What Would YOU Do? (Peavey content; no Jesus)

iekobrid

Authorized XSr™ Dealer
Feb 2, 2006
Doogie Howser, MD
I recently won a 5150 212 combo on Ebay. The auction photos showed rust on the cabinet screws and speaker hardware, but it was described as working and sounding great with no electronic issues, so I decided the price was low enough that I could live with the cosmetics.

Imagine my disappointment when it arrived and I discovered that:

¤ the grounding prong was missing from the lead

¤ two of the preamp tube sockets hang loose because of missing screws

¤ when set to the Rhythm channel, the Rhythm Pre knob is the only one that does anything. The Low EQ, Mid EQ, High EQ, and Rhythm Post knobs have no effect on the audio whatsoever. Also, the Low EQ knob only turns between positions 10 and 7, where it meets physical resistance and stops.

¤ when set to the Lead channel, the Lead Post knob is the only one that does anything. The Low EQ, Mid EQ, High EQ, and Lead Pre knobs have no effect on the audio whatsoever. Also, the Lead Pre knob only turns between positions 10 and 6, where it meets physical resistance and stops.

¤ the channel switch button works, but there is a reverb crash noise when switching from Lead to Rhythm, despite the reverb effect not actually being audible while playing in either mode.

¤ the Effects Send and Return jacks seem okay, but the Resonance and Presence knobs in the power amp section have little or no effect on the sound.

Now, I'm not here trying to bash the seller, or to vent, or looking for sympathy. He seems sincere about being unaware of the problems and about wanting to make things right, and has given me a couple options. I have an inquiry in to my local Peavey repair guy, but would really appreciate your thoughts, too. Here are the options so far:

#0) There was no apparent damage to the outside of the packaging when it arrived, so there's little or no chance of successfully filing a claim with the delivery folks. So that's not an option, really, I just thought I would address it before anyone asked.

#1) The seller will take the item back and give a full refund, which would work out to each of us having paid for shipping one way. I'd be cool with that; I'd certainly rather be out $80 and lesson learned than $400+.

#2) The seller would refund me $260 (I don't know how he arrived at that particular figure) and I would be responsible for repairs on my own. If nothing else, I could salvage the speakers, which appear to be UK-made 1970s Celestion G12M "blackbacks" and seem to work fine. The fixit joints around here usually charge $80 just to do a diagnostic, so I'm thinking I would rather spend that on return shipping and wash my hands of the whole thing.

So what do y'all think?

Does the one-working-knob-per-channel ring any bells with those of you who have owned 5150s before?

Is there any chance in hell that $260 would cover repairs on all the problems listed?

I haven't pulled the chassis yet, so for all I know entire sections of PCB could be slagged. I'm going to try swapping out all the preamp tubes this evening to see if that solves the no-EQ problem, but even if it does, a pair of pots still have mechanical problems and probably need to be replaced.

IMO, you should return it and he should credit you the amount you paid to ship it back in addition to the initial purchase+shipping cost. You bought the item under the description given of a working amp...The item did not fit the description, so it is a fraudulent listing and you shouldn't be out a thing since you held up your end of the deal by being an honest buyer.

If it comes down to having to pay shipping vs. losing MORE than shipping costs for repairs, then eat the shipping money.

Maybe I'm in the wrong, but IMO when you buy something through ebay, my thought process on reversing the purchase would be the same as a store, unless the auction specifies no returns or refunds. At a store, if something doesn't work, you get a full refund, even if purchased online. if the auction states item is as is, no refunds or returns, then that is a risk only the buyer can choose to take (and hope the seller is honest and/or knows what he's talking about).

I'd like to exhaust the "let's work together to solve this" angle first while the seller is being cooperative, and reserve filing a complaint as a last resort. Omertà and all that. ;)

The guy has enough positive transaction ratings that I'm willing to believe -- for now -- that he wasn't trying to scam me outright. It's certainly possible that UPS did their usual shake & bake number on the package in transit (the power tubes had all but shaken loose from their sockets), we just can't prove it without easily documented damage to the packaging or chassis. And while he also can't prove it was working fine before he boxed it up, neither can I prove that I didn't take a sloppy screwdriver and fuck the amp up as soon as it arrived. "Benefit of a doubt" goes both ways.

Trust me, if I really believed he was trying to pull a fast one, I'd be talking to family in the state where he lives, not PayPal. Before I even wrote him about the lack of functionality, I'd sussed his home address, his place of business, the name of his band, where he's playing the next two months, and located pictures of him, his house, and his truck. :saint:

I say #1 without a doubt, and you can still leave him positive feedback saying something like "seller was very helpful in resolving misunderstanding" or something, so everyone's happy! But you really should demand that he cover the shipping (ask nicely at first, of course, and then proceed from there)

The seller should eat all shipping cost for broken gear - both ways.
No reason for you to pay $80 to return something broken.

Just thinking out loud here but...
...maybe the seller will cover repairs from a professional (if he trusts you). Look at it this way - he's out $160 anyway (or at least he will be) and it seems a waste to give that back to the boys in brown (what does brown mean to me indeed!)

wendy-truck.jpg

Bastards, always smashing shit.

Call me crazy....but Id take the $260 and try to fix it if the guts are the correct ones for the anp. You may even be able to get more out of him. The fact that he offered that much makes it seem a little suspicious to me.
Good luck either way. Its tough working out these things. I've had very few problems with ebay transactions. When I got something that didnt match the description I unfortunately had to file a complaint with paypal....it did't solve anything. I was told I could only get a refund if the item was not received. You are lucky that the buyer is willing to set things straight.

My local Peavey rep is pushing for the partial refund & repair option.

On the one hand, duh, he's got a kid to feed. :) But on the other hand, he says that as long as the PCB isn't cracked*, a repair budget of $260 would probably leave me with cash left over. So now the needle is swinging back thattaway.

* [I checked, it isn't]

I'd go with the 260..
that'd mean a broken 5150 for like 150$ or what?

$125 + $80 s/h

Yeah, it's kind of hard to argue with math like that. :lol: Plus the seller thinks the speakers (1970s Celestions) are worth more than that by themselves, so double win.

I guess what I'm really worried about is: if I get it fixed and I don't like how it sounds afterwards, how would I know if it's because the 5150 combo "just isn't for me" or if it's because the repair guy fixed it wrong? I don't have any other Fiddys sitting around to compare with. :/

I guess what I'm really worried about is: if I get it fixed and I don't like how it sounds afterwards, how would I know if it's because the 5150 combo "just isn't for me" or if it's because the repair guy fixed it wrong? I don't have any other Fiddys sitting around to compare with. :/

That's a tough call... I thought my combo was broken for the longest time cause i couldnt get the sound I wanted.

Turned out it was me all along.:loco: now I DIG IT!

It would be best if you could try it against another one, cause ya gotta be able to trust your gear.

Or maybe he will fix it to sound even better than a stock 5150?

Or maybe he will fix it to sound even better than a stock 5150?

Anything's possible, though I won't hold my breath waiting! :lol: At the very least, I'll inquire about a bias mod.

And yeah, it seems like every amp I buy lately sounds great in the store but like ass when I get it home. So either I develop magic fingers when I leave the house, or the trunk of my car absorbs tone crystals, or every single one of my cabinets suck. Hmm, that last one might not be far off... :erk:

I'd love for there to be an online database where we could download a picture of a wave form indicating "This is what the Line Out signal of product ABC, revision XYZ, should sound like when all the controls are set to 12 o'clock noon and you run sine wave PDQ through it."