What is your opinion on the following?

It is despicable, unfortunatly it is the norm in a lot of indie publication. At least the ones I have been in contact with.

I was once asked to review a record favorably because they had bought a song on the free CD that came with the mag.... let's just say my review wasn't featured in the mag...

be polite. look at it from the other way--let's say you're a magazine who genuinely wants to have reviews. you send an email to the band. you also mention that you're selling ads. and, truthfully, if the band buys an ad, is it so wrong to make sure out of the 50 reviews you have, that band's is one of the 15 you can print that month?

i'm not defending this guy in particular--i think the method he used smacks of hint-hint bribery. but the truth is somewhere in between those two poles, so be chill about it.

I've made it a personal rule to never deal with anyone that isn't upfront with their pricing.

eh that magazine is "MEH". anyway, in my experience of working on and having a few magazines, you just don't go saying things like that. it's just not okay. you know? if they were good, they would just get their ads filled and not have a conditional bs thing like that, and they could advertise for their ad-space without having to reach out in such an unnerving way.

frankly, if i were you (and of course i'm not) i'd just answer 'hey no thanks but thanks'.

I think you should email them being disgusted and send them every point made in this thread and comment about them promoting at a junk convention which is deception and bad for music, and their magazine being corruption of your name :heh:

Tell 'em that for you it's not about anything but the music, as it should be for them. Say that if they feel passionately enough about the music you've made, they should do a piece on it, if not, too bad.

I think you should say something pompous, as it's funnier. Something to the effect of "I'm in Kayo Dot! We don't need this shit. I once did two girls at once!" That's just off the top of my head, so I'm sure it could be much better.