Framus vs. Engl vs. Marshall

xmarcelx said:
Hey Jacob what was used on the "Heaven Shall Burn - Deaf to our Prayers"? I really like the tone on this record!
I was wondering coz afaik they play Powerball and Cobra live!

I believe I used MESA dual Recto on 2 of the 4 guitartracks, the rest was Engl. Not too bad. Just a tad too bright and aggressive to my taste.

Jacob Hansen said:
I believe I used MESA dual Recto on 2 of the 4 guitartracks, the rest was Engl. Not too bad. Just a tad too bright and aggressive to my taste.
Haha I saw them live yesterday and they played these two amps...
maybe did made them switch from cobra to recto?

I play the warp T half stack and I love it.

When you use a mesa box with v30 or the good old marshall the sound is so amazing.

Very fat bass great punch nice midd and very clear + an unbelievelbel clean channel.

I played this year with hand to hand and scars of tomorrow live and they both used my amp and loved it.

The guy from hand to hand wanna buy it when he´s back in USA

Jacob Hansen said:
I would avoid Engl. They wont cut it, I think. Framus is indeed special. But why not a Krank?

Im done some shows with various bands featuring Samoth. So far Ive mixed Scum and Zyklon and Im doing some work with Emperor soon. Samoth takes his Engl head with him everywhere and it sounds great!

There are two guitar players in my band. One of them use an Engl powerball and the other use a Framus Dragon. They sound great together and I love the fact that we don't sound like your average mesa/peavey band.
Don't get me wrong, I'm planinng on gettin both a dual rectifier and a 5150 for my other band and I love both of these amps.
There's no way you can say that one amp is better than another. It comes down to taste and you''ll find that the amps you thought you wouldn't like may sound better at some stuff than the ones you thought you would like.

Keiffer said:
the last thing I would do is make an amp judgement based on a clip posted anywhere. clips are solely someones opinion at the moment and are seldom representative of an amp's capacity in general.

i pretty much agree with this...you can't completely throw the tone you hear in clips out the window, but in any clip you hear there is just too much going on with the sound outside of the amp itself to REALLY judge an amp based on it

i own a framus cobra myself, and love it...i've heard a lot of clips of the amp, some really great sounding ones...yet none of them really sound like my cobra rig at all (take a listen if you want, i've not heard any other cobra clips that really sound like this http://disvisioned.net/clips/cobrahead_thieves.mp3 )

the engl, dsl100, and cobra are all great amps...i don't think there's any one that's superior to the others, it's just a matter of personal preference; like a guy said before, the cobra has this unique voicing that you'll love or hate...it's a wierd amp to get used to, and it takes some time before it really grows on you as a player

Where She Wept said:
Dud, how could you get an Engl that cheap? the powerball is close to double what a DSL100 costs over here!? I looked up a DSL100 on musiciansfrend.com $1,649.99 USD and the powerball i priced at a dealler costs $2500 USD + tax. no quite double but close enough.

if an engl dealer told you $2500 for a powerball head, they were trying to rip you off...the retail price on those is $1839, and engl dealers are like mesa in that they're all supposed to sell things at the same price...i'd call that dealer up and raise some hell, then order your engl here (if you seriously want one)

http://www.rocksolidamps.com/description.php?II=20&UID=2006100608385966.191.191.104

cobrahead1030 said:
if an engl dealer told you $2500 for a powerball head, they were trying to rip you off...the retail price on those is $1839, and engl dealers are like mesa in that they're all supposed to sell things at the same price...i'd call that dealer up and raise some hell, then order your engl here (if you seriously want one)

http://www.rocksolidamps.com/description.php?II=20&UID=2006100608385966.191.191.104

Not to mention also that the Engl resale prices are significantly lower than dealer prices. so if anyone is interested, keep your eyes on Harmony Central, Rig Talk, and ebay. you'll find a deal eventually. If not I can vouch for the Fireball which sounded AWESOME. I want another one!!

-Joe

I'm not a fan of framus and heres why... I've done alot records with bands that have framus endorsements and i gotta say everytime i mic up one of those amps i cant get any sounds with them that i cant do better with a 5150 or recto. The amp is not horrible, but there is just nothing in that amp that makes it worth my while when i have an uberschall, a blackmore, 5150s rectos etc... at my disposal. Also, i've heard they are quite unreliable for gigging, but i cant back that up since i dont gig with the amp. For whats it worth, i love my blackmore, and i honestly think its the best sounding engl to my ears, thats why i bought it.

hope that helps

i've found the cobra is really picky when it comes to what cab you run it thru...you can put a 5150 or recto on just about anything and get a good sound, but the with the cobra it can REALLY make or break the tone

this can be a good thing because i find with a cobra and a few different cabs, i've got some pretty different tones available...but if you just wanna plug in and go with something, that's more difficult

it's a great amp, but definitely not for most people i'd say

from what i know, the guys from KSE had trouble with a framus dragon they had because of the cab (i BELIEVE there was a bad speaker jack connection, which eventually messed up the output tranny) but it started a bunch of rumours about framus stuff being unreliable...i know i've had mine for 2 years, with plenty of use and zero problems...a handful of guys i know have used them without trouble as well; but i really don't think they're a popular enough amp to really say if they have reliability issues

Both myself and the other guitarist in my band play Gibson’s straight into Marshall TSL100's. By themselves our tones are nothing that would blow you away. But in the context of the whole band playing together, the tones sound great.

Marshall’s just have nice and pure, uncomplicated power. For the "Classic" style metal we play they are perfect. If I was in a death metal band I would probably want something different.

the DSL100 i think is a really kickass amp, when i picked up my splawn cab a few years ago i spent some time playing one they had in stock thru my cab and some of theirs' and honestly it's one of the better sounding amps i've played thru

as a rule i don't like them when paired with the 1960 cabs, but karl sanders of nile uses that setup and his rig sounds pretty damn good...altho i'm pretty sure he's using the green channel with a boost

Hey OSOH,

Come over to the studio and try out our Framus Cobra.

CJWall said:
You have a Cobra now? Killer! :)

Yeah, after merging with another studio. Also,

Madison
Rivera
Splawn
(2) Framus Cobras
Dual Rect
And some overhauled Marshall that was owned by Al Petrilli

the DSL100 can sound preety damn heavy with a booster infront (the SD-1 works great),
not as tight as the Framus or the Engl though.

MKS said:
Yeah, after merging with another studio. Also,

Madison
Rivera
Splawn
(2) Framus Cobras
Dual Rect
And some overhauled Marshall that was owned by Al Petrilli

what splawn do you have? i think i'm gonna pick up a new quickrod next year