What sounds like better audial poo coming through the speakers?

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
In other words, which albums suck, but are not as bad as others, by either the same genre, band, whatever?

Machine Head - Supercharger
Yes, this album is pretty bad in comparison to the band's earlier (and later) work, but it didn't suck nearly as bad as The Burning Red.

Hypocrisy - Into the Abyss
Not a very good Hypocrisy album, but has a lot of aggression and a handful of really good riffs and 2 or 3 really good songs. Much better than the followup, Catch 22.

Yes, the thread title is a stretch. Deal with it. :loco:

Well, I'm not sure if it's relevant (because in truth I have no idea what you're going on about :loco: ), but here's a word of advice for those seeking out Diabolical Masquerade albums:

Deaths Design & Nightwork are superb. Highest recommendations.

Ravendusk and Phantom Lodge are not so good. Although not disasterous, you'll live without them.

Have you ever hunted high and low for a really HTF album, and it turns out to be a let down? It's not a good feeling, let me tell you.

Hey you asked for a thread concerning better audial poo and here it is!

And yes, HTF albums that turn out crappy can lick it, thankfully that hasn't happened too much to me.

weird, I far preffered the first two DM albums to the last two. Phantom Lodge was the best IMO, while I thought Death's Design was crap.

and I thought THe Burng Red was OK. It had some good songs.

JayKeeley said:
Well, I'm not sure if it's relevant (because in truth I have no idea what you're going on about :loco: ), but here's a word of advice for those seeking out Diabolical Masquerade albums:

Deaths Design & Nightwork are superb. Highest recommendations.

Ravendusk and Phantom Lodge are not so good. Although not disasterous, you'll live without them.

Have you ever hunted high and low for a really HTF album, and it turns out to be a let down? It's not a good feeling, let me tell you.
You are crazy. Ravendusk... is the only one I've heard, but it's fucking sick.

yeah, i don't know why Death's Design is lauded as a masterpiece. It's too fragmented to really enjoy. ANd does anyone have proof that it was actually going to be a movie, or was that just a story cooked up to add to the lore of the album? I don't know either way, just curious.

JayKeeley said:
o__o Are you sure you've listened to them enough? "Under the Banner of the Sentinel" from "Ravendusk..." is fucking genius.

As for the poo:

"The X Factor" is better audial poo than "Virtual XI"
"Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk" is better audial poo than "IX Equilibrium" which is better audial poo than "Prometheus"

Dreamlord said:
yeah, i don't know why Death's Design is lauded as a masterpiece. It's too fragmented to really enjoy. ANd does anyone have proof that it was actually going to be a movie, or was that just a story cooked up to add to the lore of the album? I don't know either way, just curious.
I have been doing a fair bit of digging around, and I'm 99% sure the whole movie thing is a hoax. Very well done, though.

Erik said:
o__o Are you sure you've listened to them enough? "Under the Banner of the Sentinel" from "Ravendusk..." is fucking genius.
Heh, I quote: "since when does one song a great album make?" No I've only listened to them once, but the comparison I'm making is to DD and Nightwork, which is what I thought the purpose of this thread was. They are much more 'immediate' and approachable to me. Certainly DD is phenomenal in a slightly more subtle 'Sigh' kind of way, and it grabbed me on first listen, as did Nightwork, hence the other thread.

It's all about audial poo. Anthems, for example, is not a bad album at all. However, it certainly is, without doubt, complete and utter audial poo compared to Nightside Eclipse which is atmospherically terrfying & beautiful. Anthems doesn't even come close to that level of atmosphere. It's very much an 'in-the-studio-with-bells-and-whistles' kind of album. It might as well have been produced at fucking Finnvox.

Demonspell said:
I've only heard the first two DM releases on mp3, but they do have some great songs on them, particularly Phantom...though not all of Blackheim's experiments work...
Demonspell - knowing your affection towards Imaginary Sonicscape, I bet you would love Death's Design (although it's not quite as 'psychadelic', but then nothing really is... :) )

I could have sworn Black Winter Day said he liked DD too, but he hasn't shown up in this thread yet...

JayKeeley said:
I could have sworn Black Winter Day said he liked DD too, but he hasn't shown up in this thread yet...
okay, i finally showed up in this thread.

1) DD is unbelievable. dreamlord, you are funny in a funny sort of way.
2) the first 2 are a bit subpar compared to the next 2, but goddamn... they are both solid as hell
3) i think i had another point. did i?