what to use with Vintech pre?

fistula

Producer/Mixing Engineer
Jul 18, 2006
hi guys - i want to buy a vintech x73 pre - so i got a question - is my sound card ok for such a piece of HW?
i have m-audio delta 44 and edirol fa-66
do i need to buy external ad/da converters or another sound card?

and - is there any sense to buy this thing?)))coz its not cheap at all...

not to say you shouldn't get it or anything, but i'd bet that with your converters/interface, you likely wouldn't be able to reap all of the sonic benefits of such a damned expensive preamp

It's based on a Neve 1073 right? Should be great for guitars, but I'm sure it will sound amazing on every instrument....

Guitar, overdriven bass, snare, vox...

Although I'd agree that you'll really want to upgrade your ADC before getting a boutique preamp.

I have a Vintech X81, and many other high end pres (API, Purple Audio, Chandler, A-Designs...). The X81 is awesome for guitars( on every source dare I say), good converters will make it shine a lot more IMO. I just got a Lavry AD10, can't wait to try it with the Vintech on guitars. Anyway you won't be disappointed, you can buy a good converter later ;)
I posted a thread recently where you can hear the Vintech against other good pres.

Personally I think the money would be better spent on an RME FF400 and an API lunchbox with one or two modules...

and what do you think about seventh circle stuff? for the money of one vintech x73 i can buy FF400 and N72 pre with powerchasis...

i think he's talking about 512c....

i need 1 pre only - thats my problem - i dont want to pay for any chasis etc - coz i need only one channel

i need 1 pre only - thats my problem - i dont want to pay for any chasis etc - coz i need only one channel

The A-designs 500HR is a dual channel chassis...may be worth looking at.

Which API modules would you get in your opinion?

Well the 512c if you wanna go API, yeah, but what's so awesome about those 500 series racks is that SO much awesome stuff (A-Designs, Great River, Purple Audio, API, Brent Averill, Shadow Hills, etc.) is available for 'em, and each module is like $500-$700 - it doesn't take too much math wizardry to realize that you get an INFINITELY better deal by going the lunchbox/module route rather than buying a bunch of one- or two-channel individual rack preamps for like $1500-$2000 each!

And yeah, +1 on that A-Designs two-slotter, Gorath, though the prices of the modules are so cheap, I still think I'd wanna go for a lunchbox to have room for the expandability! (and an API lunchbox is only like $300 more than the A-Designs, and you get 4 more slots...)

Oooh, and holy shit, definitely didn't know you could get a Chandler Germanium Preamp in a 500 series module as well!! Jesus christ, the 500 series rack idea is the most fucking brilliant thing ever.

EDIT: Hmm, looks like Chandler doesn't seem to like the 6-unit API Lunchbox. Well whatever, even a more expensive version (like the Brent Averill one) is still a fucking steal when you get all the modules!

I used a Vintech Dual 72 for years with a Delta 1010 & it worked great.

Great on guitars, drums, you name it. Still have it 8 years later. You might want to think about going with an RME though for best results. The m-audio will do the job, but the RME rocks.

fuck me!(((( i lost this item on ebay((( some one did a higher bid.... aggrhhh