What preamp tubes for an Engl e520

Shuguang 9th Gen all the way for me! Perfect balance between the (slight) harshness of a Tung Sol and the (also slight) dullness of a JJ - I emphasize slight because when I did an actual scientific re-amping test I found they really don't make all that much of a difference... (though it was still noticeable)

Shuguang 9th Gen all the way for me! Perfect balance between the (slight) harshness of a Tung Sol and the (also slight) dullness of a JJ - I emphasize slight because when I did an actual scientific re-amping test I found they really don't make all that much of a difference... (though it was still noticeable)

You have to remember that different amps react to tubes differently. The amplifier itself is a major variable, easily the biggest. Especially with fixed bias amps that are rather cold IE: Recto's etc...

In my opinion, Engl amps don't react too much with a tubes change. I speak for personal experiences. My savage had Ruby pre's and GT powers... I change all the tubes with TT V1, jj pre's and KT77 powers (instead of EL34), biased the amp, but I didn't find a noticeable improve in the sound.

You have to remember that different amps react to tubes differently. The amplifier itself is a major variable, easily the biggest. Especially with fixed bias amps that are rather cold IE: Recto's etc...

Well that's for power tubes, yeah, but for pre-amp tubes I can't imagine the difference would change much from amp to amp - still, I should try messing around with the pre-amp tubes in my Rectifier (and the ones I have lying around) to see if the differences are more (or less) pronounced than my Tiny Terror, which is what I did the tests with

Well that's for power tubes, yeah, but for pre-amp tubes I can't imagine the difference would change much from amp to amp - still, I should try messing around with the pre-amp tubes in my Rectifier (and the ones I have lying around) to see if the differences are more (or less) pronounced than my Tiny Terror, which is what I did the tests with

It would be yet another interesting test/shootout!