What's a good starting point?

Revenant

Suodeth
Apr 18, 2002
Wooster, Ohio
I've heard great things about this band but i haven't really heard enough of their material to get an idea of what they're like. If anyone could give a good album to start with that would help. Are there different sides to their music, as in Opeth has heavy material but also very melodic, clean material. Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks

I like Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Tonight's Decision. Both are a great place to start.

get Brave Murder Day :worship: as soon as you read this.

since you're apparently into Opeth, you'll surely like it as Åkerfeldt is doing all vocals there, except for one song.

If you are into Opeth pick "Brave Murder Day" and "Sounds Of Decay" :) But I agree with all "Last Fair..." worshippers here... it's their most catchy album I think and the one which you will listen till death ;)

just get 'Viva Emptiness', 'Discouraged Ones' and 'Brave Murder Day'. these are the most significant Katatonia albums and epresent the broad varierty of their sound. well, i personally don't agree on 'LFDGD' being their masterpiece. for me it's a quite mediocre album (with exception of these brilliant tracks: Tonight's Music, Future Of Speech, Sweet Nurse, Teargas and We Must Bury You), but you'll have to judge for yourself. better d'load some tracks from each album so that you know how they sound and then buy them all :lol:

Hypnos said:
better d'load some tracks from each album so that you know how they sound and then buy them all :lol:

STFU.......

Actually we here at the Katatonia discourage D'loading Katatonia.....it is completely against the bands wishes.......

My advice to you would be to buy any of their last 5 alblums....of which any one of them will not be an accurate representation of Katatonia......Katatonia has evolved with every alblum....that is definately part of their charm......you can find Katatonia CDs for cheap on ebay or half.com.....maybe one of the comps...or both would be best....that is a very good place to start.....Brave Yester Days is a compilation of their older stuff(harsh vocals)...and Black Sessions is a comp of their new stuff (clean vocals)...
here are a few links to check out....

http://cgi.ebay.com/KATATONIA-Brave...Z4769660340QQcategoryZ307QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Black-Sessi...Z4768096104QQcategoryZ307QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck dude..... :wave:
Reece

just get the two collections, Brave yesterdays (the heavy era) and the black sessions (the soft era..),
and see which one you like.
they give you a pretty good clue to how Katatonia has sounded over the years.

Deliverance6 said:
STFU.......

Actually we here at the Katatonia discourage D'loading Katatonia.....it is completely against the bands wishes.......

My advice to you would be to buy any of their last 5 alblums....of which any one of them will not be an accurate representation of Katatonia......Katatonia has evolved with every alblum....that is definately part of their charm......you can find Katatonia CDs for cheap on ebay or half.com.....maybe one of the comps...or both would be best....that is a very good place to start.....Brave Yester Days is a compilation of their older stuff(harsh vocals)...and Black Sessions is a comp of their new stuff (clean vocals)...
here are a few links to check out....

http://cgi.ebay.com/KATATONIA-Brave...Z4769660340QQcategoryZ307QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Black-Sessi...Z4768096104QQcategoryZ307QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck dude..... :wave:
Reece

so you want to state, that downloading some tracks to check how the band sounds and then buying the albums if you like it is against the bands wishes?
dude, that's the way how a lot of people discovered Katatonia. surely a lot of them are die-hard fans now, who buy every Kata-release as soon as it comes out. i don't want to start a mp3/downloading discussion again, but i'm sure it's not again the bands wishes if someone d'loads some tracks to check their sound and buys their albums if he/she likes it...

First, get Vaginal Jesus's Affirmative Appartheid

Then get Last Fair Deal Gone Down

After that, go buy Anal Cunt's I Like It When You Die

Then buy Viva Emptiness

Buy Chris Issak's Heart Shaped World

Then buy Discouraged Ones

Buy The Raunchous Brothers' Die! Faggot Die!

Then buy Tonight's Decision

After that, buy Devo's Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!

Buy Brave Murder Day

Then buy Cannibal Corpse's The Bleeding

Then buy Dance of December Souls, but be sure to also get the best of Men Without Hats (including *Safety Dance*)

-Vince