what should I buy SAFFIRE PRO 14 or PROFIRE 610

Donthomson

Oct 27, 2008
Hey guys,

Wondering if someone could help me towards what audio interface I should buy.

It's gonna be used for DI's mostly, so I guess it depends pretty much on the preamps.

Saffire Pro 14 seems pretty cool. Doesn't have adat though, so if you plan on connecting something to it for more inputs (such as for recording drums) that's not gonna happen. It also has 4 less line output than the Profire 610. If you're going for the Saffire Pro14 I'd recommend getting a DI box for it as discussed in this recent thread. The instrument input can be ridiculously loud when it comes to high output pickups. I could be wrong though, maybe they fixed that with this model? Who knows..

The profire 610 is also a really good interface. The only problem I've heard from it is that it doesn't take too kindly to reamping as discussed in this thread. So if you plan on doing some reamping the 610 may not be such a good idea.

Overall..I think the Saffire Pro 40 is the best bang for your bucks. has a pad for lower gain on the instrument input, has 8 inputs and adat for more, no issues I've heard from reamping, and you can find it for a pretty damn reasonable price especially on Ebay.

Dude I was weighing up basically the same dilemma only a couple of weeks ago, except I was tossing up between the Profire 610 and the Saffire Pro 24. FWIW I got the Saffire (DSP model too) because as solid as the 610 appears to be, the Saffire has those hallowed Focusrite preamps.

At the very least you're going to end up with a reasonable interface. Good luck choosing, I know I agonised for a while before making a decision.

Thanks for the answers guys, it help alot :)

Was also looking at the Pro 24, so i think im gonna go with that, need the good preamps.

But I would suggest you get a good quality DI box, like Radial J48 or Countryman Type 85

Hey ahjteam, I have recently gotten the Radial JDI passive DI box because I use active pups 81/89.