a post to dog you) but "music theory" is simply that.... it is a theory. Many great guitarists are very advanced at theory and many don't know how to play a Cmaj chord, but have learned by ear and trial and error how to play well.
David Gilmour is far from a technical genius, but his name comes up in this and countless other musician forums quite often. I for one appreciate guitarists that envelope themselves in study and learn theory and how to apply it, but.................... I like guitarists that sound good. Being technically proficient and being versed in multiple scales and music theory is only a part of being a guitarist that is a great player.

Bryant

Theory is really much more than learning scales and things......

First of all, I'm not really interested in guitarists.....I'm interested in musicians. My favorite people that play guitar write excellent music, they don't just play guitar. I have come to think that theory is important in writing music. First of all as a means to communicate, since it's one of the main systems of writing and understanding music. Secondly, because it expands what you can do. Maybe some bands that don't know theory just don't go to the point where they won't be able to just "screw around and figure out what sounds good." Things like what Jason Becker does on 'Perspective,' with multi-voice writing and the writing for orchestra. You just can't fake that.

That's why, end the end, I like 'BE' better than 'The Human Equation,' to use two recent examples. The Human Equation has some great stuff, but it just doesn't stand out as a whole musical work.....there's not really a general musical idea, it's just songs. And the work is very minimalistic: because Arjen doesn't know any theory, so there are lots of layered synthesizers and sound that is basically the same stuff. On the other hand, 'BE' has more musical continuity, it sticks together. Also, I think the classical instruments are used more to their full potential.....due to knowing really how to use them.

So basically this seems to be a major difference between a "guitarist" and a "musician."

coolsnow7 said:
@whoever mentioned Russel Allen being better than Romeo: that's extremely silly, while having a "good voice" is totally subjective, there's no denying someone who's a crazy guitar player, namely Romeo. If he wrote more to Allen's strength, well that would be kinda dumb. The vocalist's point in that band is really to describe the epic storyline rather than have everyone else back him while he wails his head off (I love Russel Allen too).

Bryant wasn't saying Romeo wasn't a great guitar player, he said that he felt that Russell Allen would shine more as a vocalist if Romeo took a different writing style. "Dawn Of A Million Souls" is basically Allen's perfect vocal style, and it would be beneficial for Allen if they didn't move in the more aggressive direction they went to on parts of 'The Odyssey.'

And I disagree completely with your opinion that a vocalists job is just to illustrate the story. The voice is and instrument, and it should be used as an instrument. Pain Of Salvation is an excellent example of this happening.

Well....Allen will have the opportunity to do what he wants, whatever that may be, on his solo album coming out soon.

Barking Pumpkin said:
Theory is really much more than learning scales and things......

First of all, I'm not really interested in guitarists.....I'm interested in musicians. My favorite people that play guitar write excellent music, they don't just play guitar.

-- snipped but read --

That is a great statement BK and though we may have disagreed on some things, I couldn't agree with you more on this subject matter. I do think Yngwie offered some great music and songwriting on his first three releases and then went into "rehash mode." Yngwie is a guitar God as far as his speed, technicality and such, but he would be better off to have some help writing "songs." I am a big fan of Tad Morose and Vanden Plas and both bands feature very talented guitarists, but not guitarists often looked at as elite soloists. Though the two bands are very different, the three guitaists all are great riffsters, write great "songs" and have monster tones as well. I respect the "elite" players that can amaze me from a purely technical standpoint, but I wouldn't be a musician in the first place if I weren't a music fan and despite leaning more toward guitar than anything else, I appreciate every instrument and a band that plays well as a unit and to each others strengths.

Bryant

Barking Pumpkin said:
Well....Allen will have the opportunity to do what he wants, whatever that may be, on his solo album coming out soon.

Yes I will be very interested in hearing that. Allen is an extremely expressive vocalist, and thank you for pointing out I wasn't "dogging" Romeo in the least. The last thing I would want him to do would become some "three chord" player to make his "singer" sound good. It is just my opinion, that he could write just slightly different to more of Allen's strength.

Bryant

coolsnow7 said:
@whoever said Yngwie's got good compositional skills: you are plainly retarded. Get out and listen to something that is even mildly synchopated, and has a bit more than 3 melodies.

CS7, I am not trying to bash you, but music is subjective. I don't care for radio rock, but I have everything The Goo Goo Dolls have ever released. Why ? Simply because I like them. I think Rezeznik (singer/vocalist) is a genius. I am sure few here appreciate them, but I do. Some may say I am "retarded" for enjoying their music, but if we all enjoyed the same music, there wouldn't be much diversity in music.
The point I am trying to make (sorry as I know I am too long-winded) is that handing out insults is unnecessary to make a point. This is not "my" forum, nor am I a moderator here, but most here don't sink to the level of that. I can tell by your post you are an intelligent person, so you of all people shouldn't feel the need to do such things.
Some people may indeed think Yngwie is a good songwriter/composer and in fact I think he was on his first three releases as well. It is opinion, not retardation. I am not trying to come down on you nor start a flame war. I simply wish you would be more selective in the way you express your opinion.

Bryant

I finally listened to a song from Yngwie's 'Concerto Suite.' Just one......but my judgement is that it sounds like "Yngwie Malmsteen shredding........oh, and there's an orchestra too." Not what orchestra used with guitar should be. Two good examples are Jason Becker - End Of The Beginning, and Steve Vai - Lotus Feet. And it doesn't really sound to me like he does anything very complex or worthwhile with the orchestra either....so, that was kind of a let down.

He never did play guitar and will never be able to play guitar. It's just noise and memorized scales. He's not even fast by the newest standard. If you are impressed by speed, look up "world's fastest guitar player Daniel Himebauch" on Youtube at 1300 beats per minute. Then listen to the melodies and real creativity of Wes Montgomery.

He never did play guitar and will never be able to play guitar. It's just noise and memorized scales. He's not even fast by the newest standard. If you are impressed by speed, look up "world's fastest guitar player Daniel Himebauch" on Youtube at 1300 beats per minute. Then listen to the melodies and real creativity of Wes Montgomery.

Thanks for those links. Interesting discussion. I have never bought a Malmsteen album so can't comment but am beginning to get into instrumental/classical type guitar.

He's a great guitarist but not a great songwriter. Most of his stuff just gets boring once you get passed all the lead work. The only album I have of his is "Marching Out" and it's probably gonna stay that way. It's as good as Yngwie gets.

Hi everyone, I've been reading your posts for a long time, but now I've decided to register. Here is what I wanna talk about :
For a couple of month, I've been hearing more and more people saying that Yngwie Malmsteen sucks. In my point of view, Malsteen isn't playing original, wierd stuff such as Satriani or Vai, but he is definitely awesome! I understand that some people dislike his style (fast music scales and classical music), but those who tell that is not good are far from being able to play like him (actually, I am one of those who try to play like him).

Anyway, I just wanted to have the opinion of other musician on Yngwie Malmsteen's style.

:headbang:

You say Malmsteens playing is not original!?!?!? Much more so than Vai and Satriani combined.

Also, the impact Yngwie has had over a whole generation of guitar players can hardly be ignored.

What he plays nowdays is nowwere near the quality he did back in the early years though.