What would you prefer to use and why: Jackson RR5 or a Gibson Exploror

Explorers have humbuckers...

Who really cares about the paint. The Mahogany body is great for warm tone and the pickups are awesome. I love the 500T. Go buy a crapass Jackson if you want paint.

Id go for the jackson, just because it's more comfy to play standing, and it feels better for playing faster stuff. It's all personal preference though.

I've played both quite a bit a few years back... and I it comes down to preference....

I like Explorers... they have a cool shape, and the large-ish body seems to give a really nice tone. Are they all neck-thru? I'm not sure, but the one I had was, and it played like a dream (well, it played like a dream AFTER Gibson put a new neck on for me when I broke the headstock of the original one :cry: )

The cons to the Explorer is that it's awkward. It doesn't sit right in normal guitar stands... you need to hang it on the wall off one of those guitar hooks. It's also heavier due to the large body, so that may be an issue to some as well. Sitting down playing, I always seemed to run the ass end of it into stuff when I would move around because of the way it sticks out. I have to say though... the one I had was one of the best playing guitars I have ever owned, with a sound to match.

The RR5 is slim and sleek, and effortless hanging off a strap around your neck for hours on end. The tone isn't near as warm, possibly due to the smaller body mass, but that may not be an issue depending on what you do with it. You likely wouldn't even notice it if doing really heavy stuff. Solo work rocks on Rhoads style V's as well... those upper frets just jump right out at you.

Sitting down and playing an RR5 can be uncomfortable for some, but for me, I love it. Rather than trying to hold it like you'd hold a strat when sitting, I actually put the bottom V between my legs and hold the guitar up at an angle a bit. This rocks for me (tall and long arms), and makes solo work even easier.

The Rhoads V's are so nimble too... easy to thrash around and get crazy with.

Bottom line... I like both guitars a lot. Go play both for a few hours at Guitar Center or something, and see what you think. If I was to choose between the two right now, I'd go with the RR5.