What metal ubergroup had the best return to their roots- Metallica or Megadeth?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Which album was better, The World Needs a Hero- or St. Anger?
One thing that is clear, neither band can write decent lyrics anymore- some kind of monster- and 1000 times goodbye are excellent examples.

My Personal opinion is that Megadeth's return was better- it might not be a good album- or innovative in any degree- but I can at least listen to it, and somewhat enjoy it. Whereas St. Anger sounds like a trainwreck to me, full of long highly repetitive and uninteresting songs, no solos, or examplery musicianmanship, and poor production.

I've always been a Megadeth fan, but I have to say, their last album (for a reason) was garbage. You mean to tell me St. Anger is worse then TWNAH? No. Mother. Fucking. Way. No way. That album was absolute tripe the entire way through, and I am a huge Megadeth fan. The only song worth the time was one that was only 1:26 seconds long, Silent Scorn! Everything else was disgusting.

Everyone is way to hard on St. Anger, probably because the majority of people who complain about it actually have not listened to it. The production is so far from as horrible as everyone says. Do you honestly believe this wasn't done on purpose? Metallica are the most retentive metal band, there is no way they would let something sound a certain way without making the decision to do so. If you are a Metallica fan, its a great album, if you are not, you won't like it. Its that simple. But to say TWNAH is a good album is just ludicrous.

Megadeth for sure - TWNAH wasn't their best album, but it wasn't bad either. At least there were solos on it and a decent drum sound, which is more than I can say for St Anger.

Metallica are always about moving forward, so therefore the two albums can't be compared on a 'returning to the roots' viewpoint.

I think it is kinda of ironic that Metallica followed Megadeth this time- in releasing the return to speed thrash roots cd. Yet, even more ironic is the fact that Metallica like Megadeth released a piece of crap , that doesnt relate much at all to their old days. Metallica like Megadeth got all their old fans all excited only to let them down once again.

Whoever said Metallica is progressing seriously needs to listen to every Metallica album since Black- they have grown progressively lazier with each release- not to mention the fact Kirk might as well not even play guitar anymore- James cant sing anymore, and Lars- well Lars was non-existant on Load and ReLoad- and god was the production on the new cd meant to bury how bad he has become? I'm sorry, whoever makes these statements about metallica- must be a die hard fan, becuase anyone with two ears could tell how pathetic metallica has become- at least Dave can still play a mean solo- excellent rhythm, and also his singing has improved- he's still a asshole with no new ideas, and pathetic songs- but at least MEgadeth can still play metal.

Metallica never said it was a return to their roots, and they are moving forward by trying new things and not sticking to the same old formula.

You are a total douche.

Ceydn- so I suppose the new formula is boring, uninspired, poorly written, poorly played, highly repetitive songs with horrible production. Wow, every band and music fan should jump on that bandwagon- they are changing the world of music arent they?

I take offense at the douche comment- name calling does nothing to prove your argument.

You show that metallica fans are highly sensitive and loyal to a fault- for some odd reason-- megadeth fans are the same way.

The problem I have is I love old Metallica and old megadeth- and to see them both put out such shit is amazing- and disrepectful towards the loyal fans .

speed said:
You show that metallica fans are highly sensitive and loyal to a fault- for some odd reason-- megadeth fans are the same way.

The problem I have is I love old Metallica and old megadeth- and to see them both put out such shit is amazing- and disrepectful towards the loyal fans .

Word.

Both bands should have bowed out gracefully like At the Gates and Carcass instead of trying to suck as much money as they can out of thier namesakes. Their "true" fans just haven't figured it out yet.

Apathy said:
I've always been a Megadeth fan, but I have to say, their last album (for a reason) was garbage. You mean to tell me St. Anger is worse then TWNAH? No. Mother. Fucking. Way. No way. That album was absolute tripe the entire way through, and I am a huge Megadeth fan. The only song worth the time was one that was only 1:26 seconds long, Silent Scorn! Everything else was disgusting.

Everyone is way to hard on St. Anger, probably because the majority of people who complain about it actually have not listened to it. The production is so far from as horrible as everyone says. Do you honestly believe this wasn't done on purpose? Metallica are the most retentive metal band, there is no way they would let something sound a certain way without making the decision to do so. If you are a Metallica fan, its a great album, if you are not, you won't like it. Its that simple. But to say TWNAH is a good album is just ludicrous.

Either that or its all the wankers who like the new shite saying they don't like it because its not the sellout shit they wrote for 13 years,

theese ppl call themselves fans of metallica cause they like one song, those of you know who you are., (Fuck you btw) And just cause your brother has Master of puppets Doesn't mean you know wtf you are talking about, technically St Anger is very complex. i like it, as for Megadeath, i dunno, didn't listen to it.

speed said:
Ceydn- so I suppose the new formula is boring, uninspired, poorly written, poorly played, highly repetitive songs with horrible production. Wow, every band and music fan should jump on that bandwagon- they are changing the world of music arent they?

I take offense at the douche comment- name calling does nothing to prove your argument.

I called you a douche because you are under some false impression that Metallica said they were returning to their roots, when they clearly stated that they were doing nothing but moving forward.

And what has their new style of music got to do with changing the world of music? They're proud of what they've written because they like it. I like St. Anger a lot. That's all that matters to me.