What Music Have You Bought Recently?

Oh well, no one ever said being a reponsible parent would be easy! :lol:

My 1 year and 9 months old daughter already knows how to show the horns and shout "heviä, heviä!" (Heavy metal, heavy metal! in Finnish) :)

edit: oh yeah, and on topic:
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient
Strapping Young Lad - Alien
Faith No More - The Real Thing

Raises hand. Abattoir Blues is freakin' amazing.

What's the Boatmans Call??

A Boatmans Call is definelty one of the best Nick Cave releases, just pure amazing. I just took a trip driving on the Oregon and northen California coast and this music was playing. It was just amazingly perfect, the music seems to be sculpting the scenery around me, or the other way around.

Heh. Sorry.

I guess I'm lucky that both my 3 year old son and my 15 month old daughter both like metal. :)

She started out liking metal, asking for Opeth and everything. Now, for some reason (I think she recently discovered what "scary" is) she told me Opeth was scary and sad. I wish she didn't think so, and maybe she'll feel differently later, but I have to do what's right for her.

She does, however, say, "Metal!" (okay, so it sounds like "mehdoo") and tries to make horns. It's hilarious. So I think there's hope...

BurningSky said:
Soundave, The Wiggles early work is far superior than the album you got. I would check out their self-titled debut and "Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle" first.

OMG, thank you. Making Wiggles recs on the Opeth board...:lol: Unbelievable. But, seriously, I appreciate it. I obviously have no idea where to start with them, so I tried to pick something that would at least be interesting. I'm trying to sneak in some cooler, less obvious kid music, but she's onto me... "Listen to kids music daddy, please?" Thankfully I still can listen to my stuff when she naps!

She started out liking metal, asking for Opeth and everything. Now, for some reason (I think she recently discovered what "scary" is) she told me Opeth was scary and sad. I wish she didn't think so, and maybe she'll feel differently later, but I have to do what's right for her.
*nod* I understand. I think she'll get back to metal in the future. Of course you've gotta do what's right for her. :)

She does, however, say, "Metal!" (okay, so it sounds like "mehdoo") and tries to make horns. It's hilarious. So I think there's hope...
Hehe. That's very cute. :)

My daughter doesn't do the horns yet, but every time we turn on Nightingale's Nightfall Overture CD, she gets this big mischievous grin on her face and starts headbanging. :heh: She also headbangs to Opeth and other stuff, but without the grin.

I'm trying to sneak in some cooler, less obvious kid music, but she's onto me... "Listen to kids music daddy, please?" Thankfully I still can listen to my stuff when she naps!

try the rockabye baby line, it's lullaby versions of Radiohead, Beatles, Floyd, Coldplay, The Cure, etc, done up with glockenspiel, xylophone, etc. arrangements are actually really good.

aaaaaand new purchases:

Odious Mortem - Cryptic Implosion
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
Ozzy - No More Tears
Queensryche - Empire
Sixteen Horsepower - Low Estate
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
Sig:Ar:Tyr - Sailing the Ancient Seas of Fate
The Sword - Age of Winters
Edguy - Hellfire Club
Mithras - Beyond the Shadows Lie Madness

3229_image_1.jpg

It's way better than Octavarium, thats for sure.

It's far from a bad album - lot's of great hooks and melodies, and still being heavy (though not as heavy as Train Of Thought) - and while there still is wankery, I don't mind it and never have. All in all, it's an ok Dream Theater album - maybe it's because I've listening to them for so long, but it just feels like I've been through this before. It's nothing new. Kinda like a new Maiden album - it serves it's purpose.
I still don't know whether I'd have bought it with my own money if I hadn't gotten it as a present - still needs a few more listens before I can determine.