what pickup should i get

jo jo

New Metal Member
Aug 10, 2005
:wave: i want a pickup with awsome sound for awsome leads that is not too trebeley and has a sound like john petruccis when he does that fast alternate picking and my guitars a one pickup bc rich but its a good bc rich though its not some peice of crap its one from the good old 80's because now ive heard there not very good anymore but ya what pickup should i get and i wont be getting it right away because im 16 and dont have a job yet so i probably will have to do some yardwork and crap :Spin:

What type of BC Rich do you have? They're not typically made for non-trebly leads, so I don't know what good it would do you to get new pickups instead of a new guitar.

Also, can you cool it a bit with making all these threads?

Petrucci uses/d a DiMarzio Steve's Special in the bridge. Actually, his bridge pickup was custom wound, but it's very close to a Steve Special... and it's basically a 6-string version of the Blaze that's in the Ibanez Universes. I'm not sure if it's the exact same pickups in his EB/MM guitar.

I'm not a particular fan of DiMarzios myself and I would never want Petrucci's alternate picking tone (it's full of that awful pick clack... when he speed picks really fast I stop hearing the actual notes and instead only hear the pick clack CHCKHCHKCHKCHKCHKCHK), but his tone doesn't only come from the pickups, far from it. His old tone used to be heavily processed. The new one not so much as before, but there's still a lot of gear it goes through. The Air Norton is primarily a neck pickup (and yeah, Petrucci used that one).

So if I were you I'd look into maybe trying a Seymour Duncan JB instead. If you'll like it, I have no clue.

guys: if you don't what the chckchckchckchck sound when alternate picking at illegal speeds, then you should try to pick over the last 2 or 3 frets of the neck, that reduces a lot the chckchckchck when you're shredding from the 12th fret to the 24th fret (of course, if you need the 23 and 24th frets, you need to move the pick).

i got that bc rich for 280 when its normaly about 1000 so my guitar teacher gave me a pretty good deal but what do guys think i should get for my next guitar.