what the hell

The Unavoidable

jättebög
May 27, 2008
Umeå, Sweden
Why in the fuck did the price of 6505s rise about 200 euros overnight? All the major music stores I'm checking now stocks it for 12,750 SEK, where it previously was 9,995 SEK. What the hell, this pretty much takes it off my list of possible amps to get AND JUST WHEN I FINALLY HAD THE MONEY AS WELL

Whatever, I could just go for a Fireball or something, but I wanted a fucking 6505 bitches. Could get one used sure, but I'm looking for an amp to use and abuse for a long time and I would def prefer a brand new one. Now I'll have to score some deal from the local stores or something. CRAAAPAAASSSS

not sure if this would affect sales prices overseas, but sales taxes have increased in various parts of the US effective April 1st. so maybe distributors got hit too and are passing on the cost to the little guy? just my initial guess, i could be wrong. in which case, dont throw things unless theyre unopened beer bottles or cans.

Go for a used one, the only 5150 that i've heard that was fucked up was like 15 years old and the owner had a quite punkish attitude towards his gear.

Them fiddy one fiddys are close to indestructible.

Seriously, and I've heard of WAY more reliability problems with 6505's than 5150's, it'd be a crime to not buy one used!

I've sold my Fireball, yeah. But the quality of Engl amps is second to none. Second to fuckin' none! Have you ever heard of (built) quality issues concerning an Engl amp or cab (or any of their products)?

5150s and 6505s are very reliable amps... but compared to "Made In Germany" Engls? No contest!

That's part of the reason why the resell value of a Fireball is at least 100 € higher than a 6505 or 5150 here.

I've owned two 6505+ heads, and sold both of them, and I have a 5150 II now. I must say that the build quality and tone of the amps has been very consistent, but somehow the 5150 II seems to sound slightly better than both of the 6505+ heads I've owned, with the same brand of tubes. I've especially noticed that the 5150 II sounds better at lower volumes than the 6505+.

I've not conducted any scientific tests, though.

Sorry dude, but I gotta check you on that unverified statement, cuz I've got some pride for "Made in USA" Peaveys ;)

Hell, I have very little pride for pretty much anything American as you know Marcus, but "Made in USA" Peaveys really are about as reliable as they come.

SRSLY.

Again, as I said, from my experience those Peaveys are very reliable, trusty amps. And I really don't want to step on anyone's toes, I love that amp just like almost anyone else. But the fact that I've never experienced any issue with an Engl product that wasn't user-conducted or heard from anyone experiencing something like this, is almost frightening to me.

I'm not an Engl-überfanboy but based on my experience, I'd say these are - alongside Mesas - probably the best mass production amps available in terms of build quality. IMO... of course.

If my initial statement came off as patriotic ranting, that was probably due to the fact that I was quite hammered when I typed this. :lol: But I stand at it...

Again, as I said, from my experience those Peaveys are very reliable, trusty amps. And I really don't want to step on anyone's toes, I love that amp just like almost anyone else. But the fact that I've never experienced any issue with an Engl product that wasn't user-conducted or heard from anyone experiencing something like this, is almost frightening to me.

I'm not an Engl-überfanboy but based on my experience, I'd say these are - alongside Mesas - probably the best mass production amps available in terms of build quality. IMO... of course.

If my initial statement came off as patriotic ranting, that was probably due to the fact that I was quite hammered when I typed this. :lol: But I stand at it...
Fomer guitarist of mine had an engl E840/50 poweramp...turned it on and the PCB began to glow white. This is really the worst Amp breakdown i ever saw or even heard of. But on the other hand, in another band i played the other guitarist's Pball fell off his halfstack when driving into the studio and nothing happened Too bad because then we would have used my XXX and not the mudball :lol: but i don't think that the engls are ÜBER-reliable in fact some amptechs i talked to said that their soldering work is really poor and so on.
But in a studio situation who cares as long as they sound good...but on the road i would think twice.

Bullshit to Peavey and reliability: i am on my third 6505 in 12months and i am just waiting for that one to go pop as well. They have seriuos quality issues:mad:
As for buying a second-hand 5150 in Sweden...that is not so easy.

Teh Germanz always make good stuff!

shamwow-snuggie-slanket.jpg

Bullshit to Peavey and reliability: i am on my third 6505 in 12months and i am just waiting for that one to go pop as well. They have seriuos quality issues:mad:
As for buying a second-hand 5150 in Sweden...that is not so easy.

Yes! What many people might forget in this discussion is that in order to buy things used, there actually has to be people selling them aswell! :lol: The used gear market in Sweden is pretty lame, and even more so becuse I live way up north as most gear is sold from the major cities in the south. This is a problem becuse most sellers don't feel like arranging shipping for a 20kg head to go 800 miles when they just aswell can get someone next door to buy it. And since there are so few people selling these stuff, the prices aren't very competative either.