What made you stick with fingers?

D

DeadlyHeadbanger

Hey man, i was just wondering if there was any reason why you didnt abandon fingerstyle;) Also, what do you think about picks, ever use one when you feel that it gives the sound you want?

I am not opposed to using anything, right hand or left hand or fingers or pick or instrument or effects or amps or direct boxes or eq or studio magic, anything to get a desired or yet-unimagined sound. Plectrum - pizzicato...? What ever is best for the player and gets the sound they are happy with.

As a kid, I started with fingers. Then getting into speed metal, I switched to pick. Couldn't keep up with the blurry wrists of Sadus guitarists, switched back to fingers. First or second demo of Sadus, realised in the studio that I still couldn't really keep up with their picking using fingers on bass. Beat myself about the head and neck area until I perfected speed with right hand. Recorded first Sadus album and smoked all my parts with flawless right hand speed technique (yeah right!). Stayed the course for many years perfecting right hand pizzicato style. Eventually realized that it had been a really long time since I tried pick. Now I bust out a pick every now and then for a desired effect on certain songs.

Use what ever gives you ultimate dexterity. Use what ever makes the right sound for you. Don't in fact copy the players who suck...please be imaginative, innovative and ever-so interesting. It's up to us to smash the standard of shit bass players - especially in metal. Crush the norm...get some balls...rise above and do something with intestinal fortitude that grabs people by the scrotum and sets a new standard in motion.

It's not OK to suck.
SDG

the only thing wrong in metal is the poor technique of a lot of bass players.
I got a Black/folk band playing the fretless bass (my favourite instrument and the best I play) and guitars (distorted and clean). but I try to do interesting basslines (not only 21313132132321455143 notes per second) that makes shine the bass.

I don't like picks to play cause the pick limitates the things you may play. if you want to play a two-hand tapping with the pick you can't. If any practices, is possible to play so fast like a pick, even so much faster.

I play fretless bass since 5 years ago, and the SDG'S control denied job surprised me, amazing basslines in brutal songs... The SDG's work more amazing to me was the 2 albums recorded with Vintersorg. Fretless bass kicking ass in a black/folk band!!!!!

today i'm still admiring that work, that has been an inspiration for me to take the bass to other dimension.

thanx