What Music Theocracy Enjoys! (mostly DragonForce talk)

Ryan M.

Theocratic Fanatic
Oct 15, 2009
S.C.
Well I looked at your profile on FaceBook Val, and I saw that you like Lil Wayne, DragonForce, The Doors, Blink 182, Foo fighters, Iron Maiden, and so many different things. Never seen that much variety! :headbang:

Oh and by the way... FINALLY someone who enjoys DragonForce in the power metal scene. A lot of Symphony X fans don't like them one bit for some odd reason.

Val also likes moonlit strolls on the beach, taking bubble baths while listening to Barry Manilow, and holding hands with Shawn while they walk in the mall.

Well I looked at your profile on FaceBook Val, and I saw that you like Lil Wayne, DragonForce, The Doors, Blink 182, Foo fighters, Iron Maiden, and so many different things. Never seen that much variety! :headbang:

Oh and by the way... FINALLY someone who enjoys DragonForce in the power metal scene. A lot of Symphony X fans don't like them one bit for some odd reason.

Oh btw I really don't like DragonForce at all I have through the fire and flames on my computer but thats it. I got it stuck in my head from guitar hero. I'm not too big on them. They record they're music half speed then speed it up. It's a little bit fake..Every artist that you listed from my profile is straight from my ipod. Theres a lot of artists on there that only hold one song on my ipod.

They record they're music half speed then speed it up.

Oh, for the love of God, no they don't. This is an old, stupid rumor disproved by dozens of studio videos. It's sad to see it's still around.

I'd figure someone who'd actually recorded in a studio would know that you can't just "speed up" music like that and retain any quality. They might not be the world's greatest guitarists, but they're not frauds. They really do play that fast.

People may dislike DF for plenty of legitimate reasons, but that's not one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Val: RedFox is right. :D I've also hear that people who went to their live shows recently said they can play the riffs well. And Also they are releasing a LIVE album you know. BTW Through The Fire and The Flames isn't my fav song by them for sure. I'd say one of these: (Sonic Firestorm is BY FAR the best album because Inuhman Rampage... is a bit fake-ish, with all the weird sounds and stuff lol... same goes to Ultra Beatdown)

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked Through The Fire And The Flames then Guitar Hero killed my joy and I felt like a Simple Plan fan...

The good thing about the band is if you like one song you're bound to like them all.

I liked Through The Fire And The Flames then Guitar Hero killed my joy and I felt like a Simple Plan fan...

DF was the band that got me into power metal; I'd never heard of the stuff before 2005, and a friend was like "you gotta hear this." I have my concert t-shirt from 2006 to prove I wasn't a Guitar Hero jump-on. :Smug:

And I'll be damned if I let the band becoming popular by an unorthodox means screw with my fandom. I don't hate Muse 'cause they were in "Twilight", either. :loco:

I'm not sure I'd say they become popular due to Guitar Hero. They definitely became more popular when Through the Fire and Flames came out on Guitar Hero in Oct 2007. But the band had already hit the US mainstream in 2006 (signed with Roadrunner Records; Inhuman Rampage available in mainstream stores like Target).

My biggest gripe (and I am a Dragonforce fan) is that while they are a solid power metal band, there's easily 10-20+ others that should have gotten mainstream success before they did. Oh, well, such is the music biz. I'm happy to see any power metal break through to the general consciousness :headbang:

Reactions: Aish!
My biggest gripe (and I am a Dragonforce fan) is that while they are a solid power metal band, there's easily 10-20+ others that should have gotten mainstream success before they did. Oh, well, such is the music biz. I'm happy to see any power metal break through to the general consciousness :headbang:

Agreed. People like Symphony X and Theocracy. :headbang:

Reactions: Aish!
My biggest gripes with dragonforce revolve around how how there songs are all a bit... too similar. A friend of mine loaned me one of their albums once before I knew too much about them, and I honestly had trouble distinguishing one song from the next.

That and their songs really don't mean very much, feels like they just string a bunch of 'cool sounding' lyrics together.

Oh, for the love of God, no they don't. This is an old, stupid rumor disproved by dozens of studio videos. It's sad to see it's still around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrhiL9X_YFM

I'd figure someone who'd actually recorded in a studio would know that you can't just "speed up" music like that and retain any quality. They might not be the world's greatest guitarists, but they're not frauds. They really do play that fast.

People may dislike DF for plenty of legitimate reasons, but that's not one of them.

Alrighty then...I really didn't want it to go this far but I guess lets do it lol...

Yes I do record a lot and do a lot of studio work and YES you CAN retain the quality. Just a few eq swishes through the track once its sped up in the (speed without pitch) and your golden. Pro tools does magic. I've SEEN them live and it's by far one of the most embarrassing things to watch and thats to watch them ATTEMPT to play their own solos, solo riffs, interludes..etc. In the studio you have what I call (Mulligans & Magic). Mulligans being never ending tries to record something so difficult that you only do it once. Magic being computer effects so deep that it covers up what they play and hides every little mistake. The actual music they write is very catchy and the melodies are amazing. Yet again like someone said every song sounds like it should be in the previous one etc etc.. the drummer seems to use one or two beats. (the single double pattern over 8th notes or 16th note double pattern over 8th notes). Very limited. Oh...and when you guys get the chance. This is the best part. I actually learned Herman's solo for through the fire and flames while Sam is drinking beer in the video. Examine very closely how much faster, yet not even in the correct notes (that he recorded originally) that he hits just to make it look THAT much more complicated. I thought to myself maybe the video is off sync..until I learned that solo and that part being the only one like that. That's just a little bit of my take on them. Maybe they don't record it half speed etc etc but they still what I would call bite off more than they can chew when it comes to guitar playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrhiL9X_YFM

Oh another thing. You should find me at least ONE solo (this is in reference to your video) that doesn't use a whammy pedal. I don't know if you have ever played on one when its pitched like the way they do it. But it might as well be a machine that plays for you. Hence when they tap they ALWAYS hit that thing on. The only person I have EVER really heard tap at that speed very clean and nail it is Steve Vai. (Midway Creatures). I have heard a few songs where they tap without the pedal but its not as extreme. Try it out sometime those things are crazy fun but cheaters pedals if you ask me. Dimebag is the only person that didn't abuse that thing and just used it for cool dive bombs :)